Pokйmon Tales: Lavender Town Syndrome

Hello.

Some of you might be familiar with Pokйmon, some won't. However, it's been a huge part of my childhood - we had a lot of fun with the series, the cards, the gameboy.

But, Pokйmon isn't just all about stuffed animals whom fight each other for fun. It has been, since its release, been a thread of haunted games, creepy stories and whatsoever. All of them are fake, but pretty enjoyable to read. I will tell it as if it is actually true - to increase reading pleasure, of course

I will explain you them in a serie of tales, consisting of 4 parts.

Part II: Lavender Town Syndrome

As you might know, or not, the original GameBoy games (Red/Blue) had some very nice soundtracks. More specifically, one of them became a myth and an addiction for a lot of players: the song of Lavender Town, the ghost town.

You can listen to the Red version here:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_411G29lfy4[/ame]

Pretty addictive, isn't it?

However, in the Green version, the first game, which only got released in Japan, they used another version. With a higher pitch. And binaural beats. And with disastrous effects. But first, something about physics. Actualy science.

I mentioned binaural beats earlier - but what are they? Binaural beats is music which gives a different sound in your left ear than in your right ear. But not just that. Their frequency is very close to each other, they beats are just slightly different. They reach a special state: they go in resonance with your brain.

Now, resonance is another weird physical term. Resonance is a certain frequency where objects can start shaking extensively. Which can lead to wonderful results. Images you wouldn't think they're possible. An example is the Tacoma Bridge. This was a bridge which went in resonance with the air, wind around it. This is what happened (1:00)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xE_nT3QySo[/ame]

This video hasn't been edited in any way. The bridge is made of solid concrete. Pretty impressive, isn't it?

Now back to binaural beats. Some people, even some scientists, claim that certain binaural beats can go in resonance with your brain. Giving effects on what happens in it. Most notorious would be the hypothalamus. This is the main part of your body which produces hormones. Eg, a certain binaural beat might cause the hypothalamus go in resonance, therefore releasing Dopamine. Dopamine is a hormone which gives you a feeling of joy. Aka, a drug, made by nothing but...sound!

Now back to Pokйmon. The story tells the original music had a higher pitch and binaural beats, as mentioned earlier. But, the frequencies were also going in resonance with your brain. Causing your brain to make you feel depressed. After the release of the game, hundreds of children got addicted to the song, were depressed. Two of them committed suicide after listening to the song for some straight hours.

Scary? Wait until you hear the rest of the story.

A sound engineer, who used to play Pokйmon a lot when he was younger, remembered the tale. He knew how sound works, and analyzed the song. He discovered the song was far from "perfect", to be in complete resonance with your body and to have the most effect.

He edited the song in that way, it became perfect. The sound, the pitch, the frequency... All adjusted to your body. He spent weeks on making the song just perfect. He eventually managed to make the song. Some days later, he was found dead in his room. Suicide. His headphones plugged in, replaying the original Lavender Town music continuously.

His best friend knew about the story, and published the finished song on the internet, to honour his friend. You can listen to it here:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK2iLnTR9V8[/ame]

Don't worry, you're not gonna die. I listened to it several times. And I'm not dead At least, not that I know...You can also read the story of the friend in the video description.

Notice something at 8:50. It shows something on your screen. Something scary. You can say "it's just a video". But no. It's not just a video.

This is, fellow readers, a spectograph. A visualisation of the sound frequencies. A real one. You can check this yourself - download any "spectogram" program and run the song in it.

I did it myself, and adjusted the range of frequencies to be shown just a little bit. I didn't edit anything of the song.

There is. A Ghost.

And next to it. Text. Text made of Unown Pokйmon. It states: "LEAVE NOW".

Spooky, and scary.

Just like the previous story: why did the Pokйmon developpers add this to a children's game? Why did they add such a creepy song, with so much dramatic effects? Why in earths name is there a GHOST and a WARNING in the song itself? Or is it more than that? Is the game actually haunted? I leave the answers to you...

Holy fuck, i have a friend who is addicted to the red version...

I'm addicted to the song :3

This is quite... interesting indeed.