Is it still worth it?

Kalcor

If you are really going to create version 0.3.9, create a sub so we can discuss the new version.

Let's move on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcor
View Post
Would you be happy if sa-mp decided to run all the sa-mp servers?
I'd be fine if sa-mp decides to host all servers as long as the owners still have enough access to customize the server, the script, plugins, logs, etc (probably not gonna be possible, lol). It shouldn't have anything to do with SA-MP since Discord is just a text/chat platform. Although they host the servers, users can still customize them to fit their needs.

On topic,
Quote:
View Post
Here's what I really think:

This mod is going down and there's nothing I can do about it.
You said it yourself, the mod is "going down" but you refuse to simply merge DL to the main branch(and maybe fix a few bugs) because it lacks interest from players. How can you not see that people only have no interest in it because its not the main version, its in beta, and its not in the sa-mp.com downloads page anymore? Merging both branches could probably kill the mod, yes, but it could just be the feature that attracts new and old players back to playing the game! It's a leap of faith. You can either let the mod die by not adding new features, or you can at least give it a chance to grow again by giving us cool updates.

I also think you're not adding major updates not because of lack of player interest, but because you lack motivation. That's understandable since you've been developing this mod for over 10 years and you're probably tired of it. I'm not saying you should open-source it, but it would make sense for you to have someone else help develop and continue to provide updates.

But in the end it's all your decision, and I hope whatever it is you choose, it's for the best of the community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurta999
View Post
Kalcor, what about contacting the guy on GTAForums who made SAMP Addon? He fixed/improved there plenty of things, almost all of them should be in samp by default. Players would benefit from it. (I know its not that easy, its just an idea. )

https://gtaforums.com/topic/760017-samp-addon/
If some of the fixes are implemented, it has to be properly tested though. There are many issues and unwanted behaviour with the SA-MP Add-on. Currently we highly don't recommend our players using it.

@Kalcor, have you looked up on foreign languages projects anytime?
I'm developing and owning the biggest polish RolePlay project LS-STORIES.PL on SA-MP (average 200 players in the evenings).
I have used the maximum possibilities of 0.3DL - it's very stable in my opinion and.. just look at this! That's very accurate example of that how useful is DL version of SA-MP:

All images from RolePlay project ls-stories.pl

And yeah, again, im saying that 0.3DL is very stable if only you are good developer That's good example of how sa-mp 0.3DL is valuable in immersional RolePlay gameplay

Kalcor should make a FAQ answering frequent arguments like 'why did you do this?' or 'why don't you do x'

Why do people requesting Voice-chat and other things? The most important thing right now is to merge 0.3.7 and DL with bug fixes. Surely,it would bring back lots of players when it got released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluur
View Post
@Kalcor, have you looked up on foreign languages projects anytime?
I'm developing and owning the biggest polish RolePlay project LS-STORIES.PL on SA-MP (average 200 players in the evenings).
I have used the maximum possibilities of 0.3DL - it's very stable in my opinion and.. just look at this! That's very accurate example of that how useful is DL version of SA-MP:
Yeah, that server looks great. willttoonn has done a great job selling DL also.

My problem is that not all sa-mp servers will look like that. The older sa-mp servers don't have the resources to make new models, and it's unclear their players even want them.

It's like having two seperate versions is the right call for now, even though it disadvantages the DL servers.

Quote:
View Post
and it's unclear their players even want them.
Yes, we want 0.3.7 and 0.3DL to be combined into one version. Why don't you hear us?

Quote:
View Post
My problem is that not all sa-mp servers will look like that. The older sa-mp servers don't have the resources to make new models, and it's unclear their players even want them.
I mean... If they don't have the resources, they don't have to make them. A server in DL version can function without having ANY custom assets in it if the owner wants it to be.

It's pretty much this.
Does a server owner wants his server to have custom assets? Sure, make them and implement.
A server owner does not want them? No problem, simply don't implement them.

I don't see where is the problem. If a server doesn't want custom assets, they can simply not implement them and function their server as normally without custom assets in DL version.

Quote:
View Post

It's like having two seperate versions is the right call for now, even though it disadvantages the DL servers.
Instead of separating it, put a manual option to activate in a version or not.

it's a mistake you remove DL in version 0.3.9

Quote:
View Post

Just take the feature of models downloading (artwork) as any other samp features that can be enabled or disabled. We have many optional settings in server.cfg, and yet, you did not split the versions when you added lagcomp, NPC, actors etc... Why do you see the problem is that those who don't need DL feature they won’t be able to just turn it off, I really don't understand.

Quote:
View Post

Take a chance with manual feature to enable DL or not on 0.3.9

Hide SA-MP DL Edition, open a SA-MP 0.3.9 Update and let's discuss it

Quote:
View Post

You're worried about the laggards. You don't choose to go with the front runners

Quote:
View Post

I will hold a poll and topic in my community asking players if they'd be interested and if they'd be willing to move over. I suggest other server owners to hold a poll on their website and present the results here in some time.

Furthermore, I can provide a link to you if you want to read every reply as well, if you don't only want to see the poll numbers.

This is an opportunity for everyone to show what the players want.

Quote:
View Post

In any situation where the server doesn't have resources/their players don't want them, couldn't the decision sit with the owner of the server to decide whether or not they want to toggle it?

It's seriously a gamechanger to be able to leverage download capabilities for SAMP, and the image that I sent in my last post shows a great example of how we've taken advantage of it. I'm sure there's many other examples from other (big) servers, too.

Quote:
View Post
The older sa-mp servers don't have the resources to make new models, and it's unclear their players even want them.
Why wouldn't older servers have the resources to make models? If that 'older' server is still in development, why wouldn't they be able to add models. LS-RP is an old server, they use the DL models feature?

There are even some server owners who have said that they wouldn't mind releasing the models for everyone to use if DL gets merged with the new version. When that happens there will be plenty of resources available to download and use. When players get in contact with the new DL features they will love it, it might even encourage some of the players to start creating some skins or objects that the server can use or the player can release.

If the servers chooses not to use the custom models, that's fine too! Let the servers that are showing their creativity with the custom objects and skins (there are many examples on this forum) do their thing, don't "punish" them by giving them a seperate version that's difficult to find for new players.

I love the DL features since I've first seen it appear on the forums. I'm not a server owner, hence why I don't think you'll take my comment "seriously". There are so many of us who love the DL features (Including some of the big server owners!), so many of us who are trying to convince you that the DL features are worth it and will be a big thing in SA:MP. It would be waste of your development time, time of the people who already moved their server to the DL version (they have to revert changes if they want to have access to the majority of the playerbase) and it would be a waste of all these promising creative servers that make full use of the DL features.

Quote:
View Post

I believe large english servers will be like that, as large servers tend to be serious. And for example my servers (WTLS) will always be based on GTA/singleplayer.

Looking at the numbers of all possible maps that were released here, we can guess there will be a lot of custom objects/skins released if the DL is official and more people will dedicate themselves in creating DL content. Thus small servers will be able to get some custom content, if they don't wish to create theirs.

Looking at the ongoing poll on our servers, there are currently 279 votes for DL and 14 votes against DL, from our players. Majority of our players want the DL, unfortunatelly I can't give them DL, as I prefer staying on official SA-MP version. I assume similar results could be reached on most of other servers, because players are really excited about DL feature, from what I can tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhymed32
View Post
please increase the number of slots to 1500-2000
Who actually needs that?

Kalcor

Don't let it go unnoticed, let's discuss version 0.3.9 in a sub.

This is the moment!

I'm not sure about player numbers, but I am certain that we need a bigger vehicle limit.

Can you go a bit into detail why limits exist?