Is it still worth it?

I started making a gamemode from scratch again yesterday, it really developed just in a day in terms of basic features but i'm afraid that the more complex features in future will be pain in the ass to make. I'm constantly questioning myself "Why are you doing this, and why are you wasting your time?". The game is old as hell, i didn't have a chance to create my own gamemode and host it and enjoy seeing players playing on it while it still had alot of players. I want to hear it from you, is it worth my or anyones time to put effort in a 13 year old multiplayer modification?
Edit: Considering that kalcor left himself.

You need patience. If you don't have it, don't even start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Symon
View Post
You need patience. If you don't have it, don't even start.
Patient is not everything he need, if you create a server and wait patiently to hit player slots then it's just worthless and waste of time.

Instead be active and focus on the audience, what they like, and keep working accordingly.

I made a similar post a while back:
https://sampforum.blast.hk/showthread.php?tid=666497

You might be interested in the responses people gave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxus
View Post
I made a similar post a while back:
https://sampforum.blast.hk/showthread.php?tid=666497

You might be interested in the responses people gave.
Thanks for the information, did you decide to continue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike861
View Post
Thanks for the information, did you decide to continue?
I'm still working on my server, yeah.

If your afraid of taking on complicated challenges on your own it might be a good idea to team up with another scripter so you can both work together on the complicated projects, you dont have to do everything yourself,
gather up a team and assign duties that need to be fullfilled.

You could also just start enjoying what you do more...

I dont know what kind of gamemode you want to make,
but gamemodes dont necessarily need a lot of players to be enjoyable,
1 you can make a racing server,
2 an arena dm server,
3 a minigame server,
4 a server with challenging npcs
5 a server where the focus is on creating an enjoyable experiance even if your alone.

If your not very confident that your gamemode could succed
you could also join another server with a similiar gamemode to yours and offer to work for them.

The possibilities are all there, focus on controlling what you can do instead of what you cant do
and things will get a lot easier.

Kalcor left?? what am i doing here then

Yeah, I'm done. I haven't officially called it because there's always a chance of a security update or something.

Nobody who has been around as long as me still plays this game. If they're here at all, it's only to chat with people they met years ago.

You're wasting your time writing a SA-MP script from scratch, unless it's something that interests you. There are already loads of scripts out there.

You wouldn't start a SA-MP server in 2019. If you want to make something involving SA-MP, build a gaming community with a forum etc and run multiple games.

I've been planning to move to linux desktop for a long time. There's a shift in that direction among computing professionals and scientists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcor
View Post
Yeah, I'm done. I haven't officially called it because there's always a chance of a security update or something.
I like the idea of sticking with security updates. But what about finally making DL the main version? Why keep two different versions? The only reason DL is not popular is its not the main version offered. And as for people saying the don't want the dl features...then don't use them!!!

yes, that would perhaps be an approach to make the DL version finally the main version but think he hardly does that dan would have to turn again in the client again the Internet tab page so you have to pay as much as 0.3.7 too much money for the but a start would be real times to change the DL version as the main version and finally make the intetnet tab list at 0.3.7 as they did then wat namely for free

I was also thinking about teaming up with someone who has a better idea, just so i can get to work on something related to SA-MP, but i literally have no more friends on SA-MP, and none of them i had play it anymore. I always admired to get to know the big guys (oldest members) and perhaps participate together with them in a community, but that's not possible anymore.

Quote:
View Post

Nobody who has been around as long as me still plays this game. If they're here at all, it's only to chat with people they met years ago.

You're wasting your time writing a SA-MP script from scratch, unless it's something that interests you. There are already loads of scripts out there.

You wouldn't start a SA-MP server in 2019. If you want to make something involving SA-MP, build a gaming community with a forum etc and run multiple games.

I've been planning to move to linux desktop for a long time. There's a shift in that direction among computing professionals and scientists.
Will things like the master list, the forums, main website (with the SA:MP downloads) and any other service that SA:MP offers still be available for a while, or can we expect that to end in the near future as well?

Kalcor, don't leave the SAMP. We love this game and are waiting for more customer updates. Make your multiplayer even better! It's never too late to redeem yourself

WOW. WTF!?

It's time to transfer the development to Ó_Låss or someone else talented.

Quote:
View Post
There are several servers that could need a new SA-MP update to fix some flaws and issues. Are you implying that you will shut down SA-MP once you are officially done with it?

Quote:
View Post

I somewhat agree with that statement. Most players stick to the current servers, especially RP ones. It's pretty pointless to make new servers when the current servers already provide features which you are making for your new server.

However, don't forget that you still haven't made 0.3.7DL as MAIN version when it should. Currently, the playerbase is split to 75-25.

75% players seem to be stick to 0.3.7 while the other 25% they stick to 0.3.7DL.

Making a new server on DL version is out of question for the reason above. 0.3.7? Maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekillergreece
View Post
There are several servers that could need a new SA-MP update to fix some flaws and issues. Are you implying that you will shut down SA-MP once you are officially done with it?
The only flaw with .DL is the class selection system. Other than that, 0.3.DL does as advertised with a few problems affecting windows servers.

And I don't think Kalcor has implied that he'll shut SAMP down. Kalcor shutting SA-MP down will have no affect on the community who will have their servers to play on. In the past, we've seen people come up with solutions to bring the SACNR server lists to the SAMP client.

Quote:
View Post
I somewhat agree with that statement. Most players stick to the current servers, especially RP ones. It's pretty pointless to make new servers when the current servers already provide features which you are making for your new server.
Another pretty pointless statement. Each server can implement their gamemodes differently providing the same features but offering different levels of interaction with their systems. There are also significant differences in how owners run their communities too. I know that the owner of one of the largest English roleplay servers is a racist individual who dismisses claims of staff DDOSing players.

Quote:
View Post
However, don't forget that you still haven't made 0.3.7DL as MAIN version when it should. Currently, the playerbase is split to 75-25.

75% players seem to be stick to 0.3.7 while the other 25% they stick to 0.3.7DL.

Making a new server on DL version is out of question for the reason above. 0.3.7? Maybe.
Can you provide statistics to justify your statement? Anybody can pull 'facts' out of their ass just like myself. One of the comments I made about a server owner was in fact false as I do not have much evidence to prove otherwise.

It would be nice if custom animations, etc were implemented in a consolidatory update. I doubt that would happen as it means more things can go wrong.

If Kalcor intends to keep the master list up, could it be a good idea to open game-mp listings?

Quote:
View Post

Time for open-source maybe? Or perhaps handing the development over to people who still have passion?

Unfortunately not.

Open source samp so someone can keep it alive?