Is it still worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcor
View Post
I tend to think it would help for a while. It would get the mod through the holiday period, at least.
You're a smart guy, come up with something, do away with these hackers once and for all. We believe in you!

I can only do a basic update. I'm too detached from the project to ever work on it properly again.

The conclusion to the open source question is: yeah, maybe, if people stopped cheating and attacking servers. That could still be a few years away.

Quote:
View Post
I tend to think it would help for a while. It would get the mod through the holiday period, at least.
Yes, it would help for a while. But it would probably take more time for all the players to update their clients to 0.3.9, than for the hack developers to update their hacks. Currently, there are two groups of hack devs who keep releasing new cheats specially crafted for my servers and to challenge my anticheat, everytime I patch the anticheat, they release new cheats in matter of few weeks.

I mean, changing addresses is certainly useful thing, but in my opinion it should be a secondary effect of an update. If 0.3.7 is rebranded as 0.3.9, there will be no direct benefits or updates for players, thus they might be disappointed. But if 0.3.DL is released as 0.3.9, perhaps with few quick fixes (for example, objects destroyed by players don't disappear, you mentioned this bug in some thread), then players will get a lot of new updates from SA-MP and servers, and servers will benefit for a moment from obsolete hacks. In fact, releasing 0.3.DL as 0.3.9 might bring a lot of people back to SA-MP, I remember how positive effect announcing 0.3.8 had on SA-MP playerbase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllidanS4
View Post
I 100 % agree. Maybe the "No Downloads" option in the client should be provided to the server without hiding the server in the listing, because as I said, I can accept players who don't want custom models, and I would be worried that if I used custom models, players could filter out my server, even if custom models aren't actually required to play on it.
I don't think most players would use to filter it though, however it would be fair to give them ability to find servers without the downloadable content.

Quote:
View Post
I can only do a basic update. I'm too detached from the project to ever work on it properly again.

The conclusion to the open source question is: yeah, maybe, if people stopped cheating and attacking servers. That could still be a few years away.
I personally do not agree with open-sourcing SA-MP, but that's entirely up to you.

Regarding the basic update, I believe if you did few fixes to 0.3.DL, perhaps some minor updates, it wouldn't take much time, but releasing it as official 0.3.9 could really help SA-MP and a lot of servers to hook the players.

Quote:
View Post
95 % of cheats detected and prevented server-side is a very nice amount in my opinion. While this kind of a security update will indeed help for a while, dealing with the problem permanently is a better option in my opinion. If the server can accurately detect what other players perceive as cheating (and the server sees everything other players see), there is nothing that needs to be done.

Perhaps updating the client only would be a viable option. Developers of YSF, SKY etc. wouldn't have to find the new memory addresses, while server owners could restrict the players to a newer version. Even some new updated could be included this way, like the radar rescaling of new sounds (some radio stations are still inaccessible by the way).

Of course, the merge of 0.3.7 and 0.3.DL is what literally everybody wants, even if it would be without custom vehicles and weapons (which were promised).

Quote:
View Post
While it is unfortunate, it is also understandable. But there are people who are willing to help, who know something about programming, servers, networking and GTA modding. I hope I have the right to consider myself one of those. I am in to help since I started creating my includes and plugins.

Quote:
View Post

In no case! The source code must be closed and located only with you.
Make a basic update 0.3.7. It will not be superfluous to add new skins and TextDraws.

Quote:
View Post
Why don't you want to do this now? It would be very cool if you merge version 0.3DL and 0.3.7 into one, fix some bugs and release all this under the wrapper 0.3.9.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllidanS4
View Post
95 % of cheats detected and prevented server-side is a very nice amount in my opinion.
lol. My 0.3.7 test server had no anti-cheat and every player was a hacker.

Plugin devs are pretty good at updating the server without source. There was a question of whether to open source the SA-MP server and leave the client closed source, but having the server source is almost pointless without the client.

Quote:
View Post

Perhaps if you could resume 0.3.7DL development that would be great. You managed to create a new feature: Custom skins. Why stop now? Try create a feature that would allow server owners create custom weapons and custom vehicles. That would unlock endless possibilities, really.

Can I chat with you via ICQ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekillergreece
View Post
Perhaps if you could resume 0.3.7DL development that would be great. You managed to create a new feature: Custom skins. Why stop now? Try create a feature that would allow server owners create custom weapons and custom vehicles. That would unlock endless possibilities, really.
I wouldn't even go that far to ask for a whole new feature, just to make the DL version as an official release under 0.3.9 with the memory addresses reset and then every server has the option whether to use the new DL features or not. The community won't be split up between two versions and a lot of servers will be using the DL features as they won't fear a collapse in playerbase.

Quote:
View Post

Plugin devs are pretty good at updating the server without source. There was a question of whether to open source the SA-MP server and leave the client closed source, but having the server source is almost pointless without the client.
Is logical

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocMax
View Post
I wouldn't even go that far to ask for a whole new feature, just to make the DL version as an official release under 0.3.9 with the memory addresses reset and then every server has the option whether to use the new DL features or not. The community won't be split up between two versions and a lot of servers will be using the DL features as they won't fear a collapse in playerbase.
They are unable to merge the versions because, I think, the downloader is unreliable for some players.

Quote:
View Post

I was referring to what niCe said. Custom server-side anticheat can be used to block at least 95 % of all cheats.

Yeah, but you need to have some sympathy for servers that don't have anti-cheat. They'd benefit for a few months after a 0.3.9 switch.

And what is the problem of opening the source code? Even if there are vulnerabilities, then people will be able to send Pull Request.

Quote:
View Post
All of the source leaks were designed to hurt this mod.
I disagree coz leaked code helped me to figure out some client-side performance issues and fix some bugs but the problem is you don't listen to community so people have no chance to improve samp but hurt it. I've tried to report you issues I found (some of them improve client performance dramatically without huge changes in codebase) but no feedback from you. It's not only about me, I know few people with the same intention and they didn't succeed too.

When will 0.3.9 come out?

Quote:
View Post
Yeah, but you need to have some sympathy for servers that don't have anti-cheat. They'd benefit for a few months after a 0.3.9 switch.
Alright. But when you want to do this, why not doing the 0.3.9 from 0.3.DL? There would be more benefits in that, both for players and servers, in my opinion.

Pros:
- 0.3.7 and 0.3.DL communities would merge (resulting in larger playerbase)
- Changed memory addresses would make some hacks obsolete
- By adding the filter "No Downloads" in client, players could search for prefered servers (and everyone would get what they want)

Cons:
- Players would have to update the clients, this would take some time (but in long-run, it never used to be a huge issue)

Quote:
View Post
SA-MP 0.3.9 wow It's true?

Quote:
Originally Posted by D1eSeL
View Post
SA-MP 0.3.9 wow It's true?
Yes.