Is it still worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcor
View Post
Because they were more professional, more tactful. Instead of spamming me with the same message over and over in this thread, they got together as a group and provided me a recommendation.

And they erred on the side of caution, taking my position.
Are you referring to this? https://i.imgur.com/O0omg4t.png

They also state that they want DL but are only tolerating your decision. They are not taking your position. They are tolerating it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodMaster
View Post
Are you referring to this? https://i.imgur.com/O0omg4t.png

They also state that they want DL but are only tolerating your decision. They are not taking your position. They are tolerating it.
Where has it?

Quote:
View Post
Because they were more professional, more tactful. Instead of spamming me with the same message over and over in this thread, they got together as a group and provided me a recommendation.

And they erred on the side of caution, taking my position.
Respectfully I doubt you heard all of them, and if there was a balance to list the ones you heard and the ones you didn't, I bet that the ones you didn't would mostly suggest you to merge 0.3.DL and they are the biggest part.

In the first round of discussions, they were saying they preferred DL. Then I gave them an up or down choice, without considering my position, and like I said, they erred on the side of caution.

> don't leak our internal docs (well, their internal docs)
> don't use this forum to promote GTAV emulators

Quote:
View Post
Then I gave them an up or down choice
Could you clarify what you mean here? I do not understand.

Kalcor, will have updates of security in DL version?

Quote:
View Post
There's not really a single sa-mp community, it's a collection of servers with their own communities.

the ls-rp people showed up after this thread was linked from their main website. I doubt many of the ls-rp trolls actually read the entire thread.
Unlike their decision to make the place a public attack on you, I relayed our decision to my community and told them not to attack it, as it would be hypocritical of me to want a group to disorganize to criticize your decision. Just as I don't like this kind of attitude in my community, I don't want it for others.

English version:
"Unlike other servers I will not encourage you to "seek justice" for such a decision, I am totally against it and I hope you to. The LS:RP has announced to its community the SA-MP's Team decision not to continue the 0.3.DL and is encouraging their community to go there to push for a change of decision. I am opposed to doing this because when I make decisions here I do not expect and dislike that the players get together in a disorganized manner with their group to try to changes out my opinion. If I supported that kind of attitude then I would be a hypocrite."

I have one of the largest brazilian and portuguese roleplay communities and I am not trying to troll and spam this topic, all my posts were in my opinion relevant to the proposed subject, with suggestions for 0.3.9 or about the remotion of the download feature.

I also suggested that the download feature be optional that would make everyone satisfied.

willttoonn good guy
Kalcor greater good guy when?

Happy ending for everyone for the final version

Removing DL is a win-win for everyone! Kalcor can move on with his life and SAMP players can move on to GTA5.

sa-mp is a strange mod. although most players are not native english speakers, there actually hasn't been a huge demand for translated versions of the software.

what does that tell you? well, players don't mind the software being half-english, and they're probably trying to learn a small amount of english by playing.

I don't have high confidence that simply putting "downloads = yes" in the browser is going to be understood by players.

I actually think adding downloads will end up with most servers having downloads without the player having any say.

Quote:
View Post
sa-mp is a strange mod. although most players are not native english speakers, there actually hasn't been a huge demand for translated versions of the software.

what does that tell you? well, players don't mind the software being half-english, and they're probably trying to learn a small amount of english by playing.

I don't have high confidence that simply putting "downloads = yes" in the browser is going to be understood by players.

I actually think adding downloads will end up with most servers having downloads without the player having any say.
Wasn't there why no one encouraged it?

I'm sure if you step forward, we would change a lot.

Let's translate to other languages ​​so if that's the problem.

I am also sure that everyone would understand: "downloads = yes"

The word 'download' is more than likely universally recognized by players of online video games. Even if they can't speak a word of English. Regardless, that's a very poor point to make on your behalf. For example, 'announce' means nothing to a non English speaker, yet it's been in the config for ages. Do non-English server owners set announce to 1? Yes, they do. Why? Because over time everyone figures out what these things mean regardless of what language they speak. It really seems like you're grasping at straws at this point.

Quote:
View Post

Different from other games much of what is presented to the player is developed in a language that the player knows. Let's say 90% of what the player will see in the game is from the server they play on and that is presented in the server language, be it in English, Portuguese, Spanish, Russian or Polish. The other 10% are the messages in native English from SA-MP, such as connection message, client sa-mp, ban message or crash.

I wouldn't rule out translating these types of messages into the player's native language, but that's no problem for the community today. English is the almost universal language nowadays everyone knows a little bit either by music or by using the internet.

I have the same your opinion about the voting presented, he is not the best option but because of the lack of community resources in presenting you with a solution it was a good option. Could we create a topic in the area, put a poll and specify each option and see what happens?

Quote:
View Post

Well, why not show a dialog window the first time the server sends custom models to the player? If the player clicks No, the server would be notified, so that it could work around the player not having custom models.

Imagine a server with only custom skins. You don't need to download them if you don't want to, as you will still see the fallback skins. No problem.

Imagine a racing server where there are races that uses custom models and races that do not. The fact that players do not want to download models doesn't have to prevent them from joining the server.

Right now there are two versions that are cumbersome to switch between and that have differing features. With a simple confirmation dialog, players could choose per-server whether they think that the specific server has features that are worth downloading, and the server can choose what to do with the player if they do not wish to use downloading. Win-win.

You may have concerns about servers that abuse downloading to add weird objects and locations to the game, but then players don't have the patience to download GBs of models if they don't think it is worth it, so server owners will stay reasonable, like the examples here have shown. Please, show trust in the people that request these features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willttoonn
View Post
Different from other games much of what is presented to the player is developed in a language that the player knows. Let's say 90% of what the player will see in the game is from the server they play on and that is presented in the server language, be it in English, Portuguese, Spanish, Russian or Polish. The other 10% are the messages in native English from SA-MP, such as connection message, client sa-mp, ban message or crash.

I wouldn't rule out translating these types of messages into the player's native language, but that's no problem for the community today. English is the almost universal language nowadays everyone knows a little bit either by music or by using the internet.

I have the same your opinion about the voting presented, he is not the best option but because of the lack of community resources in presenting you with a solution it was a good option. Could we create a topic in the area, put a poll and specify each option and see what happens?
That sounds good, it's something to think about, Kalcor.

Quote:
View Post
Perhaps this is true, but wouldn't that be an administrative issue for the given community or communities? Those communities who elect to put custom content in against the wishes of the overall playerbase will suffer and fade into non-existence, and other communities who do listen to their playerbase continue to thrive. At least you'll have given people that option.

Kalcor, see the community voting:

https://www.strawpoll.me/18904051/r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chavan
View Post
Kalcor, see the community voting:

https://www.strawpoll.me/18904051/r
While I am in favour of DL, I would still give that poll a few days to actually populate properly.

This is strange. When I analyze Kalcor's opinion in details, he is right. You guys should position yourself in his view, his years spent here and how is he experiencing this mod. SA:MP should be set in 1992 as the original game is. Main idea is the gangs, crack cocaine epidemic, hood etc. Why import iPhone in SA:MP? Why make Medieval, or Wild West in SA:MP? My friend Saddin97 once said, "you can't make pie of shit". I'm not saying Medieval or Wild West are bad ideas or boring (hell no), just it doesn't fit in the game set up in 1992. You have different animations, lack of design and smoothness.

But, I'm not saying that good ideas should be thrown away! There are not-so-clever guys here who import so much non-fitting things in SA:MP, but also there are guys with style who understand the GTA San Andreas ambient and are working so hard to get the best results possible to fit-in with GTA:SA style.

Other thing is, Kalcor you should have considered more your idea to develop DL version at all if you were not planning to release it as the official one. About saying "find a team of developers to continue your work", imagine you are working on a mod for 14 years, 14 years! (your life creation, because it is) and some guys come and now they are in charge, "legends, etc." and everyone forgot about you. How would you feel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr0heart
View Post
This is strange. When I analyze Kalcor's opinion in details, he is right. You guys should position yourself in his view, his years spent here and how is he experiencing this mod. SA:MP should be set in 1992 as the original game is. Main idea is the gangs, crack cocaine epidemic, hood etc. Why import iPhone in SA:MP? Why make Medieval, or Wild West in SA:MP? My friend Saddin97 once said, "you can't make pie of shit". I'm not saying Medieval or Wild West are bad ideas or boring (hell no), just it doesn't fit in the game set up in 1992. You have different animations, lack of design and smoothness.

But, I'm not saying that good ideas should be thrown away! There are not-so-clever guys here who import so much non-fitting things in SA:MP, but also there are guys with style who understand the GTA San Andreas ambient and are working so hard to get the best results possible to fit-in with GTA:SA style.

Other thing is, Kalcor you should have considered more your idea to develop DL version at all if you were not planning to release it as the official one. About saying "find a team of developers to continue your work", imagine you are working on a mod for 14 years, 14 years! (your life creation, because it is) and some guys come and now they are in charge, "legends, etc." and everyone forgot about you. How would you feel?
It was never about the 90s vanilla game theme, it mostly started as freeroam servers where people would litterally just mess around doing shit. It evolved into roleplay and other kinds of servers as years went past and new functions were introduced and people got more and more skilled into developing complex systems and gamemodes.

But let's say we stick to the 90s. Many current bigger roleplay servers introduce huge varieties of skins and objects that completely blend into the vanilla atmosphere. Like ls-rp, in example, added over a 100 custom-made low-poly skins that you couldn't tell from the R* made skins. Same goes to objects and even custom buildings. It offers server developers to expand what was really limited by R* - skins, objects and so on. It removed many limitations for the players. In example - before sheriffs and cops could only be caucasian males, now many of the roleplay servers added cop skins with different etnicities and different genders. I could go on and on with examples, as there are so many.