A desperate plea, from a passionate server developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by niCe
View Post
The 0.3.DL client download link is already present there.
This is either newly added or basically hidden because it's at the bottom. Should be at the top or at least above Windows and Linux server downloads.

Also it says "Steam version can not be downgraded" which is retarded as that's the pretty much only way to buy the game now. And it can definitely be downgraded.

The DVD version of San Andreas has a license that allows for mods. The steam version doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3shys
View Post
which is retarded as that's the pretty much only way to buy the game now.
SA-MP players peaked in 2013. 0.3x was the last version released where the total player count went up. You're starting to understand some of the reasons why. But I've already known this for years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcor
View Post
The DVD version of San Andreas has a license that allows for mods. The steam version doesn't.

SA-MP players peaked in 2013. 0.3x was the last version released where the total player count went up. You're starting to understand some of the reasons why. But I've already known this for years.
Just launch a 0.4DL, where you can add new Cars and Weapons.
And see if it will not attract more servers to DL, and will not bring players here.

The possibility of having different weapons and vehicles, opens a giant box of imagination to all servers.

Having the possibility of:
New objects, new vehicles and new weapons, the possibilities are endless.

Another feature that would be very good, is to be able to add pages in HTML and javascript, to create interfaces, much more beautiful and efficient than textdraws.

Do not let SA: MP die, we still have many members in the community, and I see lots of new players coming. (In Brazil at least)

Quote:
View Post

Yeah Kalc thats cuz youre samp's papa

Srsly, we use current sa-mp DL functional on maximum..
What do we have in the end? Servers with great online are sitting at 0.3.7 and keeping the players there, and we at 0.3.DL with really cool functionality have online close to zero.
A separate branch is a mistake, maybe it's worth fixing it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eakwarp
View Post
Srsly, we use current sa-mp DL functional on maximum..
What do we have in the end? Servers with great online are sitting at 0.3.7 and keeping the players there, and we at 0.3.DL with really cool functionality have online close to zero.
A separate branch is a mistake, maybe it's worth fixing it?
One great reason.

I develop a sandbox server that has been running for almost 10 years by now, and I've as well reached the limits of SA-MP many times. The server can do only so much in regards to modifying the game behaviour, and without client-side plugins/mods, many possibilities are still inaccessible.

Because of the nature of my server, I don't have such a big need of DL, but there are many other features that, albeit small, would bring lots of new possibilities. I have suggested some of these things many times, but I'll repeat myself hoping it will be noticed.
  • SyncRotation parameter for AttachObjectToVehicle. Using an empty object to get around this makes it lag when the vehicle is moving. This option would make adding lights easier (to get around the invisibility caused by rotation).
  • AttachVehicleToVehicle. The game does support it. Would be cool for trains carrying cars, bikes etc.
  • Optional UTF-8 support or at least GetPlayerCodePage to know which ANSI charset a player uses (plugins can be used to adapt the messages for other players with different codepages). This would make truly international servers possible.
  • Functions to toggle the sun, heat effects, speed effects, and grass (individually). Come on, many players have better machines than 10 years ago; no need to enforce optimizations that impair visual quality.
  • Set the color of the sun and the sky, the speed of wind and other properties of the environment. There are two weathers in the game used for changing their color already.
  • Create in-game actors/peds with AI (basically toggle the AI for an actor). Would cause frequent desync but would be awesome for cutscenes without affecting the performance of the server.
  • A function to derail trains.
  • Toggle the collision between two entities (objects, vehicles, players). Would make in-game vehicle editing more usable.
  • Split ManualVehicleEngineAndLights into two functions (I hope the game supports that). Also SetVehicleParamsEx cannot turn on the lights at daylight when manual lights aren't enabled, but the engine can be controlled without the function perfectly.
  • Callbacks to detect when a player has toggled the chat textbox. Would also lead to better spam protection.
  • Turn on synchronisation of an object (like for unoccupied vehicles). If a player moves a barrel with physics, all players would see the same position and rotation, and the server would have access to these values.
Last but not least, don't care that much about adding functions that could cause desync issues between players. I reckon that is the reason SetPlayerGravity hasn't been added yet, but honestly, it is the responsibility of the server developers to make a consistent experience for the players, not yours. Don't limit what can be done.

We believe in you, Kalcor.

What about increasing a vehicle limit from 2000 to 5000 or I'm missing something ?

Quote:
View Post

0.3x was the version where SA:MP servers were filled with bots. There are many servers (at least in Romania) which kickstarted by faking their playerbase by filling half of their slots with bots, and then removing them one by one as the server was rising. And the idea was "stolen" from the russian servers, which occupied an extremely large percentage of the SA:MP playerbase. This method then slowly dissappeared as players found out what was happening.

I'm sorry to say this, but it's a pity to see that the other mp modification of GTA:SA is in a continuous growth while SA:MP has such an obviously bigger potential. We, the Romanian server owners, struggle bringing back players to the game because their answer is always "everything is the same, nothing unique anymore", even though we made use of every little thing we gained from SA:MP server updates.

Adding a function to remove vehicles from the minimap would already be a giant step ...
Helping many servers, and it does not seem to be so hard to do, given that only in the samp they appear on the map.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazon
View Post
What about increasing a vehicle limit from 2000 to 5000 or I'm missing something ?
with 3000 I'm very satisfied.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllidanS4
View Post
I develop a sandbox server that has been running for almost 10 years by now, and I've as well reached the limits of SA-MP many times. The server can do only so much in regards to modifying the game behaviour, and without client-side plugins/mods, many possibilities are still inaccessible.

Because of the nature of my server, I don't have such a big need of DL, but there are many other features that, albeit small, would bring lots of new possibilities. I have suggested some of these things many times, but I'll repeat myself hoping it will be noticed.
  • SyncRotation parameter for AttachObjectToVehicle. Using an empty object to get around this makes it lag when the vehicle is moving. This option would make adding lights easier (to get around the invisibility caused by rotation).
  • AttachVehicleToVehicle. The game does support it. Would be cool for trains carrying cars, bikes etc.
  • Optional UTF-8 support or at least GetPlayerCodePage to know which ANSI charset a player uses (plugins can be used to adapt the messages for other players with different codepages). This would make truly international servers possible.
  • Functions to toggle the sun, heat effects, speed effects, and grass (individually). Come on, many players have better machines than 10 years ago; no need to enforce optimizations that impair visual quality.
  • Set the color of the sun and the sky, the speed of wind and other properties of the environment. There are two weathers in the game used for changing their color already.
  • Create in-game actors/peds with AI (basically toggle the AI for an actor). Would cause frequent desync but would be awesome for cutscenes without affecting the performance of the server.
  • A function to derail trains.
  • Toggle the collision between two entities (objects, vehicles, players). Would make in-game vehicle editing more usable.
  • Split ManualVehicleEngineAndLights into two functions (I hope the game supports that). Also SetVehicleParamsEx cannot turn on the lights at daylight when manual lights aren't enabled, but the engine can be controlled without the function perfectly.
  • Callbacks to detect when a player has toggled the chat textbox. Would also lead to better spam protection.
  • Turn on synchronisation of an object (like for unoccupied vehicles). If a player moves a barrel with physics, all players would see the same position and rotation, and the server would have access to these values.
Last but not least, don't care that much about adding functions that could cause desync issues between players. I reckon that is the reason SetPlayerGravity hasn't been added yet, but honestly, it is the responsibility of the server developers to make a consistent experience for the players, not yours. Don't limit what can be done.

We believe in you, Kalcor.
A few sensible suggestions at last. I think the reason procedural foliage was removed was cause they weren't synced (and couldn't be back then, not sure).

It is optimistic to see a thread where people still support this great story. I hope this mod and whole community will continue to develop and grow. There is so much opportunities for improvements that will bring a lot of great ideas and concepts for gta game.

For suggestions, we already have great lists on this forum. If you forgot:

https://sampforum.blast.hk/showthread.php?tid=302201 - Suggestions for future updates
https://sampforum.blast.hk/showthread.php?tid=644127 - Suggestions for 0.3.8

And so many more that this community would support. Servers are alive, players still play even though mod is not developing with desired speed but we are all still here.

We waited so long for some news on mod and finally when 0.3.8 came people loved it! Many people created dope scripts, models, concepts. This change (with custom objects) was really great push for many passionate scripters. And I can't imagine how much those people would appreciate and love new custom stuff (vehicles, animations, weapons, map icons, 3d space icons, ...).

I've actually been around so long I witnessed the rise and death of MTA:VC.

Towards the end, people were trying to make total conversions as they grew bored with the original game.

It's not a good sign. I've tried to resist it.

The main reason I added model downloading to SA-MP is so servers like ls-rp could have more skin variations.

Quote:

The main reason I added model downloading to SA-MP is so servers like ls-rp

There are more servers than LS-RP. Servers where many players play. Why don't you care about the other servers and wishes of their owners?

Quote:
View Post
The main reason I added model downloading to SA-MP is so servers like ls-rp could have more skin variations.
sad.. when one server is more than others..

Quote:
View Post
I've actually been around so long I witnessed the rise and death of MTA:VC.

Towards the end, people were trying to make total conversions as they grew bored with the original game.

It's not a good sign. I've tried to resist it.

Is you ever going to do something by your own? Don't you have any cool idea you'd like to add? Why always waiting for suggestions and what server owners ask you to do? Just make what's right for this mod and it's community, not what's right for the server owners.
I understand LS-RP is one of the biggest English resisting server, but still LSRP isn't SAMP.

People don't want to be LSRP, you do updates for lsrp you force other server owners/developers to do the same updates, so yea do something new, something LSRP or any other server owner didn't asked you to do.
Most of the developers left just because there's not too much things done asked by them. You still in time to do what's right, merging two versions (0.3.DL in 0.3.7) would be a good start to make samp great again!

You guys don't know the history of this mod.

I didn't wake up one day and know all the scripting features to add. I had to work with individual servers for years.

The reason I had to work with ls-rp was because The Godfather, the first GTA roleplay server, was shut down by the owner.

When I say like ls-rp, I mean all servers that derive from The Godfather, which is every roleplay server.

Kalkor, why did you show us the Vice City map on the 03DL client when you have to make crutches with simulated pickups and near-range damage to be able to play normally outside of the SA map?

The reason I imported vc2sa and lc2sa was to show that the new system could handle a large number of downloaded models.

The problem with the damage and the pickups wasn't reported to me during the 0.3.8 RC.

I even say in the thread that you probably wouldn't want to make a server based on these maps because there were many problems that couldn't be fixed.

You could, in theory, use RemoveBuilding with -1 model id to remove parts of San Andreas and locate Vice City there.