SA-MP 0.3.8 version cancelled

We had huge plans for 0.3.8, and now, the months of work are empty, the dead-end branch of development will have to be abandoned in the future..

Is this such a joke?

If you will update 0.3.7 branch, PLEASE, do not add restriction to frame name size, because this restriction makes HD mods useless

oh great atleast give us a valid reason why did you cancelled it? i mean come on man it's not lack of interest in downloading feature. to be honest you shouldn't even bother to release 0.3.7-DL unless you want to update it regularly which i highly doubt it you will. You should know that there will be major decrease in English Community.

I don’t know what to said about this decision but I hope you make some chose for help the members are creating servers using this functions new

@Kalcor I still think the PM I sent you is viable.

There is no better motivation than that!!!

Don't persuade yourself that you wasted your time!!

The main issue I'm worried about here is community fragmentation.
Will a 0.3.7-DL user be able to log on a 0.3.7 server? A 0.3.7-DL server will accept users from 0.3.7 and play just fine, but with "?" instead of custom models?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonItaly
Посмотреть сообщение
A 0.3.7-DL server will accept users from 0.3.7 and play just fine, but with "?" instead of custom models?
Highly unlikely. The reverse is likely, but the non-DL client on a DL server, won't be possible.

If they load up a floor/wall/ceiling object and the other client logs in, it won't see it. It'll look like they're airbraking, and it'll make issues in that sense.

Guys stop being selfish, Doing this isnt easy.

Kalcor (and anyone who's working with him for 0.3.8 -if any-) has a live and some IRL things to take care of (and no, i dont mean that he got problems IRL).

And if you think that working on sa-mp is easy, i would like to tell you that IT'S TOTALLY NOT.
Making a 1 million lines script is really really easier than working on sa-mp.

Just like the difference between this :
Код:
Public OnPlayerConnect(playerid)
{
          Ban(playerid)
          return 1;
}
compared to LS-RP script

So, We can't do anything about it.
It's his own life.

If you were kalcor, Would you "trash" your friends, family, lovers, etc... only to develop a game for ppl that are going to start servers with NGG script and [REFUNDING\HIRING] [UNIQUE] ?
(The majority of the community is just like this, The others aren't. but if you're offended because of this ^^^ then you must be one of them)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wispo
Посмотреть сообщение
If you cant develop further drop source code and make samp go its way.
No, Making it open source will split the community even more.

That's my opinion, And i am not forcing anyone to believe it.
Also, i respect the other opinions too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4nd4ll
Посмотреть сообщение
Guys stop being retarded, Doing this isnt easy.

Kalcor (and anyone who's working with him for 0.3.8 -if any-) has a live and some IRL things to take care of (and no, i dont mean that he got problems IRL).

And if you think that working on sa-mp is easy, i would like to tell you that IT'S TOTALLY NOT.
Making a 1 million lines script is really really easier than working on sa-mp.

Just like the difference between this :
Код:
Public OnPlayerConnect(playerid)
{
          Ban(playerid)
          return 1;
}
compared to LS-RP script

So, We can't do anything about it.
It's his own life.

If you were kalcor, Would you "trash" your friends, family, lovers, etc... only to develop a game for ppl that are going to start servers with NGG script and [REFUNDING\HIRING] [UNIQUE] ?
(The majority of the community is just like this, The others aren't. but if you're offended because of this ^^^ then you must be one of them)

That's my opinion, And i am not forcing anyone to believe it.
Also, respected the other opinions too.
I'm sorry, what? If your problem is people creating NGG edits with ''refunding/hiring'', then how exactly does that correlate to the removal of downloadable content? If anything, the downloadable content promotes creation of unique content, which would reduce the "ngg edits" that you're so salty about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Twixx]
Посмотреть сообщение
I'm sorry, what? If your problem is people creating NGG edits with ''refunding/hiring'', then how exactly does that correlate to the removal of downloadable content? If anything, the downloadable content promotes creation of unique content, which would reduce the "ngg edits" that you're so salty about.
My problem isn't with people using NGG script. My problem is with the retards who start servers without a developer, web developer, A management team who know what are they doing, etc...
And they use proboards or any other free forums hosting to setup their server.

And you know who am i talking about.

Edit : I took NGG script as an example, I didnt mean it specifically.

I agree with Kalcor in this one, the downloading feature was one of the worst headline features ever. I am part of the "stay true to SA" crowd so I was NEVER a fan of having a custom mods feature.

As for lack of interest, I heavily disagree. I know, for a fact, that every server owner I know was preparing for the new release behind the scenes (including me). Not our fault 0.3.8 takes so long to release, not everyone is willing to run their server on a RC version. We always wait for the full release to push a version change update out. We have been testing the new version locally though.

Splitting the server base with an "unofficial" DL version has the be one of the worst decisions ever made in the history of SA-MP. Let's see how that one goes and which of the 2 playerbases gets abandoned now. This is that GTA United mod from half a decade ago all over again.

Are you kidding me? I decided to renew my server only for SAMP 0.3.8,made a lot of changes and then you decided to inform me that the available audience will be less... Nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R4nd4ll
Посмотреть сообщение
Well, this isn't about how difficult is to create something like SA:MP. A lot of people here have first person experience in the IT field, so we know how harsh developing something can be.
What is being discussed here is why create two separate branches of 0.3.7 after 3 months of 0.3.8 developement. A lot of people regained interest in SA:MP after the announcement, started creating unique stuff (unique models, VC/LC servers, etc), bought domains for this purpose (samp-objects.com, samp-models.net) and so on.

And now we're back to square one, or even worse.
Which version should I pick for starting a new server? We don't know.
Should I develop new models for my mode or I risk that nobody will see them because the 0.3.7-DL release will be buried somewhere on the forum and not on the front page of the site? We don't know.
Will Kalcor disappear again for weeks/months/years leaving us with no updates (again)? We don't know.

I'm not a catastrophist and I will still follow this game, because I like it too much and I've been around for like 10 years. But community fragmentation is the last thing we need.

WTF

I was just waiting for 0.3.8 R1
And now it's canceled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by THEXAS
Посмотреть сообщение
Thats good becouse kids will add in server a lot of shįt
You would have the liberty to choose not to play on such servers. However there would be still a lot of servers, that used the custom models or skins reasonably to enhance gaming experience for their players.

I am sorry but this announcement does not make any sense.

You spent much time making this happen, and now you are shutting it down because of supposed lack of interest. Especially now that this feature just requires polishing and debugging. Seems like you are hiding the true reasoning behind this decision.

As for the lack of interest, I do not believe anyone can actually buy this.

The optional SA-MP version will either split the community in half or be buried deep as the servers owners will be afraid to split the community hence their playerbase. Therefore the only viable solution was to use the function useartwork which you make for this particular situation.

I guess I'm just confused...

I think "lack of interest" is just your excuse that you are not motived to still developing sa-mp

8k views (vice city rp by one of the biggest spanish rp community):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0MVWnasqjs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapist
Посмотреть сообщение

You spent much time making this happen, and now you are shutting it down because of supposed lack of interest. Especially now that this feature just requires polishing and debugging. Seems like you are hiding the true reasoning behind this decision.

The optional SA-MP version will either split the community in half or be buried deep as the servers owners will be afraid to split the community hence their playerbase. Therefore the only viable solution was to use the function useartwork which you make for this particular situation.

Exactly my thoughts. I don't think "lack of interest" is good enough reason to cancel whole new project. Pretty much everyone had hopes up for new version. Now we all are back in old stone age again.

I'm sorry to tell this, but it's a total crap.

Just my opinion: cancelling the project was uncalled for. Should have at least tried to wrap up major stuff and finish it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escapist
Посмотреть сообщение

Did we ever see the additional security checks for the feature? All I can find in the changelog is "added basic security checks, more coming later. Caution: play on trusted servers only" or something like that. Maybe Kalcor didn't get the security checks to work properly.

Well I don't actually mind but could have been fun with custom models n stuff.