SA-MP 0.3.8 version cancelled

SA-MP 0.3.8 has been cancelled and won't be released as the main SA-MP branch. There is lack of interest in the downloading feature by most of the existing SA-MP servers.

Since some servers still want the downloading feature to be available now, 0.3.8 will be re-released as a seperate SA-MP version called 0.3.DL, which will be an optional download and have its own server lists. Parts of the existing 0.3.8 code that aren't related to model downloading will make their way in to 0.3.7 updates. Eventually the downloading feature will be part of a main SA-MP release, but the 0.3.8 version will be skipped.

Please reconsider this. 0.3.8 was getting my hopes very high. I was looking forward to the possibility of custom cars and weapons as well.

and what the hell?

many servers are under development for 0.3.8 behind the scenes. (xSF Included on this)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser98
View Post
Please reconsider this. 0.3.8 was getting my hopes very high. I was looking forward to the possibility of custom cars and weapons as well.
+1 to this and adri i thought people didn't use it yet cuz they were waiting for the actual 0.3.8 version to be released hence not many servers were on 0.3.8 rc and i actually do have a 0.3.8 latest rc server running man... this means it'll take longer to actually have the ability to download the dff and txd files through the game?? *sadface*
EDIT: it was also going to keep out so many cheaters that are still on 0.3.7 with their edits that arent updated to the latest version sigh.
EDIT2: idk why but it feels like it'll take a while to get the download feature... everyone was actually hyped for 0.3.8 and many players were interested in it i can't see the lack of interest anywhere many people were basing their gamemodes on it and making projects too.

As well? My server is offline waiting for this update, I placed all my hopes in this incredible version, which for me was a big step forward for SA-MP.

"There is lack of interest in the downloading feature by most of the existing SA-MP servers."

lol, Your currently biggest English RP community moved to 0.3.8 right away. (Yes, LS-RP). Pretty sure most of the servers were looking forward to the update. I'm not even remotely convinced that the event turned this way simply cause of lack of interest in downloading this feature by most of existing servers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcor
View Post
There is lack of interest in the downloading feature by most of the existing SA-MP servers.
In my humble opinion the "lack of interest" comes from the development team, there are tons of suggestions and old bugs which haven't been taken in consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcor
View Post
Eventually the downloading feature will be part of a main SA-MP release, but the 0.3.8 version will be skipped.
This is good to know, I hope it'll come out someday.

Man
I was really ready for my scratch rp mode...

0.3.8 was never finished to be considered as "lack of interest". The promised update on the textdraw system never made it. And there have been weeks since the last update of 0.3.8.

At least I didn't finished my gamemode yet so I'll be not affected by this.. but i'm sorry for the 0.3.8 update.

I was so happy with version 0.3.8 what a pity that it will end

Bad news!

wat?

It's a shame that this feature isn't being developed further, I personally have wanted the ability to have server-sided custom models, skins etc. for years and was extremely excited when I saw the initial post about 0.3.8.

However, I understand why the update is being *somewhat* scrapped, this feature only really benefited roleplay server and had limited features in any other form of Gamemode and obviously making the assets was considered a skill in itself.

Can't wait to see what comes next!

Great decision, to be honest ! I considered 0.3.8 to be pretty fail since the start. Such a huge new feature like model downloading would fit perfectly in a new version from a new branch, like 0.4a, not at the end of a branch ! Such a huge feature can create lots of bugs so you would have to release even further versions in the branch to fix them. Also, such a huge feature has to come with other things too: custom radar, custom sounds eventually, custom vehicles, custom weapons, custom map icons and so on. The latest 0.3 version was supposed to be 0.3x. Everything after it should have been mainly critical security patches. Another good idea would have been to make a RC5, but instead of 0.3.8 RC5 to call it 0.4a RC1 and take your time to release it.

Model downloading was pretty buggy and it created lots of edge cases: it wasn't working in request class (I know you said that it is legacy code, but that should be updated and make it to allow custom models), wasn't working as pickups and when you changed the world you couldn't put the player straight in a vehicle because the "artwork" being set to 1 made the sync of worlds a bit different. Hopefully 0.4a will have this feature a bit different. In the way you made it it would have created some problems when upgrading to the new SA-MP version. This upgrading problems and edge cases are what made me to not be interested TOO MUCH in the downloading feature. I was seriously considering to disable "artwork" on my server because of all these problems.

Hopefully it won't take another 2 years for a new version and hopefully you won't go further in the 0.3 branch. It's the time for a new branch. 0.3 is stable enough (but there are still few crashers/player buggers available that can't be fixed without plugins ! I reported them in a topic in this section, but weirdly it didn't attract your attention). Also, I think that it would be a nice idea to go with the 0.4.0 or 0.4.1 naming (can't remember exactly what the internal version was for 0.3a), not with 0.4a, as problems like in the 0.3 branch could appear in the future too and you will have to adopt again weird naming.

kek.

Anyway, this is great BIRTHDAY present.. -_-

Top meme of 2018. Thanks.

lmao

wtf...