Question for SAMP Roleplay Players

Hello,

I fell in love with SAMP some time ago and have always loved the roleplay servers. In real life my job is a software/web software developer. I have decided I want to create a roleplay server. I have been an administrator on various servers and I have even created and developed gamemodes for servers.

I am wanting some feedback from the roleplay community within SAMP, could you tell me what cool features you would like on a server? What kind of things do you believe roleplay servers are missing at the moment, or maybe what kind of things you think roleplay servers are doing right?

I will give some examples of features I will be implementing as I feel roleplay servers lack them or because I enjoy them.
  • No pay to win (I will have VIP, as this will help the server expand but not a SINGLE ITEM will give you an advantage over other players who have not paid for them. There will only be cosmetic items available or non game related items (Teamspeak/Discord channels etc).
  • Less chat, more menus (I will be adding more menus so people don't have to use as many commands. Commands will still be available but as will menus. I will give an example. I will have a command such as /interact <PLAYERID> then a menu will pop up with all the things you can do to interact (say you have rope, a tie up option will be there) as well as default stuff like give item and etc. When you select one of these items then you will have a window pop up with buttons "SUBMIT" "CANCEL" as well as an input box, this will be the action that is printed in chat (/me and /do) if you put nothing it will have a default message if you put something such as "grabs <player> and pulls their arms behind their back.." etc.)
  • One account, many characters. (This will also have further features but this small feature I loved.)
(These features are currently in beta and need some tweaking and also aren't to easy to explain)

So please comment below with your feedback so I can get a general idea of the community.

Your roleplay server won't get big because of it's features or uniqueness, roleplay is not about features at all. Roleplay is about developing your character and what you need to focus on is create the story setting for all the players who are going to roleplay in your server, you need a bright idea of the plot of the location you are basing your roleplay at and so forth, roleplay is like creating your own story with a character that has his own personality, interests, characteristics, etc...

You also need a good administration team and understand the concept behind roleplay(not saying you don't) and make sure you are unbiased and know what you are doing.

The features only allow you to express your character and nothing more, if you are going to base it of features then you might as well call it an RPG server since the development of the character depends on the script.

If you focus on the plot of the location and the background story of if you will most likely have high chances if you are patient enough to get players to play your server and enjoy their character development.

Here's a recent topic that could give you an idea on how to improve your playerbase:
https://sampforum.blast.hk/showthread.php?tid=603149

DarkLored, thank you for your feedback. I find what you have posted interesting and I can honestly agree with it, the admin side of a things is a must. I was just wondering how you would suggest going about making a roleplay server, I understand you said features aren't the things that make a roleplay server, the character development is. How would you go about doing this? What kind of things would you suggest adding? Or doing?

Thanks again for your feedback

You don't really need to add anything, just add the features that are essential to enable a player to roleplay and get money through jobs and such. Really the way you approach it with what you have stated on your thread will work as long as the player can roleplay and the system is fair. You need to decide on the location of the server, do you want to make it fictional or base it on a real life location? give a background story to the place, so the players will have a better idea on the history of the place and adjust their characters to it properly.

Since you know how to develop web software and such you should work on creating a UCP for your server rather than having them register directly, it is never safe to allow players who absolutely do not know what RP actually is, you don't really have to experience roleplay to understand it you simply need to do research about it and understand the meaning of it in games.

If you keep your server at Hardcore standards then a good amount of players will join and actually roleplay, you never want to downgrade the standard of roleplay for others as it is a mistake that will screw the playerbase over and divide it with those who RP and those who not. You should avoid giving your players second chances because of your server state, when you show weakness and that you can't handle the reality of possibly loosing a player because you appropriately punished him, they will take advantage of you.

I could go on and on about my opinion but it is all up to you to decide what's best, there's really not much to it all you need to do is invest your time to create the script, ucp, and setting of the scenario of roleplay.

Here is a really good tip on something you should do with your admins, make it a requirement for them to take a screenshot that shows proof that a player has broken a rule and require them to submit it on a section of your forums that is only view able to them. That'll ensure that they have proof to punish the player appropriately and could save you a lot of stress investigating something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLored
Посмотреть сообщение
You don't really need to add anything, just add the features that are essential to enable a player to roleplay and get money through jobs and such. Really the way you approach it with what you have stated on your thread will work as long as the player can roleplay and the system is fair. You need to decide on the location of the server, do you want to make it fictional or base it on a real life location? give a background story to the place, so the players will have a better idea on the history of the place and adjust their characters to it properly.

Since you know how to develop web software and such you should work on creating a UCP for your server rather than having them register directly, it is never safe to allow players who absolutely do not know what RP actually is, you don't really have to experience roleplay to understand it you simply need to do research about it and understand the meaning of it in games.

If you keep your server at Hardcore standards then a good amount of players will join and actually roleplay, you never want to downgrade the standard of roleplay for others as it is a mistake that will screw the playerbase over and divide it with those who RP and those who not. You should avoid giving your players second chances because of your server state, when you show weakness and that you can't handle the reality of possibly loosing a player because you appropriately punished him, they will take advantage of you.
I was going to say almost exactly the same thing in terms of going about starting a roleplay server. I'd like to add, though, land yourself a team (at least another person) to help you make the server. Servers owned, developed and ran by one guy usually never go anywhere.

If i was you, i'd check out some successfull samp servers and get idea's from there and change them up abit so they are original idea's, like jobs and so forth...I dont really know what else i can say besides checking out other successfull servers and creating your own type of jobs that do similar things needed for a samp server, with your experience im sure you could create a great server.
All the best.
Phil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Jones
Посмотреть сообщение
If i was you, i'd check out some successfull samp servers and get idea's from there and change them up abit so they are original idea's, like jobs and so forth...I dont really know what else i can say besides checking out other successfull servers and creating your own type of jobs that do similar things needed for a samp server, with your experience im sure you could create a great server.
All the best.
Phil.
*facepalm* You are literary describing a RPG server, meaning that you are saying that a successful roleplay server should depend on it's script rather than the story and concept behind it. Anyway this is an almost month old topic that the thread creator obviously got his answer already.

Since I've played a certain roleplay server my view on management on a server has totally changed.

In my opinion, the script/gamemode doesn't mean a lot. It could be a basic script as long as it had all the essentials and has room for development. What does matter, is how the community treats each other and has the attention it needs. I love being apart of a community were if you RPly kill someone they don't hold a grudge against you OOCly (though that is down to the players). What does matter to me, is that if I report another player, or if I post a refund request of some kind. That a member of staff actually handles it correctly.

If I report someone for killing me for an invalid reason, I don't want to see a response like; "Enough evidence. Will be a-jailed." - I want to see both parties having input and an actual resolution being made. "How can this be actually resolved instead of pissing off another player by a-jailing?". Get players to agree on a mutual resolution. "Look, we'll re-roleplay that once you're back online" - "Yes, I made a mistake. If the admin can refund you your stuff. My bad."

Again these views do depend on your playerbase. But a community like that I would fit into perfectly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lannister
Посмотреть сообщение
Since I've played a certain roleplay server my view on management on a server has totally changed.

In my opinion, the script/gamemode doesn't mean a lot. It could be a basic script as long as it had all the essentials and has room for development. What does matter, is how the community treats each other and has the attention it needs. I love being apart of a community were if you RPly kill someone they don't hold a grudge against you OOCly (though that is down to the players). What does matter to me, is that if I report another player, or if I post a refund request of some kind. That a member of staff actually handles it correctly.

If I report someone for killing me for an invalid reason, I don't want to see a response like; "Enough evidence. Will be a-jailed." - I want to see both parties having input and an actual resolution being made. "How can this be actually resolved instead of pissing off another player by a-jailing?". Get players to agree on a mutual resolution. "Look, we'll re-roleplay that once you're back online" - "Yes, I made a mistake. If the admin can refund you your stuff. My bad."

Again these views do depend on your playerbase. But a community like that I would fit into perfectly.
^ I agree, I would rather play in a roleplay server full of kind players(staff members included) than a unique script full of annoying, greedy players.