How to get players

How to get players

I started from absolutely nothing. These are my experiences as a server owner consistently doing well. I see too many people being mislead by people who are clueless themselves.

This thread won't make your server an overnight success but should provide you some insight. I will continue this thread if it grasps attention over the week, otherwise it will just die.

I write this post also to promote RevCTRL, a site that I work for, so that it can improve into the future. That's the catch and I hope mods allow it for the sake of this thread.

Here are some IMPORTANT quick links:

Hosted tab: http://game-mp.com
Changelog creator: https://revctrl.com

Your gamemode

Generally, work on something that's worked for someone. And then do better.

Freeroam works well, make that. Deathmatch, CNR, RP, and so on. If you make a completely different gamemode you will take a risk.

I made a Call of Duty server that was strictly mirrored CoD. To be able to hit 20 players on a Saturday night was a miracle. I'm sure you some of you can relate. It was EXTREMELY unique lol.

Should my server be unique?

It does not matter. It has to be a fun server that has certain distinguishing features to others. Some features can't be helped and just need to be the same (some examples login/admin system). It's okay.

Don't waste your time following those "your server needs to be unique" opinions.

That is how you get them to come back, to enjoy the exact moment they had previously.

Do not copy servers exactly.

If I am a player, why should I join your 0 player server if I can join the original with more than yours?

Think about it. Don't go and copy another server then expect to suddenly absorb their success. It won't happen.

If you're inspired by another server, make it alike but try make it better.

Keep it simple.

Make it easy to understand for everyone. Make your commands similar to other servers.

Example, if you have an arrest command called /arrestplayer. Most servers have /arrest therefore the player will assume the command is /arrest at first. So make it the same. (Ask for elaborating)

Release as soon as possible

I didn't have a /report command when I launched my server, had no admin system too. Used strictly RCON bans.

My focus went into developing the gamemode until players just loved it and continuously stayed.

[to be elaborated...]

My gamemode is finished, what next?

You need hosted tab.

Saying this makes me shake, because this is the reality. You need it.

Continued here!

Make an account on RevCTRL and get people to follow you.

Each time you release an update, you alert all your followers (especially through emailing) with what has changed. Quite a few SA-MP servers use it at the moment to which I applaud.

This is how you can remind players that your server exists. They might even check out your server out for the updates!

SA-MP forum won't determine your success

Controversial. The comments you get "nice server bro", "wow this looks so good" mean absolutely nothing. They're motivating, but those comments won't get you players.

What you need is comments that are constructive. E.g "your server UI looks absolute jack shit". That'll help you improve. Don't go mad or anything, just see how you can make it better.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
To be continued...
Ask me questions in the thread.

If you run a successful server, maybe share some of your advice!

If you are ignorant you will be ignored by me.

Really useful. I enjoyed reading and I hope this will make new people understand that they need to make something different rather than copying some great servers with the same features, even texts! Good job Lorenc_!

Well , Nice job.

I have one question
Can I get more players on my server if my server name is unique / nice or blabla.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroKyrr
Посмотреть сообщение
Well , Nice job.

I have one question
Can I get more players on my server if my server name is unique / nice or blabla.?
Obviously..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicroKyrr
Посмотреть сообщение
Well , Nice job.

I have one question
Your server name is very very very important. I will discuss this in detail in the future.

A stupid name is more attractive than a professional name. Make it trigger curiosity.

"Mafia City Roleplay" triggers a couple thoughts in a players head compared to "Impervious Roleplay". The second name has a weird and advanced name that isn't engaging at all.

Mafia City Roleplay makes me want to just go ingame and see if the server name really speaks for itself. Of course, these are examples and can result very differently.

A lot will agree with me here.

Distinguish from other servers, so make it unique. I'll explain why you shouldn't do the opposite soon.

Thanks for that. Will bare those tips in mind.

Nice thread, I guess this will help a lot of people.

I think you forgot (or did not get to) one important thing yet - the staff.

You will definitely need a good team to run a successful server, some people that you and your guests can trust.

I've seen several servers loosing a lot of players because of one or more really bad, childish admins. If they ban people for simply being better (or similar unreasonable things, everyone experienced that at least a few times..), those players will not be likely to come back, even when unbanned later on. It's just killing the fun.

If the admin team is friendly and most importantly fair, the players will see them as a part of the community. I think that is not only important to the players, but also to you, so you have a good time on your server yourself.

You don't want to run a server where you cannot have fun playing yourself because everyone hates you (worst case).

That's Why your Server are successful good job , +REP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaS
Посмотреть сообщение
Nice thread, I guess this will help a lot of people.

I think you forgot (or did not get to) one important thing yet - the staff.

You will definitely need a good team to run a successful server, some people that you and your guests can trust.

I've seen several servers loosing a lot of players because of one or more really bad, childish admins. If they ban people for simply being better (or similar unreasonable things, everyone experienced that at least a few times..), those players will not be likely to come back, even when unbanned later on. It's just killing the fun.

If the admin team is friendly and most importantly fair, the players will see them as a part of the community. I think that is not only important to the players, but also to you, so you have a good time on your server yourself.

You don't want to run a server where you cannot have fun playing yourself because everyone hates you (worst case).
Staff is certainly important.

Definitely is great to have staff that engage with players so that they feel friendly. If you have admins that ban hackers for even reasons such as "fuck off", "you're shit" then be concerned. They are very unhealthy admins for your community and can thus pose a risk instead.

First time I started my server and had players flocking in, I pretty much gave away admin. Had to start somewhere.

Of course, they abused like shit and used it to their advantage but yet again its normal. And yet again, it's a learning process. You get to see where things can be exploited and improve for the future.

Set out a guideline for your admins to follow.**

Don't make them make their own rules for you. This is your server, have them enforce what you believe. Otherwise, get rid of them.

Don't get too intimate/personally connected with admins.

Can be VERY risky for your server's well being. You're running a server for people, not for one person. [to be continued...]

If they are genuine admins they will play for the sake of helping people and enjoying it simultaneously. Compensate with in-game resources if you feel their efforts are outstanding.

Fill and filter.

Controversial point but it works for me since. Pack your admin team with as many as possible, then filter out the ones that are purely inadequate for the role.

This should be made sticky, It is a great topic. RevCTRL is a great website. I've started using it now

Good And Usefull Tutroial
+Rep

icant make a account

Very true thoughts. You forgot to add one thing though, make sure your server is stable and does not suffer from DDoS attacks. A server I had years ago had lost players because everyone was fed up that it kept getting taken off, not much of an issue now if you go with the right network provider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPhantom
View Post
Very true thoughts. You forgot to add one thing though, make sure your server is stable and does not suffer from DDoS attacks. A server I had years ago had lost players because everyone was fed up that it kept getting taken off, not much of an issue now if you go with the right network provider.
As much as you invest into protection from DDOS you'll never be truly protected from it and it is pointless to invest so much money into things like these, it would be better if you invest in a decent protection. Remember that even PSN and XBOX Live were taken down even though they are operated by large companies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingBullet
View Post
icant make a account
Message me about what you're experiencing and we'll promptly get to fixing it.

Quote:
View Post
If you have more than less than 20 players and are experiencing DDoS attacks then you are an asshole or unlucky.

There is no reason why a person would attack a small server. People may argue competitiveness but my server was rapidly outgrowing other CNR servers.

You don't need a DDoS protected server to be successful nor an expensive server.

I've been with volt-host at the start paying $12/mo (for 1 year). New management ruined the site, so I went and bought a dedi that they exactly used for about $60/mo (for 4 months) - it was a lot at the time. However, their DDoS mitigation is crap.

Then I realised, I need to double up to save my server from this piece of shit knocking it down always. So I went and bought a dedi at a reliable host for over $140/mo (now over 2 years).

Fortunately, we struggled to cover the expenses until later on.

You should only buy a DDoS protected host if you have something worth protecting.

Avoid OVH and SecuredServers LLC. I'll say that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkLored
View Post
As much as you invest into protection from DDOS you'll never be truly protected from it and it is pointless to invest so much money into things like these, it would be better if you invest in a decent protection. Remember that even PSN and XBOX Live were taken down even though they are operated by large companies.
Exactly. There however is filtration. The most you can do is preserve in that situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenc_
View Post
Message me about what you're experiencing and we'll promptly get to fixing it.

If you have more than less than 20 players and are experiencing DDoS attacks then you are an asshole or unlucky.

There is no reason why a person would attack a small server. People may argue competitiveness but my server was rapidly outgrowing other CNR servers.

You don't need a DDoS protected server to be successful nor an expensive server.

I've been with volt-host at the start paying $12/mo (for 1 year). New management ruined the site, so I went and bought a dedi that they exactly used for about $60/mo (for 4 months) - it was a lot at the time. However, their DDoS mitigation is crap.

Then I realised, I need to double up to save my server from this piece of shit knocking it down always. So I went and bought a dedi at a reliable host for over $140/mo (now over 2 years).

Fortunately, we struggled to cover the expenses until later on.

You should only buy a DDoS protected host if you have something worth protecting.

Avoid OVH and SecuredServers LLC. I'll say that.

Exactly. There however is filtration. The most you can do is preserve in that situation.
When did you last host with OVH? Their game server lineup is pretty good and I have no issues with it all especially with their new Anti-DDoS Game Protection.
Also, I should have mentioned that part of having a big playerbase; my bad.

Honestly the most important thing you need to get players is an interesting server name, for example server names like "Fun time" or "stunt...." Sound interesting and be simple about it don't make it like "DM CW STUNT 100%FUN blah blah blah" that's my opinion

Quote:
View Post
When did you last host with OVH? Their game server lineup is pretty good and I have no issues with it all especially with their new Anti-DDoS Game Protection.
Also, I should have mentioned that part of having a big playerbase; my bad.
Stress tested with approval, didn't last a single bit. Haven't checked since a year plus, but I might change the comment to say "be cautious with OVH & SS"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arastair
View Post
Honestly the most important thing you need to get players is an interesting server name, for example server names like "Fun time" or "stunt...." Sound interesting and be simple about it don't make it like "DM CW STUNT 100%FUN blah blah blah" that's my opinion
Pretty much what I addressed last comment

Okay, I started a roleplay server. I'm looking for admins, who have experience and knowledge about being one. How should I get active players? I don't have hosted tab, because I have no donations yet and it costs very much. Does hosted tab really help? Should I buy it? How many players will be actively on if I buy one? Any else suggestions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinExec
View Post
Okay, I started a roleplay server. I'm looking for admins, who have experience and knowledge about being one. How should I get active players? I don't have hosted tab, because I have no donations yet and it costs very much. Does hosted tab really help? Should I buy it? How many players will be actively on if I buy one? Any else suggestions?
No hosted tab = no players.

Especially since internet tab doesn't even show internet anymore, and servers do not get monitored.