How to get players

You know why most of the servers/communities now days don't become successful? Simple, because they don't know what it takes to be it. Oh yeah, they have the amount of money to run a small community but they end up closing it because either they're not patient enough or just simply don't know how to maintain it.

From my personal experience, this is why most of them fail;

- Friendship priority: hiring their friends and giving them high(est) position, no matter if they're experienced or not.

- Lack of professionalism: this is a key reason, they just don't know how to keep everything maintained or don't have much interest.

- Staff Team: we all know this is perhaps the second most common reason, stop hiring kids and you're good to go.

- Script/GM: NGG edits..

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinExec
View Post
Okay, I started a roleplay server. I'm looking for admins, who have experience and knowledge about being one. How should I get active players? I don't have hosted tab, because I have no donations yet and it costs very much. Does hosted tab really help? Should I buy it? How many players will be actively on if I buy one? Any else suggestions?
Yes, it is very important. Unless you hold a very powerful position at another SA-MP forum aside from this and are able to advertise to them directly (some people do that) - very hard though.

Active players are formed if your server is fun. You have to give players a reason to stay.

Think like you're a player. Add features that are simple but very addicting.

Hosted tab is a risk you should take.

It doesn't matter if you don't have donations. I didn't have any when I started out, I emptied out my bank acc with $30.00 for it...

Hosted tab will:
  • Put you ahead of thousands of server into a more compact list
  • Will make you more visible to all SA-MP players
  • Will speed up the process of knowing whether you should continue with your server
  • Internet tab is the hosted tab, so players will only see servers on the hosted tab.
You can't assume that you will get a huge player count immediately.

Comes with hard work, unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FernandoLight
View Post
You know why most of the servers/communities now days don't become successful? Simple, because they don't know what it takes to be it. Oh yeah, they have the amount of money to run a small community but they end up closing it because either they're not patient enough or just simply don't know how to maintain it.

From my personal experience, this is why most of them fail;

- Friendship priority: hiring their friends and giving them high(est) position, no matter if they're experienced or not.

- Lack of professionalism: this is a key reason, they just don't know how to keep everything maintained or don't have much interest.

- Staff Team: we all know this is perhaps the second most common reason, stop hiring kids and you're good to go.

- Script/GM: NGG edits..
1. Friendship priority is good in some cases. When you're starting off especially, it's better than gambling on random people like I did. I still prioritize some friends for administration. It's just important to not interact on a very personal level. Bad for biz.

2. Indeed. Communities should try to be as professional with every situation thrown at them. Better in the long run.

3. Disagree here. I had an excellent 12 year old admin that I thought was 18. Age doesn't matter, communication skills and comprehension of the server do.

4. Controversial. NGG edits can succeed. Key word; "edits". The edits made to the gamemode can be for the better of the server. I talked about this...

Great topic especially with everyone out there trying to be a server owner (sadly due to generation changes in sa-mp) I'm not saying none of them should try tho, but creating a server just for the sake of being admin/owner is stupid, put goals behind your actions if you want to succeed, next UIF/NGG/LSRP server might start by one of you people.

Everyone said their piece , so here are my couple advises:
- Start learning how to script doesn't matter if you have 10 friends developing the server for you. Yes it's hard, yes it doesn't make any sense at first, but if you want to be a successful server owner you gotta learn how to code or at least understand the code, while community management and other stuff are very important, keeping your developers in check and script up-to-date is really important too. Your developers might give you 2000 lines of code which could be done in 10 lines just to say that "they have made huge progress" or you might simply need to make a command for some event you are preparing, you have to know how to do it.
-Everything is possible, nothing is perfection if it's done before there is a way to do it better, if it's never done there is probably a way to do it even with the sa-mp limitations
-Don't over-complicate things A cool complicated system might add alot to a gameplay, but over-complicating things might just kill the fun all together, for example people don't need to wait 5 minutes to respawn for the sake of "simulating death", it shouldn't be more than 2 minutes.
-Remember people want fun It's not fun if someone buys 1000 hours of hard-work, it's not fun if they need to grind for 1000 hours for that mediocre vehicle they have their mind on( certainly not infernus and stuff, things like admiral) balance everything, never be greedy with donations.

I personally find that people need to think about their server as a business, there is no other way around it really. Like you want to gain customers, the same concept applies to gaining players, you need to have a good product that will attract them.

Thanks, helpful thread.

We cannot get players since internet tab is died, if internet tab was working, everyone has players on his server, i'm sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopShooter
View Post
Few information that could help out to get your server grown up faster, hope it helps.

There's a few of gamemodes that are unique and hardly found on SA-MP nowadays. If you opened a server with one of them, then your server could reach a stable high playerbase of thirty to fourty immediately without waiting months. Gamemodes such as, a gamemode like New Dawn, dayz [Should be unique].

And some other gamemodes, if you used one of those gamemodes, you may reach a stable high playerbase immediately.
They are unique servers to SA-MP in a way. But realistically, they are not.

New Dawn noticed DD/DM was successful on MTA and was the first to bring it to MTA and hence players enjoyed it. The idea itself was established to be fun already.

DayZ servers were influced from zombies servers except they were pivoted exceptionally well into a stage where it was fun.

Somebody released their gamemode early and pivoted until the server was at a capacity of having players regularly play.

Roll over questions. I'm interested to help!

"That provides false hope for players and gives them very little reason to stay with the server in the future, especially if they cannot help.

What you should do just ignore or in extreme, suspend them (like I do) for 1 hour just to make them stop asking. But always do make it explicitly clear that it's possible to become a staff member."

I never said people have no chance of being admin. I simply tell them its earned, and nagging about it will put them out of the running.

In the 10-ish years I've been doing this...I can honestly say that while a small majority of people who ask for admin genuinely want to help...most of the people who ask (and ask and ask) just end up getting fired after a month because all they do is brag about being admin, and show off their powers by abusing players (usually new players, which is worse than abusing old players)

Honestly, most communities never make it to the opening date due to the creators losing motivation.

Sounds good.

Quote:

5-10 is still not bad. It most likely may have been mainly your server's name & overall fun within the gamemode.

When the server began I was happy having 5 players online.But I couldn't pay anymore since the server didn't get enough players, a common reason to a lot of servers getting closed.Getting players is not as easy as it seems.A lot of people think "Owning servers is easy" and criticize you at any way possible without knowing the hard work dedicated to getting players, and even owning a community.Getting players requires a lot of things, such as having a playable gamemode, having nice and mature staff, I've also noticed, that the name is very important tho.But one of the most reasons is having you're server on the hosted list.Sure some servers are on the hosted list but they have 0 players on.Why?Probably because of a not so playable gamemode, a lousy name..70% newly formed servers are doomed to close for many reasons which we all know.It's a shame a project you work on so hard, dedicate you're time and knowledge goes to waste, but hey you learn from you're mistakes is what I always say, just don't repeat them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaisersouse
View Post
"That provides false hope for players and gives them very little reason to stay with the server in the future, especially if they cannot help.

What you should do just ignore or in extreme, suspend them (like I do) for 1 hour just to make them stop asking. But always do make it explicitly clear that it's possible to become a staff member."

I never said people have no chance of being admin. I simply tell them its earned, and nagging about it will put them out of the running.

In the 10-ish years I've been doing this...I can honestly say that while a small majority of people who ask for admin genuinely want to help...most of the people who ask (and ask and ask) just end up getting fired after a month because all they do is brag about being admin, and show off their powers by abusing players (usually new players, which is worse than abusing old players)
Your post says otherwise...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSaint
View Post
Honestly, most communities never make it to the opening date due to the creators losing motivation.
Very true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godly
View Post
When the server began I was happy having 5 players online.But I couldn't pay anymore since the server didn't get enough players, a common reason to a lot of servers getting closed.Getting players is not as easy as it seems.A lot of people think "Owning servers is easy" and criticize you at any way possible without knowing the hard work dedicated to getting players, and even owning a community.Getting players requires a lot of things, such as having a playable gamemode, having nice and mature staff, I've also noticed, that the name is very important tho.But one of the most reasons is having you're server on the hosted list.Sure some servers are on the hosted list but they have 0 players on.Why?Probably because of a not so playable gamemode, a lousy name..70% newly formed servers are doomed to close for many reasons which we all know.It's a shame a project you work on so hard, dedicate you're time and knowledge goes to waste, but hey you learn from you're mistakes is what I always say, just don't repeat them.
Yea, I touched on a few points you mentioned. Server name + hosted tab need to be on point, imo, to get some form of traction going.

-

Will be making some more additions to the thread, stay tuned. Give questions so that I can answer in the main thread, I guess!

Great Guide!!

Invest on domain name and get a decent forum up and running.
I would not consider registering broken forums or .tk domains, looks bad ( gives a feel that you are out of cash and the server will shut down soon ).

Throughout my 5 years of experience as a staff member on a TDM server, I have almost seen each and every aspect of running and developing a healthy and stable server and community. In those 5 years, I have worked my way up the ladder - starting from the 'Trial Moderator' position all the way up to the 'Server Manager' position. Properly managing a server doesn't have to be very difficult - as long as you know what you are doing, know what to do in the future and as long as you have a great team of staff members and a supportive community actively participating in your server's progress.

When I first joined the server I became staff on (roughly 5-6 years ago) the server was still in it's infancy and not far as developed as the server is today. The server had very little mapping and scripting, messages had minor grammar mistakes and typo's and the forum was hosted on one of those free forum websites. ''What a shitty server'' you would say, though, a good reasonable amount of people were actively playing on that server (average of 40-50/100).
How is this possible?
Obviously, times are different nowadays - so what I am about to say might not work a 100%.
1. Find a working concept. There weren't as many TDM servers back in the days. From my memory, there were only four significant TDM servers (my server included). Obviously, the people who are interested in a TDM concept, would play on either of the available servers. Find a working concept that very little people do - and that you can do better (to be discussed later on). Or, take a popular concept and innovate (also to be discussed later on).
2. Community and branding. Just because you have players on your server, does not mean you have a community. There is a difference between the people who join your server only once for 15-30 minutes and the ones who are still there after 2-3 years. Try to force your players in a very subtle way to sign up on your forum and get involved in the activities of your server. Obviously, there are a couple of reasons why people want to sign up on your forum: ban appeals, submitting suggestions, obtaining a server/clan tag and so on. In our case, we made people sign up on our forum if they wanted to wear the community tag or if they wanted to join a restricted team which is only accessible through applications. There are many more reasons to come up with to get people to sign up on your forum, be creative but be subtle about it.
Secondly, branding. Make sure to decide what kind of style you want your server to have, make sure everything matches with eachother. If you have a roleplay server for example, a forum theme with soldiers and tanks wouldn't be taken seriously by your potential playerbase. Make sure you have a logo and optionally a slogan. You want people to remember your name.

TLDR Find a working concept that is done by a few others or be innovative in an already succesful concept. Players are not the same as a community. Make sure people register on your forum and make them actively participate. Get a proper website (optional), forum, logo and slogan (optional).

Once you have the foundations of the server, it's time to build and innovate. It's very important to stay or get ahead of the competition by being better. For our TDM server it was not that difficult to come up with cool new features, side missions, game mechanics and better server mapping. Find something that other servers don't have, and implement it on your server. Or - steal a feature from another server and improve it. An example: we had a bomb planting mission where the terrorists had to plant a bomb in Area 51. The mission was pretty straight forward. Run and gun to the marker, type /plantbomb and defend it. Over the course of several years, we have improved the mission and added some new features to it. Right now, the terrorists have to open the blastdoors by either hacking a control panel (requires a certain character level) or by driving a truck full of explosives to the gate. Then, they have to make their way inside and have to breach yet another set of blastdoors before being able to plant four bombs by pressing and holding down the button.
Here is a shortlist of things you can improve.
1. Help, FAQ. Especially when you have a roleplay server, this is a must. Make sure you explain the core mechanics of the game as simple and short as possible. Give people the opportunity to get more in-depth information if they want, either or forum or in game.
2. Server features. As described before, find cool features to add on your server or take features from other servers and improve them.
3. Mapping. Especially when you have a roleplay server, but this also applies to other servers. If there is one thing that attracts people to a server - it is custom mapping. Get a good mapper to develop maps that work. A map should not lag, should not be buggy and has to make sense (unless you are a freeroam server). Especially in TDM servers it is important to make a map work. Make sure it fits the setting (no skyscrapers in the desert) and that people have a lot of places to interact with (for example, to get cover or to ambush opponents).
4. Community involvement. Find reasons or activities in order to get your community involved. In our case, we had 'Community Feedback' topics whenever major updates were released, faction/group tournaments and random events.
Don't be afraid to ask your community to let them suggest what features they want, and don't be afraid to expirement with certain suggestions. For a short period of time, we had a special 'Brainstormers' group who would think of new features and existing features to improve. Although the group did not achieve all the results we wanted, it was still useful. Every success comes with failure.

TLDR Improve your server by adding new features and by being innovative. Staying ahead of the competition is important. There are several things you can improve, see examples in the shortlist above.

While you are working on building and innovating, it is also important to give people a reason to stay on your server. As an example, for our TDM server we spent an entire summer working on special character classes with unlockable weapons, ammo and features. People absolutely loved it and they just had to be the first to unlock the highest tier in a character class.
Things you can do to make people stay on your server.
1. Loyalty system. Reward your players for being on your server. Especially roleplay servers reward their players by giving out paychecks every hour and by collecting tokens every hour which can be redeemed for in game items. (We did not implement this on our server)
2. Achievements. This works on every server. There are all sorts of achievements you can implement on your server. For example: Kill 1.000 enemies with a dildo, be the first to finish a race 10 times, reach 1000 playing hours etc.
3. Player progression. People should be rewarded for their activities on your server. Have upgradable classes, allow people to own more vehicles or whatever.
4. Special groups. Have special groups in your server that require people a certain amount of server experience and statistics. For roleplay servers, think of the police department. For TDM servers, think of elite military groups and so on.
5. Competitive gameplay. See 2 and 3. In addition, allow people to start their own groups for more involvement and healthy rivalry between groups. Make them fight for the number one spot and hand out features and special privileges to those who work hard.

Great, so you have the foundations of your server, you have built and innovated and you gave people a reason to stay on your server. The next step is to constantly reflect on your activities and learn from mistakes made by you, by your staff members and other communities.
A couple of mistakes made by us other other communities.
1. Staff and the community. Staff involvement with the community is very important and something which has to be managed properly. You don't want staff members who want their asses licked or who lick higher ranked asses 24/7 or who feel to good to answer player's question. My advice when you have such a staff member in your team, throw them out as soon as possible. In our case, our staff team used to be something similar to a group of friends. Everything was relaxed and informal. If a problem occured, there would be no hesitation in asking or helping. Though, the danger arises that staff members will no longer obey your orders if you treat them too much as a friend. Make sure your staff team knows the rules and make sure they are good at enforcing it.
If there is one thing I hate most and what would be the number one reason to never return to a server is when no staff is present or when they don't aswer your questions or just misbehave themselves. Sometimes I used to log in using an undercover account just to test the quality of your staff team.
And lastly, make sure that you aren't being some kind of dictator. I used to play on a small medium roleplay server where they used to ban people for expressing critisism on the server's vision. Unless you want a community full of 'dead' players, you should embrace critisism and feedback. Regularly ask the community for their opinion and keep them involved in your server's progress. Make sure your community is alive and not afraid of using their voice.
2. Refunding roleplay servers and script edits. Don't waste your time if you are a refunding roleplay server based on someone else's script. I am 99.9% sure that your server will die within a week.
3. Donations. Make sure that donators do not become some sort of god and that players who do not donate stand no chance against them. Preferably you should offer donation packages that unlock additional features (such as being able to own more vehicles). It is also possible to allow donators to carry additional weapons, unlock special classes - but be careful and make sure it is balanced. It is also very important to look at the price/power ratio. If the price of a donation package is far below the amount of power a player gets, chances are your playerbase will complain in great masses (we had to learn this the hard way when having holiday discounts).
4. Poor anticheat. Pretty self explainatory. Make sure it is a 100% waterproof. Checking for health hack for example, should not be automated but checked manually.
5. Selling staff positions. Have some self respect.
6. Backups. Make sure you have working backups. There is nothing as worse when you have to tell your community that their data will be rolled back to 4 months ago.
7. Be willing to invest in your server. Get a reliable host. Get a hosted tab listing. Although a website is not required, it is highly recommended you get one. Personally, before I join a server I always check their website/forum first. Experience learns that if the site looks bad, the server is bad as well (in most cases). Learn some basic HTML and edit a bootstrap template. And lastly, get a domain and not a free createaforum kind of site. Make sure that the forum itself is appealing to the eye with no bright colors or unorganized boards and topics. Keep it clean and organized.
8. Do not copy others. Unless you want a shitload of hate from other communities, do not completely copy the features of others. Have some respect for the work of others. There used to be a TDM server literally copying each and every feature on the server, from dialogs to mapping (luckily, textures could not be copied - rendering the maps useless).
9. Do not over complicate your gamemode. If your gamemode is too overwhelming or too confusing because of the huge amount of features without proper guidance, people will leave on the spot. Treat new players as newborn babies. They have to learn how the gamemode works by experiencing the features step by step. Very few people read the FAQ when they join.

There is probably a whole lot more to discuss but I can not think of as of now. I'm not saying that my server is all perfect and everyone should be like us, no. It is important to keep in mind that nothing lasts forever and everything will die down eventually. Our golden years were 2-3 years ago. I can remember that one summer when we first hit a 100 online players 4 years ago, and a 150 the year after. Lately I have been very busy with school and other real life activities causing me to spend less and less time on the server. I am barely involved, and so is the owner. One time he even said that he gave up on the server just because he also, lost interest. When I asked him why he would keep the server online, he replied ''I keep it online because people are still playing''. Which brings me to my last point: Every step and every decision you take, should be for the players and the community. Only if you truly care about your community, you will succeed.

TLDR If you are only planning to read all the TLDRs, you do not deserve players on your server. Be willing to work for it.

Good job writing this.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with the community. I really enjoyed reading through all of the posts! I'll get back to writing about my own ones some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenc_
View Post
Message me about what you're experiencing and we'll promptly get to fixing it.

If you have more than less than 20 players and are experiencing DDoS attacks then you are an asshole or unlucky.

There is no reason why a person would attack a small server. People may argue competitiveness but my server was rapidly outgrowing other CNR servers.

You don't need a DDoS protected server to be successful nor an expensive server.

I've been with volt-host at the start paying $12/mo (for 1 year). New management ruined the site, so I went and bought a dedi that they exactly used for about $60/mo (for 4 months) - it was a lot at the time. However, their DDoS mitigation is crap.

Then I realised, I need to double up to save my server from this piece of shit knocking it down always. So I went and bought a dedi at a reliable host for over $140/mo (now over 2 years).

Fortunately, we struggled to cover the expenses until later on.

You should only buy a DDoS protected host if you have something worth protecting.

Avoid OVH and SecuredServers LLC. I'll say that.

Exactly. There however is filtration. The most you can do is preserve in that situation.
Why should we avoid OVH..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathReaper
View Post
Yeah, I see servers using CNRSF Gamemode which are edited but only some minor changes have an average of 25 players right now. Nothing much has been edited in GM but, since the players like it.....They stay in the server. @DanLore did a nice job but is not credited for the gamemode. Those servers are having like atleast 10 players avg after 15 days the day they started. Well, I agree that this topic needs be made a sticky.
CNRSF is an example of a gamemode that is heavily inspired by (if not copied from) our server. The creators were ex-staff back in the day. It is an example of attempting to do better than another server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorHunter
View Post
Why should we avoid OVH..?
Experience, tendency to cause many problems compared to others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markparker12
View Post
The best players attractor(for noobs who just need players and don't care about anything else. beware!) -

Download SATDM.

Edit it.

Upload it on 0.3c R5 server.

Put [HIRING ADMINS][FREE VIP] in server name.

Oh yeah I forgot something, put [RU] tag in server name and language slot should have these languages - English,Russian,Romanian.

Give free money and score to players who join.

That's it!

I have done this and I got a 29/500 playerbase which is worth it :P

But it's of no fun, to be honest.
A classic example of how powerful a server name can be. Don't recommend it however. It's pointless having players that have close to no interaction with other players (by any means).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenc_
View Post
Avoid OVH and SecuredServers LLC. I'll say that.
Can you elaborate a bit?