Question about DDoS threats.

You're right, they can't risk their IPs

I believe most DDoS attacks are Spoofed UDP, so you can't get the attacker's (Server/Botnet) real IP address, so you have no evidence except their chat logs saying "I'm going to DDoS you now".

The best thing to do with kiddies like these is to completely iptables/block their IP from your server, this way they "may" be fooled into thinking it's offline, and then block all communication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanz
View Post
I'm sure they don't use their home ISP's upload isn't capable to take down a VPS server. They clearly are using botnets/booters.
OP says he has "an IP". If they were using botnets or booters, there'd be multiple IPs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaveDweller
View Post
OP says he has "an IP". If they were using botnets or booters, there'd be multiple IPs.
If it's only 1 attacker, then it's not a DDoS as it's not Distributed (>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DoS#Distributed_attack <<)

And yes, you can send an abuse report, but it will be hard to get evidence, because:
  1. The attack is "distributed", that means there isn't an specific IP address to report but hundreds or thousands of them.
  2. Whoever triggered the botnet's action will most likely not take part of the attack and just let the botnet do its job.
  3. Unless you can somehow break into the botnet or something, it will be hard to prove that whoever threatened you actually triggered the attack. A simple chatlog of someone saying "i will ddos u hahahaahha" probably won't be of much value to the attacker's ISP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocMax
View Post
Actually the servers were DDoSed for real.
Rent a dedi from OVH, their Anti-DDOS mitigation comes included - http://www.ovh.com/us/anti-ddos/

i think the host which you bought the VPS/Host from it can support you DoS protection,contact your host owners/moderators they will help you out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin Diesel
View Post
i think the host which you bought the VPS/Host from it can support you DoS protection,contact your host owners/moderators they will help you out
Usually they will just null route, DDoS protection isn't cheap for anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elorreli
View Post
Usually they will just null route, DDoS protection isn't cheap for anyone.
True that, at least it is going in the right direction with cheaper price and more protection included by default.
Anyhow, the DDOS threat is becoming greater. You could get a reverse tcp proxy for your server if your host does not provide any protection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutt3r
View Post
True that, at least it is going in the right direction with cheaper price and more protection included by default.
Anyhow, the DDOS threat is becoming greater. You could get a reverse tcp proxy for your server if your host does not provide any protection.
Just correcting this, SA-MP uses UDP (And not TCP), so a Reverse TCP Proxy won't work. A GRE Tunnel should work.

I would rather buy a kimsufi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanz
View Post
I would rather buy a kimsufi
OVH is okay as long as you never have to deal with their customer support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rymax99
View Post
OVH is okay as long as you never have to deal with their customer support.
Yeah, it took a week until they confirmed the payment, and probably i have to wait extra week until they activate the service -,-

Learn to not give a fuck and laugh about it. Obviously, if you deem the situation as more important, then move to a better Anti-DoS/DDoS server host.

The thing is, most people just do DoS and call it DDoS, that's the most funniest thing I consider B-)