Scripting in own language

I am Turkish and I almost never scripted anything in Turkish,everything is English,not even comments ""//"",maybe some of them are Turkish,but almost nothing. And I agree with you Vince,its pretty annoying -.-

true i have to say

It's possible to make use of macros to support native functions in non-English language. For me, I know a little English so I script everything in the script in English (except those clients can see). AFAIK some of the other scripts made by Chinese uses phonetic transcription to express Chinese in English, so as to name their functions and variables.

It's pretty natural to script in their own languages, because not everyone know English. They know their language and they can easily understand the code. The choice of the language depends on different people, and you can't say it's (always) bad. Basically even if you can't understand what the name of the variable means, it's just a name and you can still identify it, so it doesn't affect you to help people scripting in non-English language here.

I'm dutch, and i can speak english/germans, yet everything i make will be english

The answer for me is the same as for most other questions here: because the majority of people here are 14 years old and might not even have started to learn english at school, or at least they just have very very basic english skills (about every second post here is written in horrible english, especially in scripting help)
So those guys definitely wont write their scripts in english, no matter how much you complain or suggest, they simply cant.
BTW its not just the language. Most of the young scripters are and always will be worse scripters than their older fellows. Simply because theyre missing major mathematical, or in general logical knowledge.

90% of those scripts written in foreign languages suck, and 90% of the 14-year old scripters suck. So thats a quite clear case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leong124
Посмотреть сообщение
Basically even if you can't understand what the name of the variable means, it's just a name and you can still identify it, so it doesn't affect you to help people scripting in non-English language here.
That is mostly true, but it does make a big difference. If I see a variable called "currentPlayerHouse" I can make an informed decision of its purpose, and can track it through code with just a glance as I know the words so it is much easier to remember. If I see another one called "currentPlayerHorse" then I can instantly see it is different and can guess when they are used in the wrong place by context alone. If I see variables "acxydgOpgertic" and "acxydyOpirst" I can't guess the meaning and find it hard to track them as you need to remember a string of (seemingly) random letters instead of words and concepts.

I'm not saying it is impossible - many bugs can still be seen and you can still look at where variables are used, but imho it is harder and (I'm sorry to say) I generally won't try as I rely I on the context a lot.

lol wtf Mauzen quite off top there :d
u dont need to be math genius to script something in pawn..

if u all guys continue with this.. imagine a world with no languages only one english that would be boring no? xd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermax7777
Посмотреть сообщение

if u all guys continue with this.. imagine a world with no languages only one english that would be boring no? xd
Computer science is based on mathematics. That's what most newbies don't understand and this is the reason why they can't write quality code.

In my opinion, a world with only one language (I don't care which one) would be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastermax7777
Посмотреть сообщение

Thats my opinion about the topic. How can that be offtopic?
And I didnt say you need to be a genius, but that the script kids lack major parts of the most fundamental maths and problem solving basics, just because they didnt learn it yet.
Trigonometry. People learn that in 8th or 9th grade. It is probably the most important basic for games at all. And there are thousands of questions by people who got no idea of it. Sure you can create nice scripts without knowing about that, but every damn second guy who wants to create his own roleplay gm asks how to get the position of a cars trunk.
About one of three help threads start like "how to do this?" or "how to create a script that does ...", mostly asking for extremely simple things, because the askers got no damn idea of how to solve a problem on their own. They got the parts (e.g. the scripting functions) and know what the result should look like, but got absolutely now idea how to put the parts in place to get that result. So either half of the community is extremely stupid, or they simply arent familiar with solving problems, which you mainly learn while growing up by everyday experiences.
I could go on with examples for hours. However, for me there is absolutely no doubt that most of the scripting problems arent scripting problems, but problems of too young wannabe scripters, who should rather grow up and come back in 5 years, and theyll realize that their problems arent problems anymore. And theyll also realize that using variable names and comments in their own language instead of english doesnt help anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y_Less
Посмотреть сообщение
That is mostly true, but it does make a big difference. If I see a variable called "currentPlayerHouse" I can make an informed decision of its purpose, and can track it through code with just a glance as I know the words so it is much easier to remember. If I see another one called "currentPlayerHorse" then I can instantly see it is different and can guess when they are used in the wrong place by context alone. If I see variables "acxydgOpgertic" and "acxydyOpirst" I can't guess the meaning and find it hard to track them as you need to remember a string of (seemingly) random letters instead of words and concepts.

I'm not saying it is impossible - many bugs can still be seen and you can still look at where variables are used, but imho it is harder and (I'm sorry to say) I generally won't try as I rely I on the context a lot.
True, readability is inevitably affected if the names can't be understood.

In my opinion, programming languages must be based on Ancient Greek or Modern Greek. Why? Because ancient Greek and Modern Greek has lots of different words (ancient Greek has more i think) on it and you can explain something with 3 or 4 different ways but will have the same sense.

Recently i read an article about programming languages and it was saying that NASA is learning Ancient Greek because is easier for them to use ancient Greek than English. As i know 3000 words in English Language are taken from the Greek Language. Ex: History, Biology etc.

Link?

I can't find it right now, but as i can speak Greek, i can see that its easier for me to explain something with accuracy than English.

You can tell that, English is not my first language, so i don't know all the words etc, but believe me is easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ]Rafaellos[
Посмотреть сообщение
In my opinion, programming languages must be based on Ancient Greek or Modern Greek. Why? Because ancient Greek and Modern Greek has lots of different words (ancient Greek has more i think) on it and you can explain something with 3 or 4 different ways but will have the same sense.

Recently i read an article about programming languages and it was saying that NASA is learning Ancient Greek because is easier for them to use ancient Greek than English. As i know 3000 words in English Language are taken from the Greek Language. Ex: History, Biology etc.
True, but they are modified. They don't come from as exact, just something modified. Each English word has its origins from Greek/Latin/German/French languages. English is a world language, so it is implemented into most programs, but I'd really like to have many languages, like French, Hindi, etc..

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
I can't find it right now, but as i can speak Greek, i can see that its easier for me to explain something with accuracy than English.

You can tell that, English is not my first language, so i don't know all the words etc, but believe me is easier.
That just sounds like your argument is "I know Greek, so Greek is easir and all languages should use it". I would point out that modern English is derived from ancient Greek as well as multiple other sources (Latin/Romance/Nordic etc) so it does seem quite counter-intuative that the derivative would have less words than the derivation, especially when English is widely regarded as having the widest range of technical words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y_Less
Посмотреть сообщение
That just sounds like your argument is "I know Greek, so Greek is easir and all languages should use it".
You understand wrong. I said that its easier to explain and tell something, with different ways, but with the same sense. BUT, Greek is very difficult to learn.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
you can explain something with 3 or 4 different ways but will have the same sense.
They are called synonyms and exist in any language (English too). Also, I really don't think you can find synonyms to a simple word like "potato".