Scripting in own language

Why do people do this, really? And by that I don't mean client messages. I'm talking about creating variables and function names in your native language (if not English). I guess this is fine if you don't ever have to request help and you're the only scripter. Yet, if you do have to request help then people most likely won't be bothered to translate whatever "Vardas", "Vardukas" or "vartotojai" is, and as a result will click away from the thread. I am a Belgian, I speak Dutch, but all my scripts are in English, even the comments.

You can't force people to do anything Vince... Just suck it up and deal with it

I never understood this either, IMO it's just very confusing if part of your script is in your own language and part of the script is 'English' (default functions like SendClientMessage)
I usually ignore help topics which require me to figure out what a variable means lol

I'm half Dutch half Romanian, but I don't like doing it in one of these languages. Why? Because as far as I know, the programming languages are based on English. I try to help people who have scripts in own languages, but when I see stocks, comments, whatever, a collection of things I can't understand, I click away.
True, you can't force people to script in English, but it's a good idea to do if you want good help here, and if you want to have a good programming structure.

This is my opinion though, I guess everyone has to do what they think is best.

@ Vince: i completedly agree. i, as german, prefer english as primary language for the desktop, programs, and games, as its designed in.
little functions with "weird" names are irrelevant as long the code inside is easy to read. if not, the topic creator lost 1* potential help already...
i have to admit, commenting my stuff is done mainly in english, but for quick thoughts i prefer my native language.
+@Jari_Johnson: yes, you CAN force scripters to do everything in english, as i can. just keep going omg, thats a conspiracy!

I wondered this myself. It's quite annoying to try and help someone with scripting issues when we can't even understand their code!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babul
View Post
@ Vince: i completedly agree. i, as german, prefer english as primary language for the desktop, programs, and games, as its designed in.
little functions with "weird" names are irrelevant as long the code inside is easy to read. if not, the topic creator lost 1* potential help already...
i have to admit, commenting my stuff is done mainly in english, but for quick thoughts i prefer my native language.
+@Jari_Johnson: yes, you CAN force scripters to do everything in english, as i can. just keep going omg, thats a conspiracy!
Haha, if you look at it that way, yes, you can xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayan_black
View Post
You can't force people to do anything Vince... Just suck it up and deal with it
Indeed.
But what can you do about that?

Maybe it's easy for they to do it in this way.
(Rhyme, I'm soooo gooood )

Actually, it's true. I'm a Polish guy and I rather English language in programming. Compilers are based on English, progamming languages are based on English language so, I don't see a point of creating variables, structures, enums, stocks/publics or anything other in different language because, it might make people confused. If I see a script which is created in different language than English, then I skip to the another topic.

English is an official language in EU, I know there's not relationship between 'official language' and 'programming language' but if you want to release something, then it should be in English language.

P.S
To be honest, don't know why but a lot of my files on PC are named in English.. Does this mean, that I'm not a Polish guy anymore? lol.

I've never programmed in language other than english. It's latin of our age.

I tend to use Dutch variable names sometimes, just out of laziness. The scripts which use these Dutch variables, are not meant to be read by other people, so I don't really care about it. If some script is supposed to be read (or can be read) by other people, I prefer English variable names.

I'm Belgian aswel but I'm yet to write my first program in dutch. If all the functions, all the callbacks, everything, is in English why would you bother doing it in a different language. Just complicates things.

Come to think of it, if someone gains unauthorised access to your files, and everything in there is in gibberish - you could say that your obfuscation method successfully helped to protect your code

I am always scripting in English.. i even name folders and files in English.. i also opt for English language in all the games i play.. as a Romanian playing a game that's in my language seems kinda weird ? I don't know why ..but it does.Even though i won't share my scripts with someone else than my scripting buddy who is also Romanian .. i still script in English.Maybe it's easier for them to script in their language than in English.I'd say about 80% of the people naming variables in their native language don't know English very well.

I think variables and other things (stock etc.) should be in english.
Comments can be in a another language (i write notes in my language, you can write important comments in english and "personal" comments in a language you prefer.)

I'm romanian, but I use english to name variables and functions, even though I rarely share code.

I don't know why (maybe because I'm not using them very often?), but I find it hard to find synonyms for english words related to programming in romanian and when I do, they sound so gay.

I never used Romanian in any function. Only English. That's not beacuse I think about others, but because when I'm scripting I am used to use English. And also I think that a server that is full English(with players also speaking English) can be populated faster than any other. I'm currently working on DRP and It's full English. I think I'll start a server when I'll finish it and I want players all over the world.

EDIT: wat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner
Посмотреть сообщение
I'm Belgian aswel but I'm yet to write my first program in dutch. If all the functions, all the callbacks, everything, is in English why would you bother doing it in a different language. Just complicates things.
^this. However learning a new language is fun while you program with it. :3 I downloaded a spanish include and tbh i completed understand it (even the variables).

I can't personally comment on this as I am English and only speak English - saying I think that code should be English from that point of view is a bit arrogant. However, these things might be of interest:

(Short) Stack Overflow discussion on the subject.

Much more in-depth discussion of the topic, with a brief bit on Linus Torvalds' view (Swedish speaking Finn).

List of non-English programming languages, I've seen a video on قلب before, though obviously I had no clue what the code said.

Edit: The Linus quote is one I've heard in the past and what I was searching for a source for when I found the first two links. The qlb language is what I was searching for when I found the third link.