General misconception of the "Database" meaning.

I have been browsing the SA:MP forums alot lately, mostly reading people's comments, and found that most people is having a curious misconception of what a database is. Here are a few examples :
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burridge
View Post
[...] However with a large playerbase saving data to a database rather than text files is probably a faster option. I must stress however that this post may not be accurate or correct, as I only work with MySQL/SQLite, and not ini systems.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y_Less
View Post
It is based on files, but with DB style features for looking up things.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_
View Post
It depends on the data you're loading / saving, how much of it there is, and the type of data. If, for example, it was a user account system for a popular server, then databases generally are much faster so therefore it would be BUD.
Quote:
View Post
It really does depend. y_ini is optimised for loading a load of continuous data from a file, databases are much better at pulling different chunks of data from different places and combining them.
"Database rather than text files", "files but with database-style features"

Both are a perfect example for this misconception, let me explain :

There are two main types of databases used in programming, no matter what the language is :
  • Flat-File
  • Relational
- Flat-File databases are a type of data storage structure that relays on files. As long as you are storing data in "plain" (Yet following a pattern) text files, that is called a database.

- Relational databases are what they (quotes above) apparently think as being the only database type (These are mostly known as SQL databases, so I guess I don't need to go through any further explanations).

A database is, in short, a structure you follow when storing and gathering information. It can be SQL, but let's not forget that files can also form databases.

More info here, here and here.

Who caresssssss

Go outside pls

I couldn't care less.

No need to be like that guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP2
View Post
Who caresssssss

Go outside pls
What he said was a valid point. There is a large misconception about what databases are.

The official SQL tutorial calls them Databases, therefore your logic is futile.

http://www.w3schools.com/SQL

Quote:

SQL is a standard language for accessing databases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper Kitty
View Post
The official SQL tutorial calls them Databases, therefore your logic is futile.

http://www.w3schools.com/SQL
Did you even read the thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [ABK]Antonio
View Post
Did you even read the thread?
Yeah he pointed out the two different database types, Flat-File and Relational.

My point was that in the SQL tutorial it doesn't specifically say that their Relational databases it just says their databases, so his logic is futile (pointless, incase you didn't know what futile means).

You are absolutely right, a database is just an organised collection of data however in SA-MP when we're talking about database we usally mean the database management system behind it like MySQL or SQLlite.

If you answer a question in the scripting help section to some new guy that is figuring out what to use (usally "dini or shuld i use database but it hard?") you don't start about the difference between database types and how they are applied. You simply answer with that a database is better in this case because .... the member will understand and go with one of the two mysql plugins. However your point is valid.

And guys you don't have to be rude because he quoted Y_Less and said he had a misconception..

Context is just as important as the actual meaning of the word "Database". In SA-MP, as playboy12 explained, we generally distinguish data saving structures as either "file systems" (dini, y_ini, ...) and databases (MySQL, SQLite, ...) therefore what the defenition of "Database" IS, is not of importance--as in, we don't need to know the specific categories to explain our problem.

In another environment you may be discussing the difference between relational systems, flat files, ... in which case you may want to specify, but again, we don't need to do that here.

I can understand your point though, sometimes it gets confusing when everyone starts calling any type of data-saving a database.

Quote:
Originally Posted by playbox12
Посмотреть сообщение
You are absolutely right, a database is just an organised collection of data however in SA-MP when we're talking about database we usally mean the database management system behind it like MySQL or SQLlite.

If you answer a question in the scripting help section to some new guy that is figuring out what to use (usally "dini or shuld i use database but it hard?") you don't start about the difference between database types and how they are applied. You simply answer with that a database is better in this case because .... the member will understand and go with one of the two mysql plugins. However your point is valid.

And guys you don't have to be rude because he quoted Y_Less and said he had a misconception..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinner
Посмотреть сообщение
Context is just as important as the actual meaning of the word "Database". In SA-MP, as playboy12 explained, we generally distinguish data saving structures as either "file systems" (dini, y_ini, ...) and databases (MySQL, SQLite, ...) therefore what the defenition of "Database" IS, is not of importance--as in, we don't need to know the specific categories to explain our problem.

In another environment you may be discussing the difference between relational systems, flat files, ... in which case you may want to specify, but again, we don't need to do that here.

I can understand your point though, sometimes it gets confusing when everyone starts calling any type of data-saving a database.
Yup, I noticed that, I actually was thinking about that as I was writing this. I guess it's simply an habit in the SA-MP community, and those who do know that it's wrong just follow the habit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper Kitty
Посмотреть сообщение
Yeah he pointed out the two different database types, Flat-File and Relational.

My point was that in the SQL tutorial it doesn't specifically say that their Relational databases it just says their databases, so his logic is futile (pointless, incase you didn't know what futile means).
I was not talking about SQL databases, I was talking about relational databases, SQL DBs are part of them, but not the only ones. You're totally right in saying it was pointless, since the only relational DBs used in SA-MP are SQL, but I prefer being as general as I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eony
Посмотреть сообщение
I prefer being as general as I can.
In that case make sure you also differentiate between computer databases (SQL, NoSQL, flat-file, ORM), and paper databases (folders, filing cabinets etc) as well.

I do agree that the first quote from me was a poor one though, but I was (as others have said) trying to explain it in terms other people here know and understand.

I have thought that a NoSQL plugin would be very handy, as most people here really don't take any advantage of 90% of SQLs ability, they merely seem to use (SQL) databases as a "faster" key-value pair store. If you're going to do that, you may as well use a system explicitly designed to do that.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
(SQL, NoSQL, flat-file, ORM)
ORM is not a database, it's a technique

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
I do agree that the first quote from me was a poor one though, but I was (as others have said) trying to explain it in terms other people here know and understand.
I understand that, I guess people are just too used to simply calling SQL databases "databases", which is why I made this topic, it's not much of a big deal anyways, just wanted to express myself in the subject

For all those who insulted me, and generally disliked this : I apologize if you felt I was being arrogant here, my intentions weren't bad at all, I was simply giving my opinion on the subject.

SQL is a language, NoSQL is a lack of a language, so really they're not databases either.

I'm off topic but this really is a useless topic. This board and community is about SA-MP. We may use different "terminology" or use the same terminology but use it in different meaning than other programming forums/boards/websites/etc, why? -- Because we can really. As long as someone else knows what the other person or people is/are talking about then we're fine.

If there was a topic for every 'misconception' the forum would explode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven82
Посмотреть сообщение
I'm off topic but this really is a useless topic. This board and community is about SA-MP. We may use different "terminology" or use the same terminology but use it in different meaning than other programming forums/boards/websites/etc, why? -- Because we can really. As long as someone else knows what the other person or people is/are talking about then we're fine.
Yup, I agree with that, no need to complicate ourselves right? Changing the habits of a whole community is hard anyways, and in this case, pointless. But once again, I just wanted to express myself in the subject