Question about VPS

LOL nice argument.
Well I have a VPS having 128MB RAM(getting more soon), unlimited bandwidth, 10GB HDD space, 2 core CPU and I can run my server perfectly fine on it. The more NPC's you add the more CPU power it uses. Generally a SAMP server uses about 10MB RAM for each player(or less).
I can even run a GNOME Desktop on it

This is its process manager, when the system is running a SAMP server with 4 NPC's. (CentOS + GNOME desktop)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorHost-Kevin
Посмотреть сообщение
A VPS CAN and WILL run a SAMP server perfectly fine.

In fact, there is lots of clients that say there is no issues with running it, and most people here would recommend a VPS for hosting purposes if you outgrew your shared game hosting experience.

It may be your internet connection then, cause i have also ran SAMP server on a VPS numerous of times for testing purposes, and there was NO lag or packet loss.
Depends on the VPS's internet connection.

Its all good ,but you need to make the server players capacity only */20 Because of your ram

This is my opinion.

Firstly, I would like to agree with most of the replies here, stating that a VPS can run SAMP servers well. Although there are many factors that could cause a VPS to have problems, such as lag. CPU, Memory, as well as the available bandwidth and network speed are the biggest factors.

Secondly, some are arguing that a VPS isn’t the correct solution, and a Dedicated server is the way to go. I would agree, that a dedicated server will always be better than a VPS, although for the average community that is on a budget, a VPS will be the more cost efficient choice.

To better answer your question on whether that specific VPS you are looking at will work, please include the following additional information.
CPU (number of CPU's, amount of cores, speed)
Bandwidth (speed of network, and bandwidth allowed)
Operating System (Windows uses a lot more than linux OS's.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkirill
Посмотреть сообщение
Yea,i had a working HP PC in my house untill it died.
it had a server built-in,but never knew how to access that server + it was an old pc.
Actually not only HP has server built-in,i had non-HP pc and i could run servers,somehow (no idea how,i was 9 years old and i just loved to open servers through server manager
or something like that,it was a program,nothing hard,all i had to do is open the program and it starts the server auto')
To move on to this information... I am not trying to argue with you, I am just wanting other readers to get the correct information about the above quote.
Many motherboards include virtualization software within the bios, that helps the hardware in that specific machine to perform better and more efficiently. Yes, most if not all HP machines include this in their BIOS, although it does not mean you "have a server built in". Multiple virtualization software and operating systems have been designed to take advantage of that feature. Basically, a server is the same hardware as a normal PC, usually more powerful, but generally speaking the same. A "server" is the operating system that is being used by that hardware. To make your normal PC a server, you would need to either purchase Windows Server, or download and install a Linux distribution. I could turn the Windows 7 PC that I am currently on into a server, by changing the OS. The only guess I have is that the old HP computer that you had, was running a server OS, that could create VPS's. Most likely it was linux, because at that time, I'm not even sure Windows had something like that, and if they did, I'm sure it was quite expensive.

P.S.- I work with windows servers 5 days a week, and sometimes 6 when they decide to be a pain, and through my experience, they run quite well. The biggest factor on a Windows VPS would be the CPU and RAM. Windows tends to be more resource intensive.

Thanks for listening,
Gerrit

Quote:

CPU (number of CPU's, amount of cores, speed)
Bandwidth (speed of network, and bandwidth allowed)
Operating System (Windows uses a lot more than linux OS's.)

Location ?

Location could be a factor, although it just depends on the situation... With SAMP having players from all around the world, its hard to say if there is a better location for all players, although obviously the closer to your house, the better. Although, if its a state away, but running 100 mbps connections, and you can get one 2 states away running 1 gbps, then its obvious the choice.

Now that I have said that, another thing popped into my mind... Internet uplink speed. Just because a server is on a 100 mbps network, its uplink isn’t even close to it. Generally for residential areas, they are below 2 mbps. So if the server with 100 mbps network has a faster uplink than the 1 gbps, then obviously the 100 mbps would be better.

You just need to research and ask questions from the hosting provider before you make any uninformed decisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaveshnande
Посмотреть сообщение
LOL nice argument.
Well I have a VPS having 128MB RAM(getting more soon), unlimited bandwidth, 10GB HDD space, 2 core CPU and I can run my server perfectly fine on it. The more NPC's you add the more CPU power it uses. Generally a SAMP server uses about 10MB RAM for each player(or less).
I can even run a GNOME Desktop on it

This is its process manager, when the system is running a SAMP server with 4 NPC's. (CentOS + GNOME desktop)
So judging from the CPU usage in the ss you have provided, your server should be able to sustain 4 players and 4 NPC's on full CPU capacity (just wait until your host sees that).

Yeah, they arn't going to be pleased...lol

Try to run your server in trial time with a HOST and you will see the difference . VPS are fine if he is running some server , but you should think in future , you will be super lagger , and your server will auto-restart for the in-sufferent memory

It lags a lot some times, I won't recommend VPS for game server hosting now
BTW I got 256MB RAM now
htop showing CPU and RAM usage:

NPC's seriously use a lot of CPU.