Do you think server advertisments work?

It works at first. You can get around 5 to 10 people (Most likely they'll be people who want admin) the first day, and then the next day, they're all gone, except for some dedicated people/admins.

it depends on servers

1) Respect samp forums rule - 1 ad per month. If someone is searching a server he will not join it if he sees your server on each page in advertisement section.
2) Make that one ad look good, add information and pictures, perhaps even a video. You have whole month to work on it. Just don't make it too long.
3) If you really wonder if they work, here is wrong place to ask. Run a poll in your community asking "How did you find our server".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochemd
Посмотреть сообщение
They do work, yeah. I got a few people from SA-MP Forums here who are actually just good RPers and not ask for admin, but just play.
Same here, sometimes it does happends that peoples asks for etc refunds or administration rights, but we just tell how we do it, and most of them actually stay.
Its highly uncommon that we get hackers or rulebreakers into our server by the advertisements, tho i think Hosted tab might be used by hackers to test it out.

I stopped looking at the advertisements because every day there's loads of new servers especially RP servers and their mostly not online, and when they are, it's a downloaded gamemode *SIGH*.

Yea WTF? Where does all those Russian RP's come from??

Yes They work, even when my server was not hosted, my server was almost full

Depends on What the Ad is like

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Playa
Посмотреть сообщение
No for roleplay ads.

Want to know why?

1) Half of the server advertisements have no effort in them. The advertisement creator (a 4th grader who can barely spell) has horrible grammar and has NO effort in their advertisement whatsoever, which makes it a noob server.

2) When I join the server, it's just a GF, LARP, USRP, Raven's edit. I have no problem on playing one, but if it has the same old features with no fun stuff then I'll permanently leave your server.

3) Another thing that's sad is that many people use .tk, they make their free forums look cheap because they want to hide their domain to look professional, when the owner can't even invest a penny for a .com or something.

4) A common thing; Owners want to keep their players, so they spoil them by refunding (or giving away millions of dollars, a house, etc.) to find out their player stopped playing at your server last night.

5) RP servers are not really popular (excluding NGG, SARP, USRP, LSRP, vG, all those other popular RP servers). Players don't find your server interesting because it doesn't have what another server has, or the server has too many bugs, or it's a fresh GF, etc edit, nothing new added.

6) Many players just join a server (in the server advertisements) and ask for a lot of stuff (like admin powers for example). If the player is denied, they will feel left out and unwanted, and leave.

7) Many of the roleplay servers out there are dead 24/7. Some are not dead yet however, but they are going to die really soon.

I was part of a community once, and let me tell you - it was awesome. The server had 10+ players a day, and it wasn't even close to dying yet! In the beginning of April, the owner of the server had to quit SA:MP for real life commitments, so there was a new owner. Ever since the owner resigned, the server slowly began to die (it took a few weeks from there for the server to die). I was their scripter. Even though I did it for free, I enjoyed the server very very much. Too bad it's expired and dead now.

If you want a server, you should have a lot of features, and it's not going to hurt you to spend $10 for a domain. If you can't afford it, that's okay, you could live without it, but just DON'T use .tk, .co.cc, or any other domain extension that makes your domain paid for. Also, don't be refunding players because that's just stupid, and put some effort in your application! I know whether advertisements are copied or not, and you're supposed to make an Advertisement a month, but people want to boost their playercount by advertising their server 10+ times a month. And finally, if you want your server to be successful, I suggest you learn how to script and develop your own gamemode. If you want your server to be even MORE popular, host a unique TDM / DM / CnR server, but if it's going to be some gamemode from this forum, or it's just a "Call of Duty" gamemode, then I'm leaving. Players (especially me, I'm a rare and strict player) want uniqueness, so if you don't have any, other than changing some text strings around (and claiming it as your own) then they'll leave and hopefully find a better server.
Bravo, i have nothing to say here.

I'd say yes and no.

If it's detailed, has a few screenshots showing off features, AND the community coming together, then I'd probably pop onto the server to see what it's all about

"COME ON DIS SERVER NAOW!!!! FREEEE MONEY!!! COME NOW!!!"
Well, that's a different story

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Playa
Посмотреть сообщение
No for roleplay ads.

Want to know why?

Well, I might as well of just quoted this as my reply! Nice one Playa

They do "work" for me as in they seem to attract some new players, but also attract a wave of cheaters... so some time ago I decided to quit posting in that section (with exception to 1 advertisement recently to update web address on sacnr monitor server data). But in general yes, they do the job.

Well, it works sometimes, but I'd still suggest making advertisements without lying. Telling people that they'll get admin is just lame, as you need to know the player your making an admin (To prevent your server from being fucked up.), you need to be able to trust the person and also he needs to be active.

Just tell them what the good sides of your server is, for example, unique script, good mapping, awesome roleplay, good admins etc. Dont highlight the bad sides of your server, you dont even need to mention them.
If your patient enough, you might end up with actual roleplayers, instead of these powerhungry guys that come to your server just to become admin.

My tip to you is: Do not ever lie in an advertisement, dont mention the bad sides of the server, try to highlight the good sides, maybe scripting, mapping etc. Good luck.

Advertisements does actually give you a few players, not always, but sometimes if your patient enough, you might end up with a popular server.