Why Not To Use Server FFS

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangestergta
View Post
Ive had same problem so i just bought a dedicated server :>
any recommendations on where i can buy a dedi maby pm me ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshKilla
View Post
You're script is causing ServerFFS to do this.
That's not the point. The point was that this guys support person was saying that ServerFFS does not monitor CPU usage when it obviously does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Mad]robmob
View Post
any recommendations on where i can buy a dedi maby pm me ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BP13
View Post
That's not the point. The point was that this guys support person was saying that ServerFFS does not monitor CPU usage when it obviously does.
Yah its off topic but its not a bad way to avoid the problem entirely.

serverFFS has estimated a standard resource usage for all types of game servers they offer. When your server exceeds this limit for a period of time, your server will be restarted. I think they are the only SA:MP server host that does this, but think about it from another perspective.

Let's say server owner A has a server that frequently uses too much CPU. Server owner B decides to buy a server from serverFFS and owner B's server is installed onto the same server as owner A's server. Owner A's server starts hogging all the resources, and then owner B's server lags and starts dropping connections. Server owner B contacts support, only to be told that nothing can be done because server owner A is using up all the server's resources.

At the end of the day, it's either a script or SA:MP issue, and it really has nothing to do with serverFFS. serverFFS are just limiting resource usage to make it fair for everyone, which is perfect, and exactly how it should be done. Also note that they won't restart servers that peak at high CPU usage, they only do it if it uses that amount of CPU for a decent period of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklite
View Post
serverFFS has estimated a standard resource usage for all types of game servers they offer. When your server exceeds this limit for a period of time, your server will be restarted. I think they are the only SA:MP server host that does this, but think about it from another perspective.

Let's say server owner A has a server that frequently uses too much CPU. Server owner B decides to buy a server from serverFFS and owner B's server is installed onto the same server as owner A's server. Owner A's server starts hogging all the resources, and then owner B's server lags and starts dropping connections. Server owner B contacts support, only to be told that nothing can be done because server owner A is using up all the server's resources.

At the end of the day, it's either a script or SA:MP issue, and it really has nothing to do with serverFFS. serverFFS are just limiting resource usage to make it fair for everyone, which is perfect, and exactly how it should be done. Also note that they won't restart servers that peak at high CPU usage, they only do it if it uses that amount of CPU for a decent period of time.
So, explain this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayW
View Post
No, Partyserver has been having this issue for a while, which is also hosted by serverFFS. We just did an experiment on Partyserver. We ran a barebone script that came with the SA:MP 0.1 server package (sftdm) - and it nothing changed. Still massive CPU spikes. The cause could be any number of issues which we're investigating as we speak. Do NOT dismiss this as a poorly optimized game mode, as our tests have proven otherwise - so far. There is still testing to do though.

(I'm not speaking on Woet's behalf, I'm speaking as a server owner/beta team member trying to figure out what's causing the high CPU usage).
Maybe serverFFS need to re-calculate how much CPU should be available for each server. A friend who runs a server hosted on serverFFS has experienced this recently, I can't myself, say that I've ever had this problem as I optimize all my code as much as possible and never really had many players to experiment my code on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgon
View Post
So, explain this...

Maybe serverFFS need to re-calculate how much CPU should be available for each server. A friend who runs a server hosted on serverFFS has experienced this recently, I can't myself, say that I've ever had this problem as I optimize all my code as much as possible and never really had many players to experiment my code on.
If they recalculate the amount of CPU required, then they will also need to recalculate the prices, which will piss a lot of people off.

Or they could get better hardware, or fix their software, it's obviously their fault, not SA:MPs.

I'm still YET to replicate this issue on three different types of machines which are NOT hosted by serverFFS:
i7
i3
Core2Quad

Edit / Off: 1000 posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklite
View Post
It's been proven that the SA:MP server uses more CPU with a High Resolution Timer enabled (in the Linux Kernel). It's enabled by default in all kernels newer than 2.6.18, which serverFFS uses. Let's not forget that HRT's also make the kernel tickless, therefore increasing CPU usage even more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayW
View Post
No, Partyserver has been having this issue for a while, which is also hosted by serverFFS. We just did an experiment on Partyserver. We ran a barebone script that came with the SA:MP 0.1 server package (sftdm) - and it nothing changed. Still massive CPU spikes. The cause could be any number of issues which we're investigating as we speak. Do NOT dismiss this as a poorly optimized game mode, as our tests have proven otherwise - so far. There is still testing to do though.

(I'm not speaking on Woet's behalf, I'm speaking as a server owner/beta team member trying to figure out what's causing the high CPU usage).
I am glad somebody on the Beta Testing Team is also having these problems, Even i myself i used LVDM for a test nothing edited on it very optimized script ofcorse, And with 150 players online it was still CPU Usage spikes at 100%-120%, I am not sure if its serverFFS but could be a problem in latest updates in SA-MP or number of reasons and we don't got any plugins or fliterscripts on while we did this.

And LV-DM is made by the SA-MP team in 0.1 and was never edited as i believe, I don't see why it would CPU spike to 100-120% while 150 players on when Woet and others claim a optimized script should only use 1-5% at 300-400 players we even messed with the config rate settings lots and still was same problem CPU Usage 100-120%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakku
View Post
Not really.
Depends on the Country - Money Currency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ded
View Post
Or maybe ServerFFS is using unoptimized old hardware?
Yes, because dual Xeons are old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westie
View Post
Yes, because dual Xeons are old.
Well... Intel did start making Xeons in 1997!

its not our gamemode.