Little Suggestions for SA:MP 0.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rimeau
public OnVehicleRepair(vehicleid, driverid)

>> Pay'n'Spray
OnVehicleRespray?

Some ideas to chuck in..

Client:
Show "speaker" icon above talkers head.
Allow clients to mute players / all voices.
Show mutes in tab board (have a "mute" column, with a tick box symbolising if the player is muted or not)

New server variables:
clientmute 0/1 // Allow clients to mute, the server owner may deem the gamemode requires users to hear each other.
voice 0/1 // Global voice chat toggle.

New functions:
ToggleGlobalVoiceFading(bool:toggle); // Toggle between voice distance fading and no fading.
LimitGlobalVoiceRadius(Float: distance); // Allow a radius for chatting. The voices will fade into the specified distance (if fading is on).
SendVoiceToAll(); // Admin announcements in a server with radius chat. Maybe for mute overrides by script.
SendVoiceToPlayer(playerid, Float: volume); // Usable only in *Speak callbacks. Takes the current voice and sends it to the playerid.
ShowPlayerMutedPlayer(playerid, muteplayer); // Server control over the mutes showing in tab board.

New callbacks:
OnPlayerSpeak(playerid); // Called when the player speaks. Return 0 means no voice is sent unless SendVoiceToPlayer is used, return 1 means voice is sent to everyone.
OnPlayerTeamSpeak(playerid, teamid); // Called when the player speaks to team (like OnPlayerTeamPrivmsg etc). Returns same as above.
OnPlayerMutePlayer(playerid, muteid); // Could be useful for automated systems detecting if someone is just annoying using voice (e.g. x% of server mutes = kick).
OnPlayerUnMutePlayer(playerid, muteid); // ^^^

The advantage of voice that is actually integrated in the game, instead of an external program like Ventrilo, is that you can have 3D sound: you actually hear the sound coming from the location where the player is. I imagine this would be a nice feature for e.g. roleplay servers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trc_
The advantage of voice that is actually integrated in the game, instead of an external program like Ventrilo, is that you can have 3D sound: you actually hear the sound coming from the location where the player is. I imagine this would be a nice feature for e.g. roleplay servers.
Agreed, in-game integration would allow for more possibilities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlip
We don't need the servers to have huge lags just because 10 or 12 people wanted a voice chat.
What's to say 10 - 12 people using voice will lag? You shouldn't underestimate the power of a good programmer and today's powerful computers .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon
What's to say 10 - 12 people using voice will lag? You shouldn't underestimate the power of a good programmer and today's powerful computers .
and you shouldn't overestimate your (or other peoples') Internet connections

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoopaman
Quote:
and you shouldn't overestimate your (or other peoples') Internet connections
I didn't estimate other peoples internet connections at all. Karlip talked about server lag. A lot of servers could run voice pretty easily (although this statement does depend on how it's coded), because they have enough bandwidth and have enough processing power.

As for clients, they should be on broadband connections. People on connections worse than broadband (such as dialup) are possibly lagging already. FM quality audio is 96 kbit/s... telephones are generally 8 kbits/s (with speech codecs). The bitrates can vary alot depending on the audio codec used. The server could do the "3D" sound for the player (stream a calculated stream) or send the streams individually (multiple streams causing more bandwidth) so the client can decide about the 3D sound.

Anyways, another thing that could be argued is if RP servers really need to worry about a bit of extra lag (DM servers could disable it, if they worry that much about potential lag). From what I've seen RP servers tend to rely on the social aspect rather than the shooting (need for a lower ping) aspect.

A voice feature could be useful for multiple people, I don't see the point of arguing against it. If you could just turn it off (be given a "choice"), the only logical reason not to include it is simply if Kye can't be bothered coding a voice system.

Quote:
Some ideas to chuck in..

Client:
Allow clients to mute players / all voices.
Show mutes in tab board (have a "mute" column, with a tick box symbolising if the player is muted or not)

New server variables:
clientmute 0/1 // Allow clients to mute, the server owner may deem the gamemode requires users to hear each other.
voice 0/1 // Global voice chat toggle.

New functions:
ToggleGlobalVoiceFading(bool:toggle); // Toggle between voice distance fading and no fading.
LimitGlobalVoiceRadius(Float: distance); // Allow a radius for chatting. The voices will fade into the specified distance (if fading is on).
SendVoiceToAll(); // Admin announcements in a server with radius chat. Maybe for mute overrides by script.
SendVoiceToPlayer(playerid, Float: volume); // Usable only in *Speak callbacks. Takes the current voice and sends it to the playerid.
ShowPlayerMutedPlayer(playerid, muteplayer); // Server control over the mutes showing in tab board.

New callbacks:
OnPlayerSpeak(playerid); // Called when the player speaks. Return 0 means no voice is sent unless SendVoiceToPlayer is used, return 1 means voice is sent to everyone.
OnPlayerTeamSpeak(playerid, teamid); // Called when the player speaks to team (like OnPlayerTeamPrivmsg etc). Returns same as above.
OnPlayerMutePlayer(playerid, muteid); // Could be useful for automated systems detecting if someone is just annoying using voice (e.g. x% of server mutes = kick).
OnPlayerUnMutePlayer(playerid, muteid); // ^^^
Absolutely excellent ideas!

++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seif_
Quote:
Client:
Sucks if you're hiding and suddenly you whisper to your friend next to you and the icon pops and so people find you... Like in CSS
Yep, agreed with that. In games like DoD:S it's funny to see an icon appear above a hiding talking players head. You could have the speaker icon not appear when the player is not visible like the name tags do.

Good idea but I know its really annoying on X-Box Live when kids that haven't puberty start yelling and worst of all is singing, but I think that Vent is a better idea because a lot of people are more conferrable RP by text not talking IRL.

A good idea is create this function and only activate in the server by a function on pawno like AllowAdminTeleport(); (An example for this: AllowVoiceSpeak();), and make variables like Proximity Detector, it's nice for RP system and the players (noobs) don't abuse on any server...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seif_ [adream-rp.com
]
Pinned thread, does this mean it's being viewed by Kye?
This thread has been pinned to stop people posting suggestions all over the board.

Would it be possible to "reconnect" to a server without closing down SA-MP?

Hope theres a setting for weapon skills. btw lol wish there was like single player, where you can hold a smoke in your hand.

i think that kye should script a server it would beat all server's out there and i bet it would be like 500/500 players all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady91
i think that kye should script a server it would beat all server's out there and i bet it would be like 500/500 players all the time.
So make the mod and script a server, no thanks, I'm sure he has some resemblance of a life.

Besides, hes doing great at the moment, I don't think he'd have time to do both.

The idea of double clicking on a user's name to PM is nice but it shouldn't be limited to PMing. We should be able to script what double clicking will do.

pawn Code:
public OnDblClickUser(...)
{

return 1;
}
Agreed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazza!
Quote:
So make the mod and script a server, no thanks, I'm sure he has some resemblance of a life.

Besides, hes doing great at the moment, I don't think he'd have time to do both.
i no i was saying that he would make the best server ever!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wazza!
Quote:

i no i was saying that he would make the best server ever!
Ah, if he did, I'm sure he would, as he has the source to the entire mod

(Sorry for mistaking you the first time)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raet
The idea of double clicking on a user's name to PM is nice but it shouldn't be limited to PMing. We should be able to script what double clicking will do.

pawn Code:
{

return 1;
}
Agreed?
I'm 101% agree with this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreftas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raet

pawn Code:
{

return 1;
}
Agreed?
I'm 101% agree with this
I reckon we should be able to have a function like "OpenPlayerInputBox(playerid, string[]);"

What goes in the string part would be what automatically gets typed in, like /pm

pawn Code:
{
    OpenPlayerInputBox(playerid, "/pm");
return 1;
}
The box then opens and is started with /pm