Is it still worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcor
View Post
The first version of the steam version I checked was DRM'ed/encrypted.

The latest steam version I think is DRM free but would require updating all the addresses in sa-mp, a huge project. There's always the risk with auto-updating software that it gets instantly obsoleted.
In any case, any player can lower the Steam version to 1.0, and thus you can play SA-MP as I do.

(Here is my Steam profile if you do not believe it.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekillergreece
View Post
Mate... As much as I want to believe your "there's a chance I might listen", the community has been asking for a merge of the two versions since what? Jan 2018?
Which community? The 2000 servers on 0.3.7 or the 150 on 0.3DL?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CentiuS
View Post
but using patterns (signatures) will solve that problem, isn't it?
No. Samp is a multiplayer for a game with no existing multiplayer. It requires 100,000 code patches. The signatures would overlap/collide in some cases.

Quote:
View Post
0.3DL is broken. Just do it, Kye.
DL functions are best, but there are some bugs in it.
You need to fix it, merge with 0.3.7, give 2000 slots and release.
Go-go-go

Quote:
View Post
Virtually all the people here have been requesting that since 0.3.DL was introduced. Perhaps we are not the representatory sample of the whole community, but there is no other source of feedback you can have.

How many servers were there on 0.3x-RC, 0.3.7-RC etc.? I am going to repeat myself, but as long as 0.3.7 is the main version, server owners are not going to take the risk and switch, especially if they worry about player numbers. To me, 0.3.DL is still in development, i.e. not suitable for production. 150 servers for 0.3.DL is amazing when this is taken into consideration.

Quote:
View Post

No. Samp is a multiplayer for a game with no existing multiplayer. It requires 100,000 code patches. The signatures would overlap/collide in some cases.
Hi, Kalcor, as I see, you took the time to talk with us, so to speak, then let me ask you a question, please just answer how you got to know programming (C++) and how you studied it at the time of the 2000s?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romzes24
View Post
In any case, any player can lower the Steam version to 1.0, and thus you can play SA-MP as I do.
This mod never would have been that popular if we had to limit it to Steam.

I think I've seen Steam stats and concluded it wasn't worth supporting. Like, the numbers of concurrent GTA:SA users on Steam was only 10% of people playing SA-MP. I haven't checked it for a while though.

Quote:
View Post
by the way, arizona role play (the biggest russian servers platform) have plans to move 0.3.DL, but with code patches, coz 0.3.DL have some laggy problems, like objects destruct problem and many others. so, how about 0.3.DL client bugfixes and thanks for answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by keytruth
View Post
Hi, Kalcor, as I see, you took the time to talk with us, so to speak, then let me ask you a question, please just answer how you got to know programming (C++) and how you studied it at the time of the 2000s?
He meant the number of servers that are in 0.3.7 vs the 150 in 0.3.7DL.

I have few friend who left SAMP long time ago just because there isn't any updates for 0.3.7 or whatever. Yes, there is 0.3DL but that's not what most of the people want.

Quote:
View Post
Wouldn't it be better to start a poll what version players prefer and use that version for 0.3.9? That might give a clear hint.

If you don't wish to update DL version to 0.3.9 though, can you please confirm that for good, so we know what is your definite stance regarding this matter?

But if you wish to hear opinions of some 0.3.7 server owners, according to me, using 0.3.7 for possible 0.3.9 update doesn't bring any significant benefits, only troubles for players with updating their SA-MP clients.

Quote:
View Post

I think I've seen Steam stats and concluded it wasn't worth supporting. Like, the numbers of concurrent GTA:SA users on Steam was only 10% of people playing SA-MP. I haven't checked it for a while though.
I do not propose a complete transition, I just propose adding additional support for the Steam version. So that anyone can buy the game through Steam, without any problems install SA-MP on it and play. There is also a RGL version, where GTA_SA was generally handed out free of charge, what do you say to that?

Quote:
View Post

Well, if there are 10 times more people playing SA-MP than people playing GTA:SA on Steam, it's relatively quite good for SA-MP. Especially considering GTA:SA is a source of limited fun, while SA-MP is a source of limitless fun.

Repeating my last two questions, as I think they are worth answering: How many servers were there on 0.3.7-RC when 0.3z was still the official version? If no servers or less than 150, then 150 is quite a nice number for DL.

And considering SendClientCheck, it is significantly more usable on DL, so merging the versions would give the majority of server owners additional means to combat cheaters. Why not consider this a valid reason for the merge (or at least to backport non-downloading DL features to 0.3.7)?

Quote:
View Post
Parts of the existing 0.3.8 code that aren't related to model downloading will make their way in to 0.3.7 updates. Eventually the downloading feature will be part of a main SA-MP release, but the 0.3.8 version will be skipped.

Quote:
View Post
I think the reason why it's me doing this mod is because I had a Z80 learner board (Micro-professor) when I was 8 years old. I used to punch programs in to this machine in hex. Lots of programmers know C/C++, but very few are comfortable with assembly language. Because we don't have source code for the game, assembly is more important than C++.

But to answer the question, I had an atari 2600, Z80 board, C64, various arcade machines at home from an early age. C64 BASIC lead to quickbasic on DOS and Visual Basic on Windows. I ran #vb help channel on DALNet IRC from 1999 to 2002 and was on the #asm channel. Then I started to learn C around 2002 and only learned C++ for this project. The C++ I write is usually fairly close to C.

This project is all about x86 assembly. The C++ is just fluff.

Can you just give answers the questions about 0.3.9, 0.3.7 and 0.3dl?
10-20 devs asking you.
We're waiting this for the last 14 hours

Quote:
View Post
I think the reason why it's me doing this mod is because I had a Z80 learner board (Micro-professor) when I was 8 years old. I used to punch programs in to this machine in hex. Lots of programmers know C/C++, but very few are comfortable with assembly language. Because we don't have source code for the game, assembly is more important than C++.

But to answer the question, I had an atari 2600, Z80 board, C64, various arcade machines at home from an early age. C64 BASIC lead to quickbasic on DOS and Visual Basic on Windows. I ran #vb help channel on DALNet IRC from 1999 to 2002 and was on the #asm channel. Then I started to learn C around 2002 and only learned C++ for this project. The C++ I write is usually fairly close to C.

Maybe I'm bored with questions, but I'm sorry. Was it difficult to create your own multiplayer for GTA in 2002-2003?
Can I find out about your current projects that you are currently working on? I would be interested to know what projects you are working on))

(Sorry for the bad English)

Quote:
View Post

Are you still interested in computers and programming at all? Or you switched to real life? It just seems like you haven't been programming anything for years, but I can't be sure, we can't see your activity outside this forum. Saying "I am not interested in dev anymore" would make everything clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romzes24
View Post
I do not propose a complete transition, I just propose adding additional support for the Steam version. So that anyone can buy the game through Steam, without any problems install SA-MP on it and play. There is also a RGL version, where GTA_SA was generally handed out free of charge, what do you say to that?
It was only free for a limited time. Maybe it's worth supporting. Auto-updaters are risky. Are you meant to spend a month of your life finding addresses, and then have it wiped in 2 seconds by an auto-update?

I probably would never have attempted this mod without a fixed version. I still have the US and EU exes to test each time I write a patch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllidanS4
View Post
Repeating my last two questions, as I think they are worth answering: How many servers were there on 0.3.7-RC when 0.3z was still the official version? If no servers or less than 150, then 150 is quite a nice number for DL.
I don't think that's the way to measure it, but you might be right that 150 servers is good considering. I have no way to know. LS-RP initially gained players on DL then the lost players. But what part was due to management issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anayks
View Post
Can you just give answers the questions about 0.3.9, 0.3.7 and 0.3dl?
10-20 devs asking you.
We're waiting this for the last 14 hours
I'm asking server owners. It seems like they don't want 0.3.9 if it's just about fending off a few cheaters for the holiday period.

Quote:
View Post
Maybe I'm bored with questions, but I'm sorry. Was it difficult to create your own multiplayer for GTA in 2002-2003?
Can I find out about your current projects that you are currently working on? I would be interested to know what projects you are working on))
I did answer all these questions in interviews. It wasn't me who started GTA multiplayer mods. It was IJs. But I took it from being extremely clunky to almost respectable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalen
View Post
Are you still interested in computers and programming at all? Or you switched to real life? It just seems like you haven't been programming anything for years, but I can't be sure, we can't see your activity outside this forum. Saying "I am not interested in dev anymore" would make everything clear.
I still work on different things, yeah. I've spent more time with other games over the past 10 years and that has fed back in to sa-mp.

Quote:
View Post
I'm asking server owners. It seems like they don't want 0.3.9 if it's just about fending off a few cheaters for the holiday period.
Everyone wants 0.3 DL to become the main version with a bunch of corrections and improvements. If this does not happen, it is clear that in 0.3.9 there is no point. Why do we need 2 versions of the multiplayer that divide the community into 2 different groups? We do not even have the opportunity to install these 2 versions at the same time, we must choose between them or we need to constantly reinstall SA-MP

Quote:
View Post
Server owners - Albert1995 (Arizona RP), who was ignored by you
Mirrorka (Stage RP)
And other guys in conference, who spectating this thread (Diamond RP, Radmir RP)
All of this guys want (25k of 35k online) just want minor fixes and merge 0.3.7 and 0.3dl to 0.3.9

Don't waste the time and just give answer the questions, please.
We're waiting this all day.

I never asked if anyone wanted DL. I said DL wasn't ready for release.

I asked if server owners want 0.3.7 updated to 0.3.9 with updated addresses and packet IDs.