Programming and Scripting help

Hey guys. The name is Uuri_Lexington. I'm currently a level 4 administrator on Lorenc's San Fierro Cops N Robbers server as well as the Director of Administration (level 5) on his COD for samp server. I'm pretty much new here. But anyway, I've always been into coding and scripting ever since I started modeling in blender a few years ago and Lorenc has inspired me to try to learn more. Blender would have you use python to script animation sequences and much more. I love how rewarding it is when you finish a code and it gives you the exact results you want besides bugs. But I have a problem, it's SO HARD too stay motivated when coding and scripting. I feel I rush myself and don't retain the information I read or watch. I have read full PDF's on C++ and in general I know about classes, functions, enumerations, etc etc. But I just can't seem to stay motivated because when I try to do a project of my own, say like, coding something more difficult with the information I learn, I quit. So, here are my questions and sorry for the long explanation.

How do I stay motivated when creating my own projects?

Where do I go when I've learned the basics? (Classes, enums, functions, variables, defines, pointers, structs, etc)

Thanks for your time.

Hmm, i think that if you wanna stay motivated you should make a project that really attracts you to it, if it doesnt you wont keep developing on it and you will quit

How to stay motivated
1. Clear you mind.
2. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj73hUrwM1s&list=PL21A7A915E7020E73&index= 36]Click and listen for pure awesome motivational music.[/ame]
3. ?
4. Profit!!

I know what your problem is, simply put you have not set any long term goals you relish in the moment by taking one small step at a time which is fine but you need to have some kind of collaboration between different things you are doing towards a grand scheme which is the accumulation of all experience and knowledge.

My recommendation would be to set yourself a development timeline towards your own public server or at the very least join the team of an established server. There is a lot involved in developing your own server but for me I've been extremely successful at building SAMP servers what keeps me motivated is when I don't want to work anymore I can actually play my work which keeps my passion alive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uuri
Посмотреть сообщение
Hey guys. The name is Uuri_Lexington. I'm currently a level 4 administrator on Lorenc's San Fierro Cops N Robbers server as well as the Director of Administration (level 5) on his COD for samp server. I'm pretty much new here. But anyway, I've always been into coding and scripting ever since I started modeling in blender a few years ago and Lorenc has inspired me to try to learn more. Blender would have you use python to script animation sequences and much more. I love how rewarding it is when you finish a code and it gives you the exact results you want besides bugs. But I have a problem, it's SO HARD too stay motivated when coding and scripting. I feel I rush myself and don't retain the information I read or watch. I have read full PDF's on C++ and in general I know about classes, functions, enumerations, etc etc. But I just can't seem to stay motivated because when I try to do a project of my own, say like, coding something more difficult with the information I learn, I quit. So, here are my questions and sorry for the long explanation.

How do I stay motivated when creating my own projects?

Where do I go when I've learned the basics? (Classes, enums, functions, variables, defines, pointers, structs, etc)

Thanks for your time.
Welcome to the forums! Staying motivated is a big problem I face as well, even though I would say I have a pretty damn good grasp on multiple programming languages. Finding an outlet that you enjoy REALLY helps though. SA-MP was mine (Started with creating gamemodes in PAWN, and eventually moved to writing plugins in C++). Right now I am working on Java apps, and for a solid month I had no real motivation either. I would write little small testing apps after reading, but nothing really got me excited like SA-MP did. I believe this is because what personally excites me as a programmer, is other people finding my creations useful, fun, or cool. To me, that is the most rewarding feeling you can get. I had a real life problem that has been affecting me for a while, and It recently sparked up a somewhat unique app idea that would solve my issue, and maybe even other people's as well! That has given me a lot of motivation; its all about finding something you enjoy, or coming across something unique or creative to motivate you.

What language are you shooting for? C++? Once you get the basics, just mess around in a fun environment. It all depends on what suites you. If you are looking to develop applications, check out the Qt library. That is, in my opinion, the best frame work for application development (Really clean, simple, well documented, and enjoyable). If you are looking to develop your OWN games, I would give SDL or SFML a shot (personally, I've only used the first, and its not bad for 2D stuff at all). Of course, I would also recommend plugin development (I have a guide i made in my description, but it's not for the faint of heart lol).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBored
Посмотреть сообщение
Hmm, i think that if you wanna stay motivated you should make a project that really attracts you to it, if it doesnt you wont keep developing on it and you will quit
Uuri this is the only way to get motivated.i am also from sf-cnr lol but i won't reveal my name you won't believe who i am.

What motivates me to script? I turn up the gangsta' music and then I begin the keyboard session!

However, people lose motivation within huge projects in short time, especially if they're working on it by themselves. My motivation for scripting is planning to release it - so other people can make use of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by [uL]Pottus
Посмотреть сообщение
I know what your problem is, simply put you have not set any long term goals you relish in the moment by taking one small step at a time which is fine but you need to have some kind of collaboration between different things you are doing towards a grand scheme which is the accumulation of all experience and knowledge.

My recommendation would be to set yourself a development timeline towards your own public server or at the very least join the team of an established server. There is a lot involved in developing your own server but for me I've been extremely successful at building SAMP servers what keeps me motivated is when I don't want to work anymore I can actually play my work which keeps my passion alive.
You answer really is quite interesting, as well as Kyosaur's. It also described me the most. I usually learn something, say like arrays, program a simple program with them, then move on. I haven't set any goals either, but, if you're willing to help further on my problem, here are some goals I'd like to meet:

Learn MySQL for database handling, I read that it's the best to use.

Learn C++ (I've read so much about it and know the language, just the motivation problem)

Learn PAWN and script a successful server (You don't know how happy I was when I hit that connect to server button after scripting a simple script that gives armor and it worked xD)

I know this is alot but I'm a really diverse guy. I like to learn lots of things.

Edit: I read your post too Emmet and its interesting as well. But I don't have anybody to work with and learn with...

There's a difference between reading and actually doing something.

You can't learn something without doing it at least a few times, otherwise you will have forgotten how to do it the next time you need it.

Programming in my opinion is a way of thinking, eventually you get it and you'll be able to learn new languages relatively easy, but first you'll have to learn and understand the basics of pretty much any programming language, (imho) control structures.

As there are so many programming languages and each language has been made for a specific purpose (or lack there of), you have to grab a field and focus on that. You'll be able to broaden your skills later, but it's much easier if you have something that gets you excited, that being electronics, robotics or games it doesn't matter, whatever interests you just learn more about it.

Now you have a specific field of interest and know the basics of programming, research your field and find languages that are commonly used. The part after I can't help you with, you should be able to motivate yourself because this is a field that interests you. It can be hard to dream up stuff you can make, but there are a lot of things already made, I suggest you look something up that you find interesting and try to replicate it. You can (if available) use the source code as help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by playbox12
Посмотреть сообщение
There's a difference between reading and actually doing something.

You can't learn something without doing it at least a few times, otherwise you will have forgotten how to do it the next time you need it.

Programming in my opinion is a way of thinking, eventually you get it and you'll be able to learn new languages relatively easy, but first you'll have to learn and understand the basics of pretty much any programming language, (imho) control structures.

As there are so many programming languages and each language has been made for a specific purpose (or lack there of), you have to grab a field and focus on that. You'll be able to broaden your skills later, but it's much easier if you have something that gets you excited, that being electronics, robotics or games it doesn't matter, whatever interests you just learn more about it.

Now you have a specific field of interest and know the basics of programming, research your field and find languages that are commonly used. The part after I can't help you with, you should be able to motivate yourself because this is a field that interests you. It can be hard to dream up stuff you can make, but there are a lot of things already made, I suggest you look something up that you find interesting and try to replicate it. You can (if available) use the source code as help.
I'm interested in game programming which is why I started PAWN. I also started C++ a couple years ago for the same purpose but I didn't make anything original.

So if you wanna make a game, do it learn to use a graphic engine i dont know maybe Unity 3D, or Source as you want; but get an idea and do it if you like it you 'ill see that you will keep working on it if you dont you will get bored and you will quit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBored
Посмотреть сообщение
So if you wanna make a game, do it learn to use a graphic engine i dont know maybe Unity 3D, or Source as you want; but get an idea and do it if you like it you 'ill see that you will keep working on it if you dont you will get bored and you will quit.
Yea I already have Unity on my computer but I'm starting with PAWN since its fun and I'll really get lots of experience. I'll probably move on to making 2D games after I feel comfortable with coding C and/or C++.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uuri
Посмотреть сообщение
I'm interested in game programming which is why I started PAWN. I also started C++ a couple years ago for the same purpose but I didn't make anything original.
If you want to learn more about OpenGL and C++ I suggest you try out a series of tutorials at http://swiftless.com

You should start with the Open GL 1.0/2.0 tutorials, they are outdated but they teach you very important fundamentals. OpenGL 1.0 to 2.0 use fixed function pipeline which means you don't have to worry about shaders or writing your matrices. If you jump straight into OpenGL 3.0 (or 4.0 which are almost the same) you'll see that you have to pretty much write your own engine before you can do anything (which though, is fully explained in the tutorials).

Quote:
Originally Posted by playbox12
Посмотреть сообщение
If you want to learn more about OpenGL and C++ I suggest you try out a series of tutorials at http://swiftless.com

You should start with the Open GL 1.0/2.0 tutorials, they are outdated but they teach you very important fundamentals. OpenGL 1.0 to 2.0 use fixed function pipeline which means you don't have to worry about shaders or writing your matrices. If you jump straight into OpenGL 3.0 (or 4.0 which are almost the same) you'll see that you have to pretty much write your own engine before you can do anything (which though, is fully explained in the tutorials).
I attempted OpenGL a while ago but didn't get really deep into it. I'll try these tutorials, thanks!

Even sometimes i will be distracted with the Games, preventing me from scripting my DM GM. So, i've been making a slow progress D: