Is it still worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcor
View Post
It's too late to add unicode.

There's code to do codepage conversion in the client, but I decided its better to see foreign text like модпак so you don't attempt to read it.

It's an internal joke, like I learned russian by playing samp моабабр комоманды длдлдл

(you can't learn russian playing samp)
oh now you will get more russian people involved to this thread....

Quote:
View Post
I keep thinking the reason there are so many players still on 0.3e is because the IME doesn't work properly on other versions.
No, the reason is someone made repack of GTA SA with SA-MP 0.3e and published it on one of the most popular russian torrent tracker. ATM this torrent has about 3000 seeders and 200 peers. I can provide link but I'm not sure it's legal
People just download it and they don't care is it the last version of multiplayer or not

How about removing the limit of created textdraws and playertextdraws (instead just keeping the limits of "shown" textdraws) ?
Also, I would really like a system where we could use {colors} in textdraws.

i have one question for version naming.

Why samp is 0.3.9?

#define GAME_VERSION_MAJOR (0)
#define GAME_VERSION_NINOR (3)
#define GAME_VERSION_PATCH (9)

is it all because of the patched client/server versioning!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janichar35
View Post
Just don't touch 0.3DL please, year is 2019 I am not even thinking about playing with same old skins which are left from 2004 lol so yeah arrival of 0.3.9 doesn't matter for me since it won't include 0.3DL features, moreover I'd leave SA-MP if its gone. I don't think plan of creating 0.3.9 and uniting everyone under it will work, what you got as a change ? Maybe one or two minor things, not big like custom skins and stuff I don't think it matters to have 0.3.9 if there will be just few minor updates.

I'd like to see Custom Models&Skins being in 0.3.9, if people don't want to play with custom skins they can join other servers which don't use them. I'd like to see custom weapons, custom cars and stuff.
Yeah..
For me, the best version is DL.

Well, samp is a pretty old mod. There's a struggle between finding a new path forward with custom content and keeping it as it was during its prime.

There are plenty of online games I wish never changed, so I could go back and play them as they were. Some people left TF2 after hats and crafting were added.

But that depends on how servers would use the custom content. It might not neccessarily change the SA-MP as whole, but simply enhance it a bit. I can tell that players were eager for that controllable yacht or even for that beta skin of LVPD bike patrol officer, which I recently introduced on my servers. These are simply features that make the game enjoyable no matter how old it is. Because even new games can't bring so much of features or possibilities that SA-MP has.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DartfoL
View Post
No, the reason is someone made repack of GTA SA with SA-MP 0.3e and published it on one of the most popular russian torrent tracker. ATM this torrent has about 3000 seeders and 200 peers. I can provide link but I'm not sure it's legal
People just download it and they don't care is it the last version of multiplayer or not
I'll just take your word for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niCe
View Post
But that depends on how servers would use the custom content. It might not neccessarily change the SA-MP as whole, but simply enhance it a bit. I can tell that players were eager for that controllable yacht or even for that beta skin of LVPD bike patrol officer, which I recently introduced on my servers. These are simply features that make the game enjoyable no matter how old it is. Because even new games can't bring so much of features or possibilities that SA-MP has.
The servers will do it, if for no other reason than to compete with other servers. Then players won't really have a choice.

But players mostly want the DL feature too. What about reducing the amount of objects and skins server can use for download? Let's say 100 skins and 100 object models? Or limit it by overall size (10 MB?). I recognize you are unsure whether downloading wouldn't annoy players, but if downloading would take less than minute, I guess players wouldn't have any reason to dislike it.

If HTTP download could be somehow set by default in the server package (or enabled HTTP downloads only), I assume downloading 10 MB of models and skins would take even less than 15 seconds for most players.

Quote:
View Post
But players mostly want the DL feature too. What about reducing the amount of objects and skins server can use for download? Let's say 100 skins and 100 object models? Or limit it by overall size (10 MB?). I recognize you are unsure whether downloading wouldn't annoy players, but if downloading would take less than minute, I guess players wouldn't have any reason to dislike it.
The idea sounds cool, I support.

100mb on the whole server would be enough.

Sorry guys. My intuition is telling me to reverse course on the whole model downloading thing.

If it actually improved the player count on servers, I would have given it more of a chance. If the player count is going to decline anyway, it's best to leave the mod in a preserved state.

Quote:
View Post
I do not agree with you, this is too strong a limitation. Players want a choice, and server developers can give them that. In Russia, the trend for modpacks is now very popular, where every second releases a collection of changes that 90% spoil the picture of the game.

I am extremely negative about the modifications of players in relation to the game, because I believe that the game should look the same for everyone so that there is a general view of what they see on the screen. I also think that the game should look like it was designed by the server developer. 03DL allowed me to prohibit players from replacing their skins, and thanks to this, each player looks the same to other players. By the way, I use about 700 different skins and they are all small in GTA SA style.

Currently 223 players from our community voted that they would like downloadable content in SA-MP and only 9 voted no. Yes, it is only small part of the whole SA-MP community, but it can give you a hint. I think, based on this feedback, the most players would indeed love this feature and it might even increase the total player counts.

I think LS-RP and RC-RP lost most of the players, because the 0.3.DL is not known, and that they didn't lose players because they have downloadable objects. Servers who run for example 0.3x version lost players as well, and 0.3x is supported pretty much equaly like 0.3.DL - there are no download links on main SA-MP page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoast1337
View Post
I do not agree with you, this is too strong a limitation.
But it's better than nothing, isn't it? I feel this is reasonable compromise.

Personally, biggest problem for me was that 0.3DL was not official version of SA-MP. Something that's not official by the main developer can not be taken serious. Releasing it on forums under 0.3DL section is not secure because people are questioning what if it's bugged or all of my work will have no sense if something goes wrong. 0.3DL is floating around and that's it's main problem. And it's upon you Kalcor to release it as official if you want this mod keep going because with custom options it's infinite in ideas and game settings.

Also I have done some big work on it (it doesn't mean people are not working on it if there is no topics in 0.3DL section)

My hometown neighbourhood

60s mafia style project

GTA map edits

Custom txds

I have so much other stuff too.

The DL client was only recently removed from the download page. It was up for 6-8 months and servers showed no improvement.

Quote:
View Post

If HTTP download could be somehow set by default in the server package (or enabled HTTP downloads only), I assume downloading 10 MB of models and skins would take even less than 15 seconds for most players.
Need a limit on the number of objects and skins. And the file size limit is 500kb.

Quote:
View Post
The DL client was only recently removed from the download page. It was up for 6-8 months and servers showed no improvement.
All the big servers use RackNet. The DL has other addresses.

Quote:
View Post
Then probably there is the second side of the coin, and that is not many servers moved to 0.3.DL, as it wasn't still official version. Like with previous updates, no large servers (who weren't operated by beta team members) moved to RC version until the final version was released.

It is my subjective opinion, but it really looks like majority of server owners and players support DL and would appreciate if it was released. And with such a support, I think it is highly unlikely DL feature would cause decrease of player base. My best guess is it would bring a lot of players back and definitely slow down the player base decrease, if not increasing it for next few years.

Quote:
View Post
Sorry guys. My intuition is telling me to reverse course on the whole model downloading thing.

If it actually improved the player count on servers, I would have given it more of a chance. If the player count is going to decline anyway, it's best to leave the mod in a preserved state.
That is a faulty deduction. For the 100th time, DL cannot improve the player count on servers because it is not present on sa-mp.com for download, it is not listed as the official version, and it is in testing period. And since it was accompanied by unpopular decisions since its inception, less and less people are interested in developing for it precisely because they are unsure about its future. And now you are just confirming their concerns.

It's not model downloading that has made DL "unpopular". It's the decisions that have accompanied it.

Quote:
View Post
Only a few noticed, since it was so long after the launch of DL.

Quote:
View Post
As has been repeatedly reported - the server was waiting for you to fully release the version. What you removed from the download list only aggravated the online situation on this version, which is logical. Please note that now a lot has changed since when the players went to different servers and chose where to play. Now the player comes to play on a specific server consciously, learning about it from the commercial.