[Include] [MySQL R41-2] vlang - Create Messages for Multiple Languages

vlang
Build 2 - Beta Release - Last Update: 11/6/2020

Sometimes I wanted to translate my game script in multiple languages and for all the features I have, not for client messages, game texts or dialogues only but for other features, too.

I didn't really try to search for one because I had some ideas and I wanted to apply them nonetheless, so, anyway, I thought to share it with you guys and see what you think about it too.

Additional Requirements Information

Code:
    +---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+

File information
    ----------------

vlang - Create & Manage server langauge(s) and server messages
    Build 2 - Beta (11/6/2020)

Author: H2O
    Licensed under GNU GPLv3

© 2018-2020 H2O Multiplayer. All rights reserved.

Table Structure
    ---------------

The following tables has to exist in your database for vlang to work.
    If ever asked to provide a MySQL handle, use your gamemode's.

* Languages
        + ID ( Language ID - Primary key - Auto increment - INT(11) )
        + LanguageName ( The name of created language - Unique key - TINYTEXT(25) )
        + LanguageId ( The language ID that this message is created for - INT(11) )
        + Identifier ( The identifier used to search for the message, short description - VARCHAR(255) )
        + Message ( The actual long message we want to send :) - VARCHAR(1024) )

* is table, + is column

Dependencies
    ------------

* a_mysql - The MySQL Plugin (Recommended version: R41-2) - Originally made by BlueG and maintained later by maddinat0r
    * y_hooks - included in the YSI library [Useful for hooking functions/callbacks/natives] - Original Author: ******
    * y_va - also included in the YSI library [We use this to format our messages using arguments] - Original Author: ******
    * GVar - Made by Incognito - We will use this instead of using array to return data directly.
    * a_samp - Made by the SA-MP team

Remarks
    -------

* You need to define 'FILTERSCRIPT' in case this script is to be used in a filterscript and not a gamemode.
    * This include uses threaded MySQL queries, which do not run in the server's main thread.
    * As a result of the above remark, the following precautions should be considered:
        - Language creation and message loading isn't instant and depends on how fast the query is excuted.
        - Rest of code already processes without pausing till the query is executed.
        - That means you can't return a message straight after loading/creating it.
    * Language has to be created first before returning any message coming from it.
    * All the messages for a specific language get automatically loaded once the language itself is loaded.
    * Do not use vL_CreateMessage if the messages for specific language already exist, they will get loaded automatically.

Configuration
    -------------

* MAX_VLANGS - The system will be told to stop creating languages after it meets this value
    * MAX_VMESSAGES - The system will stop creating messages ahead of this value
    * (define before including) VLANG_PLAYER_FUNCS - Only if you wish to use the per-player language functions
    * (define before including) VLANG_ALIAS - Only if you wish to use function aliases (look down for info)

Errors
    ------

#define VL_ERROR_INVALID_HANDLE         (-2) // If the MySQL connection isn't valid
    #define VL_ERROR_OUT_OF_LIMIT           (-3) // If you exceeded the configuration limits
    #define VL_ERROR_UNABLE_TO_PROCEED      (-4) // If the function failed for some reason to do what is expected
    #define VL_ERROR_DUPLICATE              (-5) // If you try to create a message that ALREADY exists

The include's debug messages can be useful to troubleshoot issues, not to mention you can create yours!

Aliases
    -------

Following aliases can be used if enabled in configuration:
    #define AddLanguage                 vL_CreateLanguage
    #define AddMessage                  vL_CreateMessage
    #define GetLanguagePrefixByName     vL_GetLanguage
    #define GetMessage                  vL_ReturnMessage

Installation
    ------------

1. Download and prepare all the dependencies
    2. Create all the tables in the table structure above
    3. Make sure your gamemode or filterscript have a MySQL connection handle
    4. Configure the include to fit your needs
    5. Populate your database with languages/messages data.
    6. Add your language and the messages should be loaded already.
    7. Use your message identifier and language name to simply return the message!

Functions
    ---------

Some functions are designed for internal usage, below are list of usable functions:

- General Functions
         - vL_GetLanguage(const LangName[25])
            Returns: Language Id if the language name exists - or otherwise returns 0

- vL_CreateLanguage(MySQL: Handle, const LangName[25])
            Parameters:
                - Handle: Your MySQL handle
                - LangName: Language name to create or load
            Returns:
                - An error value if something happened, check errors ^
                - 1 if there was no error
            Notes:
                - Any messages found in the database will AUTOMATICALLY get loaded!

- vL_ReturnMessage(const LangName[25], const Identifier[255], va_args<>)
            Parameters:
                - LangName: The language (that should be existent) to return messages for
                - Identifier: The unique identifier for this message
                - (optional) va_args: Any arguments needed for your message (specifier args)
            Returns:
                - A null string if language is invalid, or the actual message if succesful (or identifier if message didn't exist!)

- (if defined) Per player language functions
        - SetPlayerLanguage(playerid, const LangName[25])
            Description: Set a player's language (if exists ONLY) to the specified LangName value

- GetPlayerLanguage(playerid)
            Description: Returns the player's language name that was assigned to them beforehand (null by default)

Example Usage

- Add on initialization
        vL_CreateLanguage(Database, "English");
        vL_CreateLanguage(Database, "Spanish");

- Add somewhere else
        vL_CreateMessage(Database, "English", "COMMON_IDENT", "Testing...");
    	vL_CreateMessage(Database, "Spanish", "COMMON_IDENT", "Pruebas...");

- Display somewhere else
        print(vL_ReturnMessage("English", "COMMON_IDENT"));
    	print(vL_ReturnMessage("Spanish", "COMMON_IDENT"));

- Expected output
        Both messages should be displayed in the two languages

It's worth to mention that if you create the messages once, they are stored in the database.
    That means you don't need to keep creating them every time, even if it won't hurt!

+---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Repository (GitHub)

Before giving the link, please keep the credits and contribute if you can. Share your opinion in replies below, too.
I thank anyone that I used their work to create this include (MySQL plugin maintainers, YSI maintainers, Incognito for GVar and SA-MP team).

You can find it here https://github.com/h2o-variable/samp...udes/vlang.inc

Thanks!

Looks great my brother - expect nothing less.

Phenomenal and well done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable™
View Post
vlang
Initial Release - Last Update: 9/6/2020

Sometimes I wanted to translate my game script in multiple languages and for all the features I have, not for client messages, game texts or dialogues only but for other features, too.

I didn't really try to search for one because I had some ideas and I wanted to apply them nonetheless, so, anyway, I thought to share it with you guys and see what you think about it too.

Additional Requirements Settings

It's pretty much plug and play, just create a MySQL database using the following table structure:
Code:
    Table Structure
        - database
            * Languages
                + ID ( Language ID - Primary key - Auto increment - INT(11) )
                + LanguageName ( The name of created language - Unique key - TINYTEXT(25) )
                + LanguageId ( The language ID that this message is created for - INT(11) )
                + Identifier ( The identifier used to search for the message, short description - VARCHAR(255) )
                + Message ( The actual long message we want to send :) - VARCHAR(1024) )
Created the tables 'Languages' and 'Messages'? You can now configure the include a bit more:
Code:
    Configuration
        If you want to enable per player language functions - define PVLANG before including this.
        You can define MAX_VLANGS and MAX_VMESSAGES as you like, by default they're 100 and 1024 if you don't manually define them before including this.
Functions
Code:
Functions

- vL_CreateLanguage(MySQL: vLangDB, const LangName[25])
        Description: Create a new language - or load it if already exists
        Parameters:
            vLangDB - Your gamemode's handle for MySQL connection
            LangName - Your langauge name
        Returns:
            -2 if the MySQL handle is invalid
            0 if the number of languages created exceeded the limitation
            1 if else

- vL_CreateMessage(MySQL: vLangDB, const LangName[25], const Identifier[255], const Message[1024])
        Description: Create a new message for the specified language, or load it if already exists
        Parameters:
            vLangDB - The MySQL handle
            LangName - The Language name to create this message for
            Identifier - The common definition for this message to be used when returning a message
            Message - The long text behind this identifier
        Returns:
            -2 if the MySQL handle is invalid
            -1 if the language ID was not found based on the specified LangName
            1 if else

- vL_LoadMessages(MySQL: vLangDB, const LangName[25])
        Description: Load all messages found in database for the specified language
        Parameters:
            vLangDB - The MySQL connection handle
            LangName - The language name to load all existing messages for
        Returns:
            -2 if MySQL handle is invalid
            1 if else

- vL_ReturnMessage(const LangName[25], const Identifier[255], va_args<>)
        Description: Return a message
        Parameters:
            LangName - The language to look for the message in
            Identifier - The identifier of the message
            va_args - If the message has specifiers, add their values here
        Returns:
            The message - null if it fails to find it for any reason

PVLANG FUNCTIONS:

- SetPlayerLanguage(playerid, const LangName[25])
        Description: Set the language for said player ID, doesn't need to exist at all

- GetPlayerLanguage(playerid)
        Description: Returns the language name of this player ID

INTERNAL:

- vL_LoadMessage(MySQL: vLangDB, const LangId, const Identifier[255])
        Description: This function is only used internally to load a message created with vL_CreateMessage
Usage

Just read the functions above, you have to create a language first, after your server is connected to MySQL, use your own MySQL handle for the functions above.

You can either manually create languages and messages from the database, if you know what you're doing, that way you don't need the 'vL_CreateMessage' function but simply use 'vL_LoadMessages' for the language you want. If you want the server to do this you need to use 'vL_CreateMessage' after you create the language, and then you can simply use 'vL_ReturnMessage' to return the message.

Example:
Code:
    vL_CreateLanguage(Database, "English");
    vL_CreateMessage(Database, "English", "TEST_IDENT", "Let's count %d %d .. %d!");
    print(vL_ReturnMessage("English", "TEST_IDENT", 1, 2, 10));
Output (if the MySQL handle is valid):
Code:
Let's count 1 2 .. 10!
Repository (GitHub)

Before giving the link, please keep the credits and contribute if you can. Share your opinion in replies below, too.
I thank anyone that I used their work to create this include (MySQL plugin maintainers, YSI maintainers and SA-MP team).

You can find it here https://github.com/h2o-variable/samp...udes/vlang.inc

Thanks!
Why use MySQL for storing messages?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eoussama
View Post
Why use MySQL for storing messages?
Why wouldn't you use MySQL to store messages? Messages are, as user stats, also data. Messages can change, new languages can be added.

It allows for dynamic storing and modification - and this is also common outside of sa-mp.

You can stay fairly organized - if your argument is that it's "too static" you can easily just dump everything in on runtime, and keep it in memory, but still have the organizing using tables.

Thanks for all your opinions!

Build 2 - Beta Release
Code:
- Revamped the code
- Lesser use of strcmp now (not used to return messages anymore)
- Using gvar to facilitate the process of handling languages and messages
- Fixed various bugs
- Better documentation
- Threaded queries now
- Added error definitions

Can I use this in dialog?