Originally Posted by REYO
View Post
just merge DL with the new version big guy and we'll all shut up
This please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcor
View Post
we may actually be hurting the existing servers by giving away the source
What is your reasoning? I understand a bit, but it would be better heard from you.

Do you think that you will make another update in the future? To add more objects and skins (and to shuffle memory adresses a bit)? For example SA:MP 0.3.10

I probably will give out the source eventually. I just can't say when.

There are no secret versions of sa-mp on my drive. I think it's better for people to use stuff than it gathering dust.

some people are worried about the split between 0.3.7 and DL. well, that problem becomes 10x worse when there are 5-6 sa-mp forks.

open source isn't a replacement for a group of highly motivated people.

Quote:
View Post
we may actually be hurting the existing servers by giving away the source
As if the whole community hasn't been hurt by forcing us to split between two versions.

Quote:
View Post
Well there is a certain truth to that, but at the moment we have none of that anyway...

Quote:
View Post
it's better for a single group of highly motivated people to work on it than worry about open source.
Do you plan on hiring those people?

Quote:
View Post

There are no secret versions of sa-mp on my drive. I think it's better for people to use stuff than it gathering dust.

some people are worried about the split between 0.3.7 and DL. well, that problem becomes 10x worse when there are 5-6 sa-mp forks.

The way you paint open source is not good, it looks like that open source is a threat and it's something that would destroy the mod and the community while it's not true. If that was the case then a lot of famous open-source frameworks wouldn't exist.

As for the 5-6 sa-mp forks, I'm not saying that there won't be any, however, those that decide to fork and edit SA-MP risk having trouble finding new players.

Quote:
View Post

No need to release the code, just do not remove the DL.

Leave the DL along with 0.3.7 and bid 0.3.9 with everything that was said in this topic, is the minimum we want.

I am one of those against SA-MP Open Source, we are a community where few or almost no current projects are open source. We would only see several community members venturing out by opening their own mods with this opportunity, just as we see opening servers with gamemodes made available in the same way.

Earlier I sent a private message containing an idea to bring Kalcor and servers closer so that he could design ideas by listening to what the servers are going through and also providing solutions to problems.

moar update. moar scripp. moar pawno. moar skinn.

it'll never be enough for some people.

seriously, why, after such a long run, would I include some feature which dramatically changes the game and probably ties me to further updates for several more years?

as a final update, wouldn't I be better to preserve what's there and tested over many years?

Quote:
View Post

it'll never be enough for some people. that list is barely complete.

seriously, why, after such a long run, would I include some feature which dramatically changes the game and probably ties me to further updates for several more years?

as a final update, wouldn't I be better to preserve what's there and tested over many years?
All you have to do is not remove the DL in the next update, you know it's a mistake.

Many will lose work for years, do you think this is fair?

Dude is the minimum we want, fixes, security update and some features that have never been added before.

You have a chance to give a fuck community update, but it looks like you're ignoring that chance.

You are looking at chance and chance looking at you Kalcor.

Quote:
View Post

You should have finished 0.3.8 and moved on dude, you gave us the package already under 0.3.dl and now you are half-arsed to finish it/ want to take it away. You should not have introduced it in the first place and took that 4+ year hiatus everyone was calling you out on, given your argument now.

But for the sakes of everyone just flip the switch and add the merger, people want to play in unison this division bullshit is what we're most upset about, /how not clear is it?/

Read some of the old RC topics. How happy we were every time you added new features.

Do you want this project to become a passive-income type of thing so you no longer have to do anything?

If you somehow happen to merge 0.3.7 with 0.3.DL, you can add some EULA thingies that prevent people from using trademarks and put all liability off your back.

And if this thing is as you said:

Quote:
View Post

This means it was tested so much, it is THE LAST UPDATE WE WILL EVER GET. Why not name it SA:MP 1.0?

Quote:
View Post

Because that feature has already been developed, tested, played, enjoyed, requested, and defended. By all means it is something that should be in the final version, considering it would indeed be final. We were promised that the branches would be merged, and for a long time, the only reason was that DL wasn't getting enough feedback and that not many servers want it. I think we proved you wrong in this thread.

You said it would force existing servers to use the new features or get "out of the loop". Yet you also said that players go where other players go, so if the existing servers are enjoyable on their own, they won't need to get any custom models. And even if they do, that would just benefit them and the players that play there.

If you want to never give a fuck after releasing 0.3.9, nothing stops you from that, model downloading being there or not. But what will change is how you will be remembered.

Quote:
View Post

I get your point, you just don't want to keep it up and I get you, it's understandable that after 14 years you've decided to move on with life, you've done a lot to be honest.

However, you have a community behind your back and I think that just crushing the community this way it's not ideal, everyone is voicing their opinion and we're trying to strive towards a good solution that fits you and the community.

You can open-source the project, you can merge DL to 0.3.9 and then let it be like that forever or you can choose someone to continue with the project, those are some few ideas and that would benefit you and the community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllidanS4
View Post
Because that feature has already been developed, tested, played, enjoyed, requested, and defended. By all means it is something that should be in the final version, considering it would indeed be final
This :3
It's a feature many enjoy and has proven quite successful. Having it merged with the main branch would be great.

Quote:
View Post
This wouldn't tie you to anything. It merely preserves the ability for others to continue working off of it.

Quote:
View Post
I reiterate what I've already said. The best of both worlds favors everybody, rather than one segment of the community being hurt.

It seems to me that your biggest gripe with making SA-MP open source is that somehow you'll lose what you've created over these years. What you must realize is that this community is not geared toward getting rid of what you've created as a team. We wouldn't be here if it weren't for your contributions. But now in 2019 with your contributions at an utter standstill, you have to understand that most of us haven't even given you a thought until you made this absurd decision. You refer to the SA-MP team as 'we' in your reply, but frankly I don't know who 'we' is anymore, who else is on board with you? If you want recognition moving forward for what you've done, perhaps make the correct choice and don't take back what you've given to us. "If it's not broken, don't fix it". There's nothing wrong with the model system, it hasn't drastically changed SA-MP as we know it. The fundamental server ideas are still running as they were before, simply with more options with regards to how users can enjoy this platform. I can say with near certainty, that if you go forward and remove custom models, you're going to bury this entire project and in turn take away the pass time of many. But maybe burying SA-MP is what you're after, it seems that you're genuinely throwing in the towel (which is fine, I get it, you've been working on this for over a decade).

In short, do the right thing and leave things how they are now. Everyone (including yourself) knows that after you push this next update, we won't hear from you for an indefinite period of time. I (and I'm sure many of us) would much rather you leave us with 0.3DL and never update this project again, rather than continue to make attempts to butcher what has treated us so well for all these years.

Thank you.

Quote:
View Post

it'll never be enough for some people.

All that we're asking for right now is for the DL functionality to be kept in 0.3.9. We're not asking for open source SA-MP.

The DL feature would mean that the "moar skinn" part of not relevant. If you want to move on from SA-MP, that's understandable but don't be removing a feature that many people (myself and many others included) actually enjoy and have put time into this feature for their servers.

Just don't delete the 0.3.DL feature, that's literally all I (and most people) are asking for.

I actually abandoned DL nearly 2 years ago. It was ls-rp and rc-rp's call to stick with it, not mine.

I did say the two versions would eventually be merged, but gave no time horizon. I said it would eventually be open source, but gave no time horizon.