Is it still worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodMaster
View Post
Why do you not just talk to Y Less and try to solve your differences? Get into a Discord/Teamspeak call and just talk.
It'll have to be IRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BloodMaster
View Post
Why do you not just talk to Y Less and try to solve your differences? Get into a Discord/Teamspeak call and just talk.
What would be the harm?
Best case scenario, you guys make it up and find a solution.
Worst case? Nothing changes.
You cannot lose.
I think they tried already

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcor
View Post
They've been threatening to release "open mp" mod which is apparently compatible with sa-mp, but gets rid of me. That's what Y Less posted. It's impossible to release anything compatible with sa-mp without violating my rights. I'm guessing it was going to be something similar to that rwmp.

Anything that happens with sa-mp requires my permission.

If you want full control over your own MP mod, you'd need to start from scratch, or fork an open source one and abide by the GPL or w/e.
To my knowledge, open mp uses no prior code taken from SA-MP, making use of the knowledge of network protocol, packets etc. to create a compatible server. What rights of yours does it violate?

I remember the conflict with RWMP where you stated that if they didn't use the source code of SA-MP, there would be no issue. Is that not the case anymore?

Quote:
View Post
If you have some ideas for small improvements in 0.3.9, I'm listening.
We need a new font to make small texts, because the current ones are unreadable when we use smaller resolutions.
The perfect font would be the same one you use for live audiostreams/playlist like in the picture:

Quote:
View Post
They've been threatening to release "open mp" mod which is apparently compatible with sa-mp, but gets rid of me. That's what Y Less posted. It's impossible to release anything compatible with sa-mp without violating my rights. I'm guessing it was going to be something similar to that rwmp.

Anything that happens with sa-mp requires my permission.

If you want full control over your own MP mod, you'd need to start from scratch, or fork an open source one and abide by the GPL or w/e.
Why would making a mod that's just compatible with your mod be violating your rights? If they do not use your source code I do not see a problem with this.

Being compatible with your mod doesn't mean it has actually anything to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllidanS4
View Post
To my knowledge, open mp uses no prior code taken from SA-MP, making use of the knowledge of network protocol, packets etc. to create a compatible server. What rights of yours does it violate?

I remember the conflict with RWMP where you stated that if they didn't use the source code of SA-MP, there would be no issue. Is that not the case anymore?
It's not just code that's copyright. All the function names, the packet names, all the script callbacks and functions.

edit:

It'll probably never get to this because this is just a game mod, and honestly, there's not enough money in it.

but honestly, any *-mp mod that uses raknet and has server scripting probably violates sa-mp's intellectual property rights in a western legal system.

Kalcor, I just don't think there is a point of 0.3.9 if you won't implement a built-in downloader system (that will allow to update the client without having to go on websites) and such. Let alone a merge with the 2 versions.

Quote:
View Post
It's not just code that's copyright. All the function names, the packet names, all the script callbacks and functions.
You can't copyright a packet name, not really. You can the overall functionality, but if I could copyright my Python class name would that make any sense in the real world? The answer is no

Quote:
View Post
Will you sue them once it gets out there?

Quote:
View Post
Not sure if you can copyright packet names, but the scripting API is also created anew and redeveloped. Is this feud really caused only by the fact that CreateObject, CreateVehicle, OnPlayerConnect etc. are all protected names? If that is the case, you might find other projects not even remotely related to SA-MP violating your copyright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IllidanS4
View Post
Not sure if you can copyright packet names, but the scripting API is also created anew and redeveloped. Is this feud really caused only by the fact that CreateObject, CreateVehicle, OnPlayerConnect etc. are all protected names? If that is the case, you might find other projects not even remotely related to SA-MP violating your copyright.
If you see all the same names, yeah, it's plagiarism.

I can't create a movie with Han Solo, Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader.

Quote:
View Post

Obviously. But I doubt that they would use 100% all the same names. And no, you cant copyright a set of general words (Such as OnPlayerConnect)

Quote:
View Post

You created a Mod that is compatible with San Andreas (but doesn't actually use San Andreas' code)
They created a Mod that is compatible with SaA:MP (but doesn't actually use SA:MP's code)

If you open source it we can all go to prison together bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max_Coldheart
View Post
Obviously. But I doubt that they would use 100% all the same names. And no, you cant copyright a set of general words (Such as OnPlayerConnect)
It was probably a bad example. The terms such as "OnPlayerConnect" are vast terms. They're going to be used often because of their ease. For example, you wouldn't call it "OnPlayerConnectToServer" just to avoid copyright.

If you're using a lot of the same terms with similar intentions for the same, or a similar game then it would probably be seen as plagiarism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxus
View Post
It was probably a bad example. The terms such as "OnPlayerConnect" are vast terms. They're going to be used often because of their ease. For example, you wouldn't call it "OnPlayerConnectToServer" just to avoid copyright.

If you're using a lot of the same terms with similar intentions for the same, or a similar game then it would probably be seen as plagiarism.
If the names are unique enough. If they aren't, probably not.

I'm not claiming to own "OnPlayerConnect." But there'd be a point where so many names are copied, that you could say this work is derived from another work.

This is all theoretical discussion. But I feel confident saying that any client or server compatible with sa-mp would necessarily have to violate our copyright, and therefore "open mp" would have to ask my permission.

Quote:
View Post
I'm not claiming to own "OnPlayerConnect." But there'd be a point where so many names are copied, that you could say this work is derived from another work.

This is all theoretical discussion. But I feel confident saying that any client or server compatible with sa-mp would necessarily have to violate our copyright, and therefore "open mp" would have to ask my permission.
Their client will not be compatible with SA:MP Servers and clients.

Quote:
View Post

Being compatible doesn't violate copyright.

Quote:
View Post

if they asked, would they get