Is it still worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcor
View Post
I don't consider bugs critical if people can script around them. Sometimes bad data is being sent to the script callbacks because I figured it's better for the script to know the player is sending bad data so they can be banned.
But it's not about the major part of the list mentioned in the thread before and many bug reports even before. A LOT of current problems and flaws can be solved and scripted around using Pawn.Raknet and similar plugins ONLY. It can't be fixed with native functions without additional load and dependencies. Moreover there are still some bugs (critical enough) which cannot be fixed at all! Are you sure you checked this for example? Please don't ignore quite specific proposals, at least this time.

Quote:
View Post
Unless something good happens, like GTA:SA gets released DRM free on GoG, I'm not developing SA-MP anymore. If there's a really critical security flaw, I could do an emergency patch, but that's all.
Isn't a problem to transfer the project to someone else for development? You still have a few guys in beta team and a lot on this forum who could be a part of beta team.

Kalcor

I think the community can help you improving the new version if you want.

Just say what is necessary and I'm sure everyone and I talk for my self we gone be here to help and respect your work. We have a long way together so let's keep like that. This is part of us.

So what you want we do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PT
View Post
Kalcor

I think the community can help you improving the new version if you want.

Just say what is necessary and I'm sure everyone and I talk for my self we gone be here to help and respect your work. We have a long way together so let's keep like that. This I'd part of us.

So what you want we do?
You actually didn't get the point, he doesn't need help he just want to know what server owners think about this update, is it going to worth or not simple as that.

Quote:
View Post
I'm not deleting it because of them. I thought they were trolls all along.

The discussion is meant to be about whether I can go ahead with a 0.3.9 update which shifts 0.3.7 over to a new version. I just need thumbs up from a few big 0.3.7 servers.
Hi Kalcor,

I lead one of the "largest server" with 800+ players every day ( 7 years and counting) and will support any decision you make, however new update would be so damn good.

(https://banners.gametracker.rs/51.89...raph-month.jpg) (Monthly graph of players )

Today we had around 890 players peak, due to new maintenance I have performed. however over weekends its 1k/1k.

Surely there are large server owners here also watching this topic, i myself know few people here who lead some huge Romanian servers but not sure why they don't respond.

We are keeping SAMP alive, no worries about that. Meanwhile, there are really some good comments here from people who really care for samp even tho its many years old, and you should really take a closer look.

From your POV we understand why you lost strength to develop SAMP, even me myself had some times where i would give up from samp due to many issues, but yeah community keeps it alive. Looks like this thread has drawn you attention which means you could still roam here ; )

But yeah, if you really decide to quit samp, open-sourcing or giving someone else to maintain your work would be also appreciated, but that's your call.

Let others speak for themselves and you can be the judge if it's worth it updating. I myself would also like new DL version integrated in ONE samp release(branch), so people don't need to switch countless times.

And also, let's not forget other people who are still developing some of the best includes, Nexius for NEX-AC. ADRFrankli for Sky, weapon-config,pawn-redis docker samp, Whitetiger for CAC, Zeex for Crashdecect, JIT and many other people who are still updating their includes & plugin to this day, to whom i offer endless gratitude and should be really featured people as best contributors on SAMP.

Go out and give it your best shot.
Whatever happens, you've already got a lot to be proud of.

Regards

Quote:
View Post
I'm not deleting it because of them. I thought they were trolls all along.

The discussion is meant to be about whether I can go ahead with a 0.3.9 update which shifts 0.3.7 over to a new version. I just need thumbs up from a few big 0.3.7 servers.
Dear Kye. 13 years. We start server on 0.1b.
And what now? We have a server on 0.3DL and tested it since RC versions, and for almost a year we have been living with zero online, but at the same time with one of the most complex technical implementations in samp. Let valakas now no longer seem such a big server, but the lack of release is killing us. We really do not want to leave the samp, but we will have to do it. We need 0.3.9 with 0.3DL functionality, this is obvious to the whole community.

There's hardly any content available for DL. It was too late in the mod's lifecycle to try and develop a modeling pipeline.

You're better off abandoning DL and going back to 0.3.7. We'll have to figure something else out to get new content in, like going back to including it with the sa-mp installer.

Well, as far as I'm concerned, 0.3.9 update might destroy modding community for this version. It's not only cheats available for SA:MP, also there are a lot of cool modifications. Big percent of players uses different helpers, especially on some RolePlay servers. We know that big SA:MP projects are RolePlay projects oftenly. It means that players lose ability to use some scripts and plugins for SAMP. It might be the reason to keep staying on 0.3.7 release. And also many servers have released themselves launchers and modifications such as voice chat. They lose time transferring server from 0.3.7 release to 0.3.9. In total, they get nothing: only security update. It might help against cheaters but only for few time. In my opinion, 0.3.9 update is really useless.

Quote:
View Post
There's hardly any content available for DL. It was too late in the mod's lifecycle to try and develop a modeling pipeline.

You're better off abandoning DL and going back to 0.3.7. We'll have to figure something else out to get new content in, like going back to including it with the sa-mp installer.
You say it's "Hardly any content", but I've seen servers do awesome stuff with the current DL functionality (e.g. Vice City/Liberty City based RP servers). It's never too late to add new content and features. Give the people the tools and the developers will create some great stuff, is DL not for you as a server owner? No problem! Just don't use it.

Some big servers already adopted the version, Server-wide downloadable skins and objects is the RP servers wet dream.

Quote:
View Post

If the content is not posted on the forum - this does not mean that it is not on the servers, we have our own interiors, skins, a cloud of small objects, and we really used it. All you had to do was to release 0.3 DL and let the server owners decide for themselves whether they would use the objects or not, a single line in the server statistics in the client could judge everything. As a result, we have to wait and hope for the guys from open mp and create a server in GTA 5, although we wanted a completely different one.

0.3.DL is a great version, well it have a small bugs, but it's not noticeable, at least it's playable and it's very popular for role-play servers. I've created a lots of stuff for DL version as myself for my role-play server and everyone liked that, also there is a requests for new servers to be opened in 0.3.DL.
Abandoning that is not a good idea.

Forgive me if I am misremembering but I think I saw someone post somewhere recently that they wouldn’t want to see the DL branch go into the main development branch because some people wouldn’t want the downloads and would just leave the mod entirely. Wouldn’t a good way around this issue be to have a server variable such as “UseDownloads” or something like that. The client could then have a new search parameter for searching for servers that either only use the download feature, or do not.

Of course, the downside for that argument is that if the DL branch became part of the main branch then more servers would use the download feature. I think that overall it would still be worth doing, alongside the memory address changes for a 0.3.9 release that would probably be more than enough of an update for the holidays that you mentioned and would mean that servers on the DL and 0.3.7 branch would be on the same list which could be beneficial.

From what I’ve read of DL, and from the small time I used it, DL seems stable enough to be a main branch release. I admit I didn’t use it to its full potential but there are certainly servers out there that have put a lot of work into their server using the DL version and are shining examples of what make those changes good.

You also mentioned not getting a lot of feedback for the DL version. I feel as though you’d get a lot more feedback if it was part of the main branch. Maybe open dialogue between yourself and the bigger server owners.

Quote:
View Post

Am I expected to just gut my server and scrap the hundreds of unique models created for it over the last two years? You created a version with amazing potential and are now proceeding to royally fuck everyone who put their faith into trying to make it work. My team has spent countless hours crafting incredible content for my server, so suggesting I, and other 0.3.DL owners, throw it all away is fairly saddening to see. My idea to improve file downloading is likely still floating around in the beta forum somewhere, which is a way better solution than simply abandoning server-controlled custom assets.

Quote:
View Post

I specifically studied 3D modeling to make new content for my server, should I forget about all this and switch to something else? I already have some ready-made models that I will use after the update is released, why are you doing so bad with your community and don’t want to do an update that will include version 0.3DL in the main??

Here are some models that were made for my server:

(full images: https://imgur.com/a/cCgT6yo)

Hi,

I believe the DL arm of SA-MP was too niche; it's quite specific and not many people know how to model.

This doesn't mean that we don't want updates, we are still here. Inevitability the player-base will drop due to people moving on with their lives however there is still a decent amount of people still here.

Custom modeling is good however I personally believe it should be integrated into the installer just like the 0.3c objects were.

Friendly reminder: there is a bunch of suggestions in the suggestion thread that the community would like.

Don't give up Kye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyB
View Post
Am I expected to just gut my server and scrap the hundreds of unique models created for it over the last two years? You created a version with amazing potential and are now proceeding to royally fuck everyone who put their faith into trying to make it work. My team has spent countless hours crafting incredible content for my server, so suggesting I, and other 0.3.DL owners, throw it all away is fairly saddening to see. My idea to improve file downloading is likely still floating around in the beta forum somewhere, which is a way better solution than simply abandoning server-controlled custom assets.
DL isn't going anywhere. You can stay on that version if you want.

Looking at the player numbers, it looks like adding custom content ultimately hurt rc-rp and ls-rp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burridge
View Post
Forgive me if I am misremembering but I think I saw someone post somewhere recently that they wouldn’t want to see the DL branch go into the main development branch because some people wouldn’t want the downloads and would just leave the mod entirely. Wouldn’t a good way around this issue be to have a server variable such as “UseDownloads” or something like that. The client could then have a new search parameter for searching for servers that either only use the download feature, or do not.
That feature is already there. But it's like the shooting code added to 0.3z. Most servers are going to enabled it. Then we only figure out years later it was actually harmful.

Maybe making the download size available in the client would make things better?
Maybe even limiting it to a fair amount would be beneficial.

Perhaps make servers that don't use DL features to appear first in the list, or sorted by download size by default?

I'm pushing ahead with 0.3.9 and it won't have any downloading feature enabled.

DL will still be available here on the forum. Maybe I'll get around to fixing the breakable fences bug in DL one day.

If you have some ideas for small improvements in 0.3.9, I'm listening.

For example, there are a few new skins floating around that could be added to the 0.3.9 installer.

Quote:
View Post

DL will still be available here on the forum. Maybe I'll get around to fixing the breakable fences bug in DL one day.

For example, there are a few new skins floating around that could be added to the 0.3.9 installer.
Add a way to enable/disable vehicle map icons (those little cubes)

Quote:
View Post

Some optimisations for objects processing.

Quote:
View Post
Well, how about that?!
https://sampforum.blast.hk/showthread.php?tid=670168