Is it still worth it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcor
View Post
Yeah, I'm done. I haven't officially called it because there's always a chance of a security update or something.

Nobody who has been around as long as me still plays this game. If they're here at all, it's only to chat with people they met years ago.

You're wasting your time writing a SA-MP script from scratch, unless it's something that interests you. There are already loads of scripts out there.

You wouldn't start a SA-MP server in 2019. If you want to make something involving SA-MP, build a gaming community with a forum etc and run multiple games.

I've been planning to move to linux desktop for a long time. There's a shift in that direction among computing professionals and scientists.
sourcee code buddy, look at this forum , samp isn't tottaly dead yet

I think now would be the perfect time to open source the project, it's literally the only other option apart from letting it completely die.

I understand why you want to let it run it's course and die, you've spent literally a decade and some on the project and I assume now you just want it to be over. However, I think the best way to leave your legacy would be with either giving the project over to someone else or allowing the remaining members of the community with it and see what happens.

At least merging the .DL branch into the main version of the game would do something to help resolve the split in the community and hopefully give at least some tiny hope and consistency to any new or low pb servers trying to reach out to more people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanz
View Post
There are also significant differences in how owners run their communities too. I know that the owner of one of the largest English roleplay servers is a racist individual who dismisses claims of staff DDOSing players.
Which server is this?

Let's all unite and create a masterpiece. xD

Quote:
View Post
Yeah, I'm done. I haven't officially called it because there's always a chance of a security update or something.

Nobody who has been around as long as me still plays this game. If they're here at all, it's only to chat with people they met years ago.

You're wasting your time writing a SA-MP script from scratch, unless it's something that interests you. There are already loads of scripts out there.

You wouldn't start a SA-MP server in 2019. If you want to make something involving SA-MP, build a gaming community with a forum etc and run multiple games.

I've been planning to move to linux desktop for a long time. There's a shift in that direction among computing professionals and scientists.
Open source SA-MP, at least let other build on it

Quote:
View Post
I've tried GTA SA on an Ubuntu system with Wine. As long as you have the drivers for your graphics card installed properly, the game runs perfectly without any lag or hickups.

Open-sourcing won't solve anything but produce countless amount of new uncompatible custom clients/servers so samp will die much faster in that case. IMO Kalcor should delegate development to a new dev team he would trust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarutoUA
View Post
Open-sourcing won't solve anything but produce countless amount of new uncompatible custom clients/servers so samp will die much faster in that case. IMO Kalcor should delegate development to a new dev team he would trust.
Then why do you have your own SA-MP stuff on github based on the leaked source code?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarutoUA
View Post
Open sourcing really won`t sovle nothing. But I think development of multiplayer will be stopped, Kalcor won`t give his sources to other developers. Just remember RW multiplayer. They took SAMP 0.2.5 and Kalcor almost brought this case to court. I think Kalcor leave SAMP for mercy of fate. Many reasons for it. Starting from almost 15 year old game (on 26th October), old engine, bugs. Kalcor squeezed all the juices out of SAMP. Nothing to create or update. SAMP is dying. Almost died. No one would care about development of multiplayer to 15 year old game.

Hihi,

well I'm thankful that the RakNET still exists and that somebody, probably Kalcor, is watching on it. I'm not that much into this networking stuff but I'm simply happy that it exists. I'm very fanatic in scripting and I wanted to start writing my own discord connector plugin as the one of maddinator is shitty. Sorry for that but that's simply true in my eyes. As I don't want to reason it now and as it seems to be needless for me to explain an ignorant german the "why", I will continue.
Back to topic, I personally think in the same way as Kalcor thinks. If it's really interests you, then start writing a gamemode from scratch. I had fun scripting some features of other games i.e. "taking" their idea, and scripting them with PAWNO. Had a lot of fun with that. I've also read something about the samp client & the server. Don't publish the source code. Never do it, your own personality will regret it. It's not the way how it works. If people think they can do it better, then do it by yourself. That's how its going on. SA:MP is not dying. The minds of some peops, who can't understand that some games such as gta sa got cult, are only unable to accept this fact. You can compare samp or simply gta sa with some nitendo game cube games. Many of them are a part of our gaming culture so it will never "die" unless the RakNET shuts down if I understood that correctly cz without the network, the clients are useless ofc. .
I've also read something about running samp clients on different OSs. Sorry for my grammar cz I use short forms to make it shorter. I ran it on kali (even backtrack 3 ran it), debian (6,7,8,9), ubuntu (12,13,14,15,16,1 with wine. U need to download the matching libraries and if wine does not even work, then simply compile it for your OS. Installation sometimes simply take some more time than on windows. It's simply more friendly to users and that's why it archieved more success as their are more users than devs in this world.

That's all from my side.

Wish you all a good day,

BB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loffee
View Post
Open sourcing really won`t sovle nothing. But I think development of multiplayer will be stopped, Kalcor won`t give his sources to other developers. Just remember RW multiplayer. They took SAMP 0.2.5 and Kalcor almost brought this case to court. I think Kalcor leave SAMP for mercy of fate. Many reasons for it. Starting from almost 15 year old game (on 26th October), old engine, bugs. Kalcor squeezed all the juices out of SAMP. Nothing to create or update. SAMP is dying. Almost died. No one would care about development of multiplayer to 15 year old game.
I also have to reply once again. And this reply is not only for you so don't be strict if you are personally not even concerned but your text is good for introducing my part.

Why do you all think why Kalcor left so often?? Be simply thankful that the RakNET and whatever will make it possible for your clients and the other new developed clients can access your servers. Care about your own life! Do your own stuff and be simply thankful. It's so retarded to think all the time what happened in a bad way in the past. Look on the positive thinks and remember your career or however you want to name it in a good way. It's simply needless. I think everyone learned already out of bad stuff of the past and it's not needed to repeat it again and again. That's also something usual of the real life. Dk why the net is so different for some peops. Maybe they've never had a real life? Who knows. I'm sure that I will earn some criticism but actually I simply wanted to show the problems and not more. I'm not here to solve them as I'm unable to do that because I'm not a god or something similar. So, I'm out and Kalcor, if you've read my signature, don't take it that much srsly as it's only meant in a funny way in Germany. I had simply fun expressing sarcasm in a retarded german slang.

BB 2.0 and BB now for some time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doddinger
View Post
I also have to reply once again. And this reply is not only for you so don't be strict if you are personally not even concerned but your text is good for introducing my part.

Why do you all think why Kalcor left so often?? Be simply thankful that the RakNET and whatever will make it possible for your clients and the other new developed clients can access your servers. Care about your own life! Do your own stuff and be simply thankful. It's so retarded to think all the time what happened in a bad way in the past. Look on the positive thinks and remember your career or however you want to name it in a good way. It's simply needless. I think everyone learned already out of bad stuff of the past and it's not needed to repeat it again and again. That's also something usual of the real life. Dk why the net is so different for some peops. Maybe they've never had a real life? Who knows. I'm sure that I will earn some criticism but actually I simply wanted to show the problems and not more. I'm not here to solve them as I'm unable to do that because I'm not a god or something similar. So, I'm out and Kalcor, if you've read my signature, don't take it that much srsly as it's only meant in a funny way in Germany. I had simply fun expressing sarcasm in a retarded german slang.

BB 2.0 and BB now for some time!
Of course, optimism is an important part of our lives. But if you look at it now, there is little place for optimism. In a game that has been known for 15 years everyone has already investigated everything. Nothing more to enjoy. Like the storyline of any game. You passed it, you will pass it again, but you already know what will be in the end, what will be the beginning and what will be the most interesting, and what is boring.

Of course, it's certainly good that simple SAMP support continues. But it looks like a person in a coma, and if you disconnect him from the life support device, he will die. For many, he has already died, but looking at 30 thousand people playing this game every day, they really feel sorry for them. In an instant, everything will stop. For some people it has died recently or even many years ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxthefish
View Post
Then why do you have your own SA-MP stuff on github based on the leaked source code?
1. My stuff is sa-mp compatible stuff and is oriented to fix original bugs and optimizations but not add new 'original features' like other samplike multiplayers do.
2. Source code is not released (except for raknet part), only binaries

Quote:
View Post
But there have been many security flaws since the last SA-MP server release, which have not been fixed though. Only some of the things were fixed on the side of the new R3 client, but all other remaining problems were not taken into account. The same with the DL branch which has been in "beta" for a year or so, but no shifts, improvements and updates for known problems for it till now as well.

Quote:
View Post
Well you rule this team and you could recruit new beta testers from active people in this forum. Look around and you will see that there are still a lot of such people and we are still interested in this project.

By the way, a lot of servers still pay you for hosting tab, so I think it should be clearly visible that many people still have successful servers with some good online players amount on it.

Quote:
View Post
In that case please do something with source code. Release it or give it to trusted motivated developer team. If you can not trust anyone, is somehow possible to gather some motivated developer team and make them to build something like "official optional SA-MP launcher addon" and bring new things?

There's still people playing but you don't find new players in this modification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaksken
View Post
I've tried GTA SA on an Ubuntu system with Wine. As long as you have the drivers for your graphics card installed properly, the game runs perfectly without any lag or hickups.
It's not about playing the game. There's a pretty huge difference between running a game on linux using wine and developing a game for windows on linux using wine.

Quote:
View Post

Congratulations Kalcor! The bad guys won (those who attack servers and literally control sa-mp)
Now Sergioo will manipulate sa-mp

Great, Sergioo will read this post and he become the new SAMP's owner. I'm sure.

Spent like 10 years on this game and the statement above states that the game will rather die than handing out the source code to experienced coders (alex, dkluin or else) Was a good time tho.