How long did it take you to learn Pawn programming language?

I'm looking forward to learn the Pawn programming language, and I was curious how long does it take to learn the language itself. How long did it take you? Can I learn a lot of stuff (not master it because it takes more I suppose?) in a month or two if I focus every day for a couple of hours? Your answer will be very much appreciated, thanks!

I'll tell you my little story. I discovered SA-MP in 2007-2008, played if for about 1 year then I decided to make my own server. Took lots of gamemode off the forums, filterscripts and put them togheter. I started translating them into my own language and then it struck me... How the hell does this work? And I started analyzing, browsing wikipedia, forums and ******* videos, I took gamemodes and filterscripts and started analyzing them, the code, the alignment, and slowly slowly I started to understand, more and more until I became pretty great at it in about 1 year, then I left.
So yeah, it takes time, patience, basic understanding of how a computer works, how a language works, etc.
Keep practicing, keep learning, keep making mistakes because the worst nights of my programming life back then were bugs, kept me awake for hours and after finally fixing them gave me another boost to accomplish another task!
It's better if you start enjoying it too

Almost 8 years.

You don't learn something for the purpose of learning it. If you don't have a purpose for which you want to learn PAWN, you will have no motivation and will probably spend less than an hour every month. Just have an idea, why you want to learn PAWN? Do you want to make a SA-MP server or your own game mode? You should ask yourself these questions and take the decision. Once you take the decision, you will find yourself trying to learn the language just to apply your ideas by yourself. Then you will do mistakes and will seek others' help to fix what you've done wrongly, and others will help you improve your code. Then you'll not do these mistakes in the future, and you will gradually start helping others out yourself once you've learnt enough. But nothing stops you from learning more. You will probably have interest in learning other languages once you've mastered PAWN.

1 month for basics. Its a very simple yet useful language to learn. I would recommend people to learn pawn as their first language as is gives you the basic concepts of almost all of the parts of the major languages like c/c++, also somewhat php and python. Learning C# will also be really easy after pawn.

3 words

trial and error

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueDrifter
View Post
3 words

trial and error
This.

until now can't perfect my scripting skills

I'm learning pawno for three years.
It took me one year to learn basics and get used to pawno.
It took me two years to actually start scripting something unique.
It took me three years to be an average pawno developer and I'm still learning.
WARNING: Don't be like me, because I'm lazy.

Had no coding experience at all before pawn.
Took me a few hours to learn the syntax.
A few days to create basic functions.
Months to actually be able to script something simple.
(Had a full working gamemode with basic features in about 6 months. It was really crappy but it worked)
Lost interest and started learning other languages. (Pawn helped a lot)
Got back into pawn a few months ago, learned a lot (mostly optimizing) in a very short time.
You never stop learning new stuff.

Don't know how your experience will be and how long it takes you, but even without any experience, it is possible to learn a lot in a very short amount of time.