Recommanded specs for SAMP server

Hello,

I've searched a lot about the recommanded specs of a VPS to run a 50/300/600/1000 slots SAMP Server, but i didn't found an exact answer, so can you guys please tell me ?

Thanks.

4 GB RAM is sufficient to run a server with other applications like mysql or memory consuming plugins for the server itself.

You must have 1.2 TB bandwidth to run a server 24/7 with a constant player base of 100 players. You can use that value to know how much you need for more players.

Processor must have 2 cores or more, one core will be a laggy and even 2 can be if you have a lot of processes and applications running on the VPS.

Go for a SSD VPS, an active server with a lot of players and crashdetect turned on will have a big server log, you will need space for database as well so like 30 GB of storage is needed to run the server smoothly with logs, database and if you'd want to compile plugins for your server.

Thank you for replying, and how about the CPU ? Is 1 Core i7 6700K @ 4.40GHz sufficient the run 1 server of 1000 slots ? And how much cores for E5-2630 v4 @ 2.20GHz to run 1 or 2 servers or above ?

It all depends on what you are going to be running. Those CPUs should run fine as long as your server scripts aren't that intensive.

However personal recommendation is that i would use something else than the desktop processor chosen. (Intel i7 6700K)

I've run SA:MP servers on Pentium 4 machines and Atoms. It all depends on your coding ability and how efficient you code, and if you use MySQL and other extras.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable™
View Post
4 GB RAM is sufficient to run a server with other applications like mysql or memory consuming plugins for the server itself.

You must have 1.2 TB bandwidth to run a server 24/7 with a constant player base of 100 players. You can use that value to know how much you need for more players.

Processor must have 2 cores or more, one core will be a laggy and even 2 can be if you have a lot of processes and applications running on the VPS.

Go for a SSD VPS, an active server with a lot of players and crashdetect turned on will have a big server log, you will need space for database as well so like 30 GB of storage is needed to run the server smoothly with logs, database and if you'd want to compile plugins for your server.
You know literally nothing about what you're even saying.
SAMP barely even uses much ram. I'd say allocate 512MB towards SAMP and maybe another gig and a half towards a MariaDB database (and apache/nginx if you decide to install phpMyAdmin). SAMP cannot utilize more than a single core however as you said 2 or more would actually work alright. You could even do with one core because SAMP wouldn't utilize the whole entire core unless you were gonna have a full-to-the-brim server.
When it comes to a small VPS, whether its a SSD or a HDD should not matter unless you're handling a lot of read/write operations. If you're using a MariaDB database you shouldn't even need these read/write operations anyways. Obviously a SSD is much prefered due to just making everything snappier in general.

Bandwidth just determines how much traffic your server can handle, how much data can be sent/received. Most proper hosts offer unlimited bandwidth, however if you're going with something dogshit then be wary of your limitations.

Note: You can substitute MySQL for MariaDB. MariaDB is a open-source fork of MySQL, by the original author of MySQL, who sold it to Oracle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infin1ty
View Post
You know literally nothing about what you're even saying.
SAMP barely even uses much ram. I'd say allocate 512MB towards SAMP and maybe another gig and a half towards a MariaDB database (and apache/nginx if you decide to install phpMyAdmin). SAMP cannot utilize more than a single core however as you said 2 or more would actually work alright. You could even do with one core because SAMP wouldn't utilize the whole entire core unless you were gonna have a full-to-the-brim server.
When it comes to a small VPS, whether its a SSD or a HDD should not matter unless you're handling a lot of read/write operations. If you're using a MariaDB database you shouldn't even need these read/write operations anyways. Obviously a SSD is much prefered due to just making everything snappier in general.

Bandwidth just determines how much traffic your server can handle, how much data can be sent/received. Most proper hosts offer unlimited bandwidth, however if you're going with something dogshit then be wary of your limitations.

Note: You can substitute MySQL for MariaDB. MariaDB is a open-source fork of MySQL, by the original author of MySQL, who sold it to Oracle.
You are attacking me and yet you didn't add something useful. I will firstly correct you that, you can never have unlimited bandwidth but rather unmetered. Where's the difference?

Your provider doesn't measure your bandwidth and doesn't set a maximum capacity or anything, but you still pay for the bandwidth already. When you get a 100 slots SA-MP server for a month, you pay for the bandwidth needed for having the server up and running for a month having a constant playerbase of 100 players all the day. If you get less players, you pay for more bandwidth than what you actually need. For example, you pay for 100 slots, which needs 1.2TB of bandwidth a month, and you get just 50, you used half the bandwidth.

As for the recommended RAM, are you going to start the server with grand larceny? As hard as you optimize your script, you will still need more RAM. There are plugins like ColAndreas (takes 400MB RAM alone), MySQL (doesn't really take that much unless you have a big playerbase), and FCNPC or any NPC plugin that can even take 1 GB of RAM. That's why I recommended 4 GB RAM for a big server and if you plan to make a test server.

I recommended 2 or more CPU cores for if you run other applications than a SA-MP server, whatever you use, you will need more than one core to ensure that any other applications will not affect the SA-MP server.

You mentioned that SSD is 'much preferred'. I also recommended a SSD VPS, so you changed nothing here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable™
View Post
You are attacking me and yet you didn't add something useful. I will firstly correct you that, you can never have unlimited bandwidth but rather unmetered. Where's the difference?

Your provider doesn't measure your bandwidth and doesn't set a maximum capacity or anything, but you still pay for the bandwidth already. When you get a 100 slots SA-MP server for a month, you pay for the bandwidth needed for having the server up and running for a month having a constant playerbase of 100 players all the day. If you get less players, you pay for more bandwidth than what you actually need. For example, you pay for 100 slots, which needs 1.2TB of bandwidth a month, and you get just 50, you used half the bandwidth.

As for the recommended RAM, are you going to start the server with grand larceny? As hard as you optimize your script, you will still need more RAM. There are plugins like ColAndreas (takes 400MB RAM alone), MySQL (doesn't really take that much unless you have a big playerbase), and FCNPC or any NPC plugin that can even take 1 GB of RAM. That's why I recommended 4 GB RAM for a big server and if you plan to make a test server.

I recommended 2 or more CPU cores for if you run other applications than a SA-MP server, whatever you use, you will need more than one core to ensure that any other applications will not affect the SA-MP server.

You mentioned that SSD is 'much preferred'. I also recommended a SSD VPS, so you changed nothing here.

'attacking'

Until you can provide me graphs of RAM usage with the plugins you mentioned (no offense to ColAndreas' creator but I have never ever used it in my time here) I'm going to stick with what I said.
Don't come in my discord DM's, start advertising your COD MW4 server and then delete the messages after I told you I couldn't care less about who you were.

OP; go with the flow. Start off with something affordable then go up depending on server popularity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infin1ty
View Post
'attacking'

Until you can provide me graphs of RAM usage with the plugins you mentioned (no offense to ColAndreas' creator but I have never ever used it in my time here) I'm going to stick with what I said.
Don't come in my discord DM's, start advertising your COD MW4 server and then delete the messages after I told you I couldn't care less about who you were.

OP; go with the flow. Start off with something affordable then go up depending on server popularity.
Variable had a point in what he wrote, no reason to say he doesn't know what he's talking about.

It all depends on the vps usage.. 2-4gb of ram should be a good start. Plugins may use ram, not only the samp server itself.
Having one core or one thread to run eveything on is possible but being a bit redundant I'd go for 2 or more. Never had a server with 1000 players but it for sure requires more than having 50-100, and still have a good experience.

BTW colandreas uses 500-600mb when loaded fully.

Also the recommendation is good. Start small and upgrade when needed.

You really don't need anything else than a OVH SSD vps 1. And as for any other providers, 1GB of ram is more than enough.