A desperate plea, from a passionate server developer

Hi

Let me preface this by saying that I'm not the nicest person around but I am very passionate about server development and being able to put my creativity onto a canvas. SA-MP is my canvas. I want to keep it that way for a while even though interest from the development team has waned, hence this thread...

As some of you may know I'm someone who creates very niche servers. Many of my concepts depend heavily on serverside content without using much of the GTA San Andreas base game. While this is all fine and dandy, SA-MP limits me in many ways because the functions that would make mine and other peoples content much better simply isn't there. I'm someone who heavily believes the "this is impossible in SA-MP" argument is bullshit and I've proven this many times around however there are some things that ARE impossible, at least to a degree. To explain...:

I'm forced to use textdraws to cover the GTA San Andreas hud, even though the implementation of a native function for this doesn't seem impossible (look at UG-MP). I'm forced to create an entire framework to handle animated objects (using model frames, timers, .. a buggy mess basically), while the SA-MP dev team has created many animated objects themselves but don't give us the proper means to do it ourselves. We can add custom skins and custom models but we can't add custom guns because we can't "hide" the singleplayer weapons. We can't add custom vehicles, custom animations, etc even though many other mods (russian clients, and UG-MP) have managed to do so without much trouble.

Let me tell you something, I had originally quit SA-MP but I came back due to 0.3DL and I would like to think that I have a pretty good idea on how to utilise this version, for example take a look at my medieval project or my wild west project. The feedback given from the playerbase on both of these servers are off the charts, a lot of people say they came back to SA-MP just to play it. I strongly believe if scripters aren't forced to find alternative or roundabout ways to achieve their concepts it would benefit SA-MP loads.

The cancellation of 0.3DL was a big punch in the face and the reaction from most of the community, while irrational, backs this statement up. Personally? I don't want to be forced to move to a mod like UG-MP but I don't have any other choice. SA-MP has become a limit to what I want to do, see all issues listed above. I could go on about features etc like how attachment slots aren't enough for many servers (unless we use a plugin) or how only specific keys force us to find weird combinations and much more but I still have hope that there will be a change.

I really hope that there's more to the 0.3DL version because me and many other people who DO use it benefit greatly from having actual proper freedom, not being limited to the old shitty GTA SA HUD, the same vehicles and weapons, etc. Just imagine how immersive TDM servers would be able to get, or roleplay servers with new vehicles (UG-MP has many examples on this, just check their mod section, the content pumped out there is amazing).

What does it take for the dev team to introduce features like the ones mentioned above? 0.3DL was a very good start and while it's cancellation was unfortunate I really hope this doesn't end the idea of the DL version. There can be much more to this mod and it's servers if the right stones are set in place.

I completely agree with everything you mentioned. I think there's not even the need of huge updates to SA-MP, frequent smaller updates would be good where at least we can some new features every once in a while and then us the developers have ideas and experience to use the resources and functionality for an improved immersive experience that SA-MP has provided to us over the years.
  1. Vehicle icons; We can't hide them and that destroys the whole point of DayZ servers.
  2. Limited weapons; I've had the idea to create a PUBG based server on UG-MP once its out because of the all the maps and amount of weapons they have - it'd really allow me to create the real battle royale feel and experience in the bounds of the game.
  3. Custom animated objects; Stuff like in your (Dignity's) server like the horses and other animals would feel more immersive.
  4. Custom objects; One really good feature that has allowed us to go beyond the limits of what objects the SA-MP and the native game provides.
  5. Custom skins; Another good feature.
  6. Custom animations; This would completely change how we participate in roleplay.
  7. Attachment slots; Another good point.
  8. On screen labels; Something like how the chat or 3D text labels work but displays on the screen, just like the label that shows up in the bottom left when we stream music/ radio in the game, this would allow us to have textdraw level functionality but with custom fonts available on the client since we can't do custom fonts (in textdraws) without hassle. This would make the stuff we do with custom textures such as PHONES to do the clock or even make our own death list.
  9. Custom HUD icons; This would be useful in almost all servers, especially TDM, where we can use it to show different team captured areas using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logic_
View Post
I completely agree with everything you mentioned. I think there's not even the need of huge updates to SA-MP, frequent smaller updates would be good where at least we can some new features every once in a while and then us the developers have ideas and experience to use the resources and functionality for an improved immersive experience that SA-MP has provided to us over the years.
  1. Vehicle icons; We can't hide them and that destroys the whole point of DayZ servers.
  2. Limited weapons; I've had the idea to create a PUBG based server on UG-MP once its out because of the all the maps and amount of weapons they have - it'd really allow me to create the real battle royale feel and experience in the bounds of the game.
  3. Custom animated objects; Stuff like in your (Dignity's) server like the horses and other animals would feel more immersive.
  4. Custom objects; One really good feature that has allowed us to go beyond the limits of what objects the SA-MP and the native game provides.
  6. Custom animations; This would completely change how we participate in roleplay.
  8. On screen labels; Something like how the chat or 3D text labels work but displays on the screen, just like the label that shows up in the bottom left when we stream music/ radio in the game, this would allow us to have textdraw level functionality but with custom fonts available on the client since we can't do custom fonts (in textdraws) without hassle. This would make the stuff we do with custom textures such as PHONES to do the clock or even make our own death list.
  9. Custom HUD icons; This would be useful in almost all servers, especially TDM, where we can use it to show different team captured areas using it.
If there's a DL-R2, it'll have custom ifps and vehicles. I was thinking about all that stuff while DL was being developed.

Most of the Russian servers, which make up a majority of SA-MP's playerbase right now, don't seem to want the downloading feature. But the English servers need custom models to keep their players interested. Eventually 0.3.7 and DL will be merged in to a single version. It has to wait until most servers and players are comfortable with the feature though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcor
View Post
- I have my own experimental port of SA-MP for Elder Scrolls Oblivion which is almost works. It'll probably never be released though.[/url]
We want to play your mods. Release it. Your work is different than everybody else and that's why we stick to your mods, this is why we've a better community than the other SA mods.

Quote:
View Post
If there's a DL-R2, it'll have custom ifps and vehicles. I was thinking about all that stuff while DL was being developed.
Even if you release R2 with one of the features you just mentioned. We would be happy, it'll give us the time to develop mods and stuff for it until the next version comes out. You don't need to rush, one feature per release and frequent update and this kind of communication and we'll be more happy than ever

About merge, do it, please. I beg.

Kindly

Quote:
View Post
Most of the Russian servers, which make up a majority of SA-MP's playerbase right now, don't seem to want the downloading feature.
Nooo! In fact, everyone is afraid to switch to the test version, everyone is waiting for when you release the release and fix all the bugs.
You probably forgot about the CRMP, people go there specifically because it is an alternative to a SAMP with another card and the ability to make custom modpacks.

Many Russian communities have already picked up this news, most people say that the download is needed, please do not ignore us.

https://vk.com/wall-58723216_73835
https://vk.com/wall-51859525_159119
https://vk.com/wall-106532283_20845

Quote:
View Post

Most of the Russian servers, which make up a majority of SA-MP's playerbase right now, don't seem to want the downloading feature. But the English servers need custom models to keep their players interested. Eventually 0.3.7 and DL will be merged in to a single version. It has to wait until most servers and players are comfortable with the feature though.
There are also Romanian servers (which during crowded hours, total about 5000 players online) which would love the features from DL. The only reason why they don't switch any of their servers to DL is because of fear that their player numbers would fragment because they would prefer the option of playing on an oficially-declared "latest", "stable" SA:MP patch. It's simply in the Romanian spirit to choose the more common option (0.3.7), even though they would absolutely love new features.

We, the Romanian server owners, would LOVE to collaborate with the devs of SA:MP to make it even better (given that we offer a pretty numerous playerbase)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romz
View Post
Someone launched a vote in the Russian community about uploading models, everyone unanimously says that uploading models is necessary.

https://vk.com/wall-106532283_20845

And here is another Russian community where the survey is taking place, everything is voting mainly for the fact that downloading models is necessary.

https://vk.com/wall-58723216_73835
oh boy... this cant be more pathetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasis
View Post
why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasis
View Post
what's wrong?

Quote:
View Post

Hello, Kalcor. I haven't read all your posts yet, but as I learnt you want to refuse us from using new DL functions. We really need them. Most of heavy russian roleplay servers in SA:MP use SA:MP DL, because it's the modern version. You can check my last server, I made Stalker RolePlay in SA:MP and I used DL version to load objects and skins. Here will be some screenshots.

Big roleplay servers such as Advance, Diamond and etc don't need DL verison, because they all are commercial servers. These server's developers use their servers to gain money, but we don't. We want to make something new in SA:MP, we communicate with serious players and make serious servers. Please, let us use new version, we really need it. That is very important for us all. All russian developers are worried now, they think that it's one of your 1st april jokes, but I don't think so. If you need, I can give you more information about russian roleplay servers which are based on SA:MP DL. Most popular servers for now: Modules Playground [has 3 servers: stalker [completed], metro and raccoon city [are both in development]] and SW Project [russian lsrp].

Quote:
View Post
Go to MTA, if you need new animations, sounds and so on. In my opinion you're just lazy, and trying to make SAMP something for which it was not created.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcc
View Post
Go to MTA, if you need new animations, sounds and so on. In my opinion you're just lazy, and trying to make SAMP something for which it was not created.
IF SA-MP was never made for such stuff, the DL features would not have seen the light. This makes your point invalid, now go suck yourself off because we need these features. I'm not lazy, but instead, I'm willing to put more time into this more-than-a-decade old mod because I love what superiority it has over other mods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aminchikokiller
View Post
Big roleplay servers such as Advance, Diamond and etc don't need DL verison, because they all are commercial servers. These server's developers use their servers to gain money, but we don't.
That is just like LS-RP... They don't have a use for DL version except for some skins or objects.

EDIT: I just remembered there was some guy making English based TLoU (The Last of Us) in SA-MP and he greatly relied on custom animations and modpacks.

Quote:
View Post
That is just like LS-RP... They don't have a use for DL version except for some skins or objects.

EDIT: I just remembered there was some guy making English based TLoU (The Last of Us) in SA-MP and he greatly relied on custom animations and modpacks.
I'm "the guy".

I'm not a fan of the DL part introduced, I always agreed with Kalcor when he said that it should stay GTA SA and not be transformed into another game. But then Kalcor goes and adds the DL feature, U-turning his opinion BUT STILL hasn't added essentially (I assume) free features like being able to hide the vehicle map icons or HUD (absolutely insane to think this is not in when DL stuff was added, considering the original reason for not allowing HUD to be hidden was the fact that it should stay true to GTA SA...).

Stop focusing on stuff like DL and instead focus on adding smaller often requested things, easy stuff (yes you can probably bruteforce your way to a similar result but a native is a native!):
- Less forced SA-MP flavor (vehicle map icons, auto-respawn on death etc)
- Option to hide parts of the HUD
- Option to toggle on "player ped animations" on a per-player basis
- Sanity checks for stuff that crashes (see BeckzyBoi's or Karlip's bug topic) or literally any bug in there fixed
- Abandoned "expect more soon" stuff like the PlayerClicked callback (trigger for clicking the actual ped model? Chat name?)

I feel like with each and every SA-MP update the game is further moving away from GTA SA, instead of adding stuff that's been requested in topics like 'Suggestions for future versions of SA-MP' for a decade, we get new object models and stuff like DL. It's the reason loads of my friends quit developing for SA-MP, because objectively easy natives / features aren't added.
/minirant

//EDIT: This does not mean I want DL to be removed (I don't have to use it but more power to you making your sonic racing server), I merely want the infinite scroll backlog of low hanging fruits to be looked at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick94
View Post
I'm "the guy".
Hi guy

Quote:

Most of the Russian servers, which make up a majority of SA-MP's playerbase right now, don't seem to want the downloading feature

I believe they want to, but they have to learn (mainly blender). Why does it hinder the development of 0.3.DL? If they don't want to, don't use it. We all wish more options to SA-MP. SA-MP dies if there are no new possibilities. Players can choose where to play and play at 0.3.DL servers when 0.3.DL is presented as the official version. The owner's server will have 0.3.DL if you say 0.3.DL is official.

I have 0.3.DL and I built a new map in blender. There are 200 players playing on my server. 0.3.DL is amazing! But SA-MP needs more options.

Quote:
View Post
Most of the Russian servers, which make up a majority of SA-MP's playerbase right now, don't seem to want the downloading feature.
I'm sure they don't want it because they're simply not more aware of it. It was a good move to put DL in the downloads page on the main site but at the end of the day, anyone who goes onto sa-mp.com's front page only sees this.

If they already have 0.3.7 and don't visit the forums, they simply won't know there's another version that allows custom models unless somebody tells them. Besides, I'm pretty sure those russian servers that go under the same name are owned by 1 or few people that only see SA-MP as extra income rather than taking full advantage of what it has to offer and thus it doesn't bother them to change versions.

Basically Kalcor, speaking for all russian samp players, we would really enjoy samp x100 times if you added those features like adding your own models to the game. I don't know much, but I guess the only reason Arizona Role Play(the leading russian roleplay server) are not really sure whether to switch to 0.3DL because new cheats would be developed and theyre not sure if they can handle it. But you could still implement all those features dude, that'd be really nice. Thank you

I'm still waiting for the day when there'll be MORE developers than just one. That'd speed up the development really well.

I support the idea of developing sa-mp 03DL.
I have to keep my project on the Vice City map frozen due to 2 gods:
1) there is no melee damage synchronization Outside the SA map.
2) Outside the map more than 4,500 coordinates are not displayed pick-up.
Place Vice City on the map SA, removing it, I also can not, because there are "holes" between the water zones. How do I develop a server with a new map, if actually 03DL does not allow me to do it fully? I'm not talking about replacing the card on the HUD radar. I have repeatedly heard about the mention of these bugs by other guys for 2 years and I am surprised that such little things can not still be fixed in 03DL R1-2.

I hope you read it, dear kye.