Selling/Buying, Maps/Scripts? Is it legal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV
View Post
You didn\'t code SA-MP API, you couldn\'t create the gamemode without it so you can\'t sell it because you don\'t own the rights to the API.
but isn\'t SA-MP also an unauthorised mod from the perspective of Rockstar Games? it literally sells hosted tab as well, its commercial. the whole thing is technically "illegal".

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3shys
Посмотреть сообщение
but isn't SA-MP also an unauthorised mod from the perspective of Rockstar Games? it literally sells hosted tab as well, its commercial. the whole thing is technically "illegal".
No it's not. SA-MP is a mod that is added to GTA San Andreas. Money don't come from modifying the game itself.
Even if it did, GTA San Andreas doesn't have an online service on its own. Rockstar isn't affected by this at all.

haha its illegal to profit from sa-mp?

sa-mp is illegal in itself, so sell anything you want, but if you're only here to make money, it's not even worth bothering.. go and build an online business/service and make a real income instead..

SA-MP:
"we made the CreateObject code so you can't sell it"

Rockstar Games:

Pizzy posts something.

Nobody:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzy
Посмотреть сообщение
sa-mp is illegal in itself, so sell anything you want, [...]
Looks like you didn't bother to follow the entire discussion. SA-MP is legal in itself.
Do some research before replying to this kind of topic.

not really. sell your work as a """"service"""" and copy n paste the code or map over to them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garr
Посмотреть сообщение
not really. sell your work as a """"service"""" and copy n paste the code or map over to them.
Offering your services is different then selling a pre-created script.

If selling a map is illegal, why don't you just sell the raw coordinates and let your client add the CreateObject with a text editor...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforcez
Посмотреть сообщение
Offering your services is different then selling a pre-created script.
i know, which is why i pointed out the obvious loophole. you can indirectly infer that your script will be involved in the service. ie say you'll code a vehicle management system for them and then copy n paste the one u made in advance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzy
Посмотреть сообщение

sa-mp is illegal in itself, so sell anything you want, but if you're only here to make money, it's not even worth bothering.. go and build an online business/service and make a real income instead..
you're retarded

Quote:
Originally Posted by admantis
Посмотреть сообщение
If selling a map is illegal, why don't you just sell the raw coordinates and let your client add the CreateObject with a text editor...?
You're not allowed to sell the objects or the coordinates. You can offer your services though.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
i know, which is why i pointed out the obvious loophole. you can indirectly infer that your script will be involved in the service. ie say you'll code a vehicle management system for them and then copy n paste the one u made in advance
You're not allowed to sell the code (this includes libraries you use created by THIRD PARTIES with a LICENSE). Your "loophole" is stil not allowed. Offer your services instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y_Less
Посмотреть сообщение
Lying isn't a loophole.
how is offering a streamlined service lying? i'm not selling code directly, i'm exchanging the implementation of it. its up to others to infer a link

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
how is offering a streamlined service lying? i'm not selling code directly, i'm exchanging the implementation of it.
Are people paying for your code?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforcez
Посмотреть сообщение
Are people paying for your code?
no, they're paying for my ability to code. it just so happens i have features i've coded in the past which can be used as a heavy reference

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
As long as you are charging accurately. Your service in that case would be the copying and pasting. At $50/hour, that should net you a nice 80ў.
Yes in Lalaland

If you offer paid scripting service it is definitely legal as you get paid for the hours you spent working for the client or whatever. @Garr you aren't paid for your ability to work, you are paid for the effort you spent doing a specific work which is discussed beforehand with the client.

Your script will definitely include libraries and plugins that the script depends on in order to function properly, the library and plugin owners may not allow redistribution of their work and in this case you cant sell your script as you'll get paid for others' work that you used to complete your script, otherwise, write your own libraries and plugins.

So, it isn't legal to PUBLICLY sell your script, like in this forum, not sure about private payments but if someone is interested in having your script for a discussed amount of cash I feel it's safe/legal to do so as long as you are not redistributing anything, like just sending the .pwn file without including libraries or plugins of any kind.

Nobody:

Pizzy: samp is illegal.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
No, because it is illegal. Unless you wrote 100% of the code (which you didn't because a_samp), you do not have the permission required to sell the script - it isn't yours to sell.
I understand that 100% and back it to an extent. But how can you not sell a script that you've made even if you include open source plugins? A lot of web applications, templates and programs are sold that come packaged with plugins etc that are standalone free.

That's like saying you've made a great custom website using Bootstrap but can't sell it because.... bootstrap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temperr
Посмотреть сообщение
A lot of web applications, templates and programs are sold that come packaged with plugins etc that are standalone free.
That's because their license allows it.