Symmetrical Arched Object Movement

Is anyone able to help me out with the workings for a symmetrical arched type object movement from say point (A) to (B), with the vertex (Z) being half the length between those two points?

I can't seem to grasp the whole concept to be honest and the more trigonometry and algebra based shit I read on the internet the more I become confused and can't think for the life of me, you know.. being an old fart an all lol.

Any help will be very much appreciated, thanks

You could just attach an object to a golf ball then rotate the golf ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******
Посмотреть сообщение
If the z is half the distance then that's a circle, which is very easy: r^2 = z^2 + d^2, where r is your radius (the half length you mentioned), z is the height, and d is the distance traveled horizontally. However, that won't give a very smooth vertical stepping, also, you probably want a parabola, not a circle.

As for speed - do you want gravity to take effect? That would increase the speed going down, and decrease it going up (which implies some initial acceleration to go up). Or is constant speed OK? I said above that a constant horizontal speed would give inconsistent vertical speed, but that might actually be a good thing.
My oath, you do actually explain it so much better than I've been reading it on the internet.. and yes, you're absolutely right, I'm indeed after a parabola.. not a circle at all, so please ignore the part where I said it was half the distance.
As for speed, speed is fine being constant.. the server itself is very low gravity so I feel as though it would really fit the part just fine.

In short I would like to create mortars for a war server I've been working on for many years now, I already have machine turrets and tesla towers in place for player base defense, it just seems a bit naked to me without any mortars as you can imagine and the half circle type movement using floatsin/cos doesn't really do it justice in my opinion.

@Pottus, thats actually brilliant idea mate, not quite what I'm after though.. but thanks for the suggestion all the same