Music Licensing

I'm making a SA-MP server and I intend to use "PlayAudioStreamForPlayer()" function to play mp3 music files on local machine running IIS. I'm a bit worried about music licensing I know little about. I was looking for music in jamendo.com and got confused about which license I should buy. Do I even need a license for legal streaming of music in SA-MP server?

I don't think anyone really cares if you have a license or not. Most servers have radio commands and use music that is probably copyrighted. Like you, I'm not much of an expert on music licensing but this is my opinion on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proxus
View Post
I don't think anyone really cares if you have a license or not. Most servers have radio commands and use music that is probably copyrighted. Like you, I'm not much of an expert on music licensing but this is my opinion on it.
Nah their usage isnt illegal or cared about. Reason being is that they provide a list of radio servers. Then you click on "Nova Pop Top #40". They are still making money through it (their ads constantly play which is why I hate them myself) and have licensed the songs.

if you start playing a TUPAC song on your intro however you are violating copyright laws. though I doubt they will actually pursue you. twitch streamers play music all the time in the background and idk how they get away with it, fair use is very grey.

Well it's debatable let's be honest. Nobody reports them on Twitch but they are actively partnering people who are violating copyright by playing those songs. Twitch staff hang out in their streams, get featured on front page, clips and they probably receive reports. VODs get muted after that's all if it gets detected which often times isn't.

SAMP wise I'd stick to radio stations. I wouldn't play songs globally for each player only sound effects. It's pretty stupid to play some random rap song for your intro or whatever if not everyone will like it. Plus songs being repetitive is how you start to not like them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3shys
View Post
SAMP wise I'd stick to radio stations. I wouldn't play songs globally for each player only sound effects. It's pretty stupid to play some random rap song for your intro or whatever if not everyone will like it. Plus songs being repetitive is how you start to not like them.
Quote:

It's pretty stupid to play some random rap song for your intro or whatever if not everyone will like it

In that case should they be playing GTA? GTA has a lot of music and language a LOT of people probably do not like. If a song is relative to a server and you have licensing then I recommend playing the song, that's what a server is all about (or supposed to be anyways, people like you would rather all servers be the same).

Quote:

Plus songs being repetitive is how you start to not like them.

I've been listening to every station on GTA:SA for years now, every song that plays is just nostalgia. Songs being repetitive encourages learning and memory. :P

-------------------------------------------

Now a question I have... If Rockstar has licensing to all of the radio music on the game, would we be allowed to stream these songs to the server legally? Like say I downloaded each song from GTA:SA and made it streamable to the server... would that be illegal since the game already has the licensing? We wouldn't necessarily be ripping it from the game or anything like that. I'm just a bit unclear here myself, I assume the answer resolves around no and maybe but worth the ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crayder
View Post
I've been listening to every station on GTA:SA for years now, every song that plays is just nostalgia. Songs being repetitive encourages learning and memory. :P
Yeah, none of the songs from the GTA series are repetetive (atleast not for me). It's nostalgic and I love them all.

(I was going to respond to Crayder's quote on the radio thing, but meh.)

Rockstar has the licenses, you don't automatically inherit them. This mod was never authorised, if you (even indirectly) fuck up Rockstar's image they can also sue you at any time just for running a SAMP server. And yes, Rockstar never made an online but you're profiting off of their work regardless through copyright infringement, you're profiting off their code, work you never got licensed to use.

Though obviously that's more paranoid than anything. I still think it's pointless and stupid. Repetition is not good for songs themselves anyway, one way most of us lose a favourite song is by overplaying it to death. This is why a lot of servers don't ask this question.

The other side is people going around with nulled forums, so they don't give a fuck about Tupac Hit Em Up intro in game

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3shys
View Post
Rockstar has the licenses, you don't automatically inherit them. This mod was never authorised, if you (even indirectly) fuck up Rockstar's image they can also sue you at any time just for running a SAMP server. And yes, Rockstar never made an online but you're profiting off of their work regardless through copyright infringement, you're profiting off their code, work you never got licensed to use.
Sir, we're not discussing any mod or anything. We're talking about streaming music. At this point, nobody gives a shit what infringing things this mod does to the game. "fuck up Rockstar's image... we've done nothing but make them look better, in fact I'm literally encouraging that we use the music from the game (which YOU are going against).

If a server feels the power to play music, that's what they're gonna do. They don't give a shit about a single player's opinion about their taste in music when the rest of the players appreciate it.