Lost the patience

Hi, so today, im bringing another one of my problems but fortunately it is related to coding and SA-MP, back when i learnt coding i was motivated to write new scripts and somehow i used to carry the same motivation till the very end of the projects. But now the problem is i'm too lazy and i lost patience to code. I lose motivation before even starting the project. How do you guys write all those lengthy gamemodes and filterscripts without getting tired? I have that habit of leaving things half done.

Remember why you started.

I left samp but come back to code during my exam days.

Sounds like your project isn't exciting enough. Make it exciting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baboon
View Post
Sounds like your project isn't exciting enough. Make it exciting.
alot of fun projects came in my mind like the murder mode in gmod but i didn't even bother starting that.

When I was younger around 16-17, I couldn't wait to get home from school and start doing(coding) something. I did ten things at once and every month i was doing something and it was fun. Today, I'm almost 20 and I have no interest as before, simple I lost interested. Sometimes I do something for the owner of one server but it's all small projects not even the 500 lines of the code.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K0P
View Post
alot of fun projects came in my mind like the murder mode in gmod but i didn't even bother starting that.
Might sound like a hella fun mode, but is it challenging? Would it make you scratch your head at times?
Doubt it does.

Things I've made in the past:
- Call of Duty gamemode, with maps that were similar to the real thing, and many killstreaks. Using basic math to for example create the AC-130 killstreak. (click if you're interested)

- One Piece for SA-MP, using pirateships, islands etc. Including canons, damage control and also custom attacks.

Now I'm doing something new since years that inspired me to apply my Mechanical Engineering experience. E.g. I can create trebuchets using real dynamics, and now I'm trying to create a 'space' server.

It's all about challenging yourself. What you create should be fun, not in general, but something you like doing.

Set a goal or an objective that you want to achieve and you'll not leave anything undone.

If you're making a script, you are making it for your server, you will get some interest and motivation that will lead you to make nice things.

If you're a paid coder, focus on what you'd spend the money on, like something you need in your life, and you'll finish the project without any loss of interest.

You're listening to the wrong music

A way to go around completing a project is to launch/code it in gradual steps. You work on the basics first then you gradually move up the ladder taking on complex stuff. Also, If you burn yourself out in the first few days, your project may never see completion. It's about punctuality and consistency rather than just going full ham on an idea which pops in your mind.

It's simple, if you don't have the tolerance to finish it then get out, if you're not into it, it's simple, don't do it, that's why i stopped working on everything that i had to do but didn't want to do, that always left everything half-completed.

If you're actually into scripting then work on unique stuff, maybe things that were never made before, that's how i have the tolerance nowadays to work on something til the end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueDrifter
View Post
It's simple, if you don't have the tolerance to finish it then get out, if you're not into it, it's simple, don't do it
Sorry but that seems a bit out of place for me..
if we would just give it up everytime we feel out of place,not into something, nothing would've been acheived.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueDrifter
View Post
that's why i stopped working on everything that i had to do but didn't want to do, that always left everything half-completed
There's always a link between the things you have to do and the things you want to do.
what always left everything half-completed is the lack of consistence , dedication to the thing you are trying to do,
its probably nothing but a bad habit of procrastination or simply being unwilling to act for what you want that can also be fixed with good habits of workethics and repetition towards improvments
basically nobody is born into something, its just that we keep seeing reflections of an idea till we get used to it, and eventually like it . some fit people started with a non-fit body and probably hated sports, but they kept doing it anyways till it became a lifestyle that they appreciate, same applies to everything

You're missing one of two things or both combined.
1) Fun:
Ask yourself, once this is completed will I enjoy doing it with myself?
If I noticed this on a different server, would it catch my attention and make me want to create a version of it?
Is the progress I'm making maintaining the same level of excitement as I imagined?
2) Challenge:
Are you creating things you've done over and over again, and could probably write line for line on a page of notebook paper?
Are you having trouble in some areas and needing to do research for the best course of action?
Do you ask peers for help with particular situations or advice on how to go about something?
If the answer to all of that is no, then you're not learning anymore. You're simply maintaining knowledge you already have without expanding anymore.

Personally when I get bored with a project I ask what I could learn that I don't know already know how to do fairly well. At the moment I'm learning databases, and the best method of using them with mySQL.
Along with learning how to communicate my player CP with my in-game database.

Don't focus only on scripting/coding/playing, drink coco cola and take some rest.

Coca Cola is bad for human health if you drink too much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RANGER44
View Post
Don't focus only on scripting/coding/playing, drink coco cola and take some rest.
Yeah man don't focus on wasting your time, focus on destroying yourself.

Get some friends with you and start working together, i had the same issue before because i always was closed in myself, never trusted anyone but i was wrong, if you get people who got cool ideas, people who inspire you then you will never give up.
If somebody is asking to help you, don't ignore him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConnorW
View Post
Get some friends with you and start working together, i had the same issue before because i always was closed in myself, never trusted anyone but i was wrong, if you get people who got cool ideas, people who inspire you then you will never give up.
If somebody is asking to help you, don't ignore him.
yeah, and then get your gamemode leaked

ot: make a complete detailed list of what you want to do or the features you want to add. that way you can finish coding stuff slowly in your free time or when you're bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerruv
View Post
yeah, and then get your gamemode leaked
I didn't mean friends like you

You're listening to the wrong music