[Tutorial] "Goes To" operator: -->

Goes To
Just a brief tutorial to tell people about the “goes to” operator: -->. The arrow design is to show it goes towards the number, thus it decrements a variable until it reaches zero, and can be used in loops to loop a number of times. Mainly the while loop:

Code:
new i = 10;
while (i --> 0)
{
    printf("%d", i);
}
Will print:

Note that 10 is not included, while 0 is. This makes it like normal loops, but backwards.

You can loop over players backwards with:

Code:
for (new i = MAX_PLAYERS; i --> 0; )
{
}
Technically you can go down to any value:

Code:
new j = 10;
while (j --> 5) {}
And yes, if you haven’t figured it out yet, this isn’t actually a new operator. It is two operators (-- and >) with odd spacing. That last example would be more normally written as:

Code:
new j = 10;
while (j-- > 5) {}
I first saw this here: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...-operator-in-c so though I’d write it here. It is stupid, don't use it...

Interesting

A little stupid but interesting, thank you!

Would it be possible to make with this a some kind of 'countdown' without using the timers or whatever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunud
View Post
Would it be possible to make with this a some kind of 'countdown' without using the timers or whatever.
What? It's just normal looping behaviour with a stranger syntax.

Weird, though interesting.

Indeed interesting!

Nice.

Now I'll always omit spaces between an operator and a comparator to make it look like I found a new operator!

We should call them "comperator".

Still nice find, since it's the only combination that looks like what it actually does.

Weird but interesting

It took me longer to realize it wasn't some new introduced operator, really interesting and I bet there could be multiple cases of the same trick.

I've been looking for this months ago.

*jejak*