Running a server on a personal PC

So guys I finished my roleplay server and I want to make it online. I'm expecting more than 100 players since I know many people and I have been testing my server with a forwarded port and there are 100+ registered users on it. My question is if I should get myself a host or is it fine to let it run on my personal internet and PC?

PC specs:

CPU: Intel core i5 3,4GHz quadcore
RAM: 8gb of 1600MHz DDR3
GPU(not important but whatever): AMD radeon R7 240 2GB of GDDR3(it sucks)

Internet specs:

Download Speed: 125MBit (~15MByte)
Upload Speed: 20MBit (~2,5MByte)
Ping: 7ms

I'm currently hosting my server in Austria (Europe) and people from Balkan States (Also Europe) have a ping of approximately 60ms, but I'm not sure how it's going to run with more than 100 people connected in the same time. So should I try to run it on my PC and see how it goes or should I just buy a host?

Buy a host

As Dignity said, Buy a host.

> expects 100 players
> decides to host it on his pc

Buy a host.

Better buy a host, or you'll be DDOS'ed by badguys

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRastion
View Post
Better buy a host, or you'll be DDOS'ed by badguys
Seriously dude?

Apart from that, you have run your system 24/7 which is not a good idea.. obviously if you want your server up 24/7.

If you want host, we can offer host for free if your not expecting donations, and some advertising, contact GameZone on ******** or discord

https://discord.gg/UaZMTdW
https://www.********.com/GameZoneMalta

or send us an email on
gamezonemalta@gmail.com

Please note that you'll be having access to the server with a control panel.

Get high level hosting for better performance rather than personal computer.Check the host configuration before buying one.

I can offer you a host if you want. contact me if interested

I'd personally suggest that you purchase a reliable host from an vps hosting administrator or hosting organisation. There are advantages and disadvantages with using both platforms to host your server(s).

Hosting on a PC

Advantages
1. You can host how much servers you want, without paying.
2. You don't have to worry about having a low financial status.
3. You can have multiple ports forwarded on your router, to be used for other game servers (which doesn't actually relate to this topic), because it's yours.

Disadvantages
1. If you were to have some sort of power failure (which rarely happens in some countries, especially the USA), your PC will be turned off and some persons/players can lose interest in joining your server.
2. Your PC can be damaged if it's kept running 24/7. You stated that you're guaranteed to have 100 players, so it's a risky chance to take.

Hosting your server on a host

Advantages
1. Your server won't be closed or attacked (most hosts are DDoS protected), unless the hosting admin has a fault on their end.
2. You can go to sleep at night or work during the day, knowing that you haven't left your computer running. Some PCs get overheated, so I'm just offering a suggestion to you.

Disadvantages
1. Your scripts can be at risk. Not all host providers and admins are trustworthy. It's a fact that some of them do make backup copies for your safety, so if you were to face an unexpected error, they'll be like "Don't worry, customer service's got your back!".
2. Some hosts might be a little expensive, but if you truly believe that your community will make it a long way through (similarly to the well known ls-rp), then you can surely make an investment, but it's all up to you.

(I suggest that you purchase a 'dedicated vps'. I can't think of any other advantages or disadvantages of those two platforms, but if you guys have any, lemme know down in the comments, and quote this comment so I can keep updating it. Merry Xmas.)