SA-MP Source Code Leaked

The point is what samp is still active after 13 years (and growing).
I do not think any current multiplayer game last that long, imagine GTA Online after 13 years, I don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by userid
View Post
I do not think any current multiplayer game last that long, imagine GTA Online after 13 years, I don't think so.
SA-MP is one of the oldiest online game

Quote:
Originally Posted by userid
View Post
Other then World of Warcraft, I can't think of any online games that are still going strong after 13+ years. And people constantly asking for updates, they will come just have some patience.

Yea, and still pretty huge, at least in my country, - I would say more popular than ever, and I don't think this is going to change any time soon, well not for at least 4-5 more years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforcez
View Post
Other then World of Warcraft, I can't think of any online games that are still going strong after 13+ years. And people constantly asking for updates, they will come just have some patience.
(Oldschool) RuneScape & Habbo Hotel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignity
View Post
(Oldschool) RuneScape & Habbo Hotel
RuneScape! Totally forgot about that one, you're right!

Aaand nothing of value was lost. RW-MP was a combination of MTA and SA-MP source code anyway, with a Imgui graphical interface, instead of Microsoft's DXUT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neavorce
View Post
Aaand nothing of value was lost. RW-MP was a combination of MTA and SA-MP source code anyway, with a Imgui graphical interface, instead of Microsoft's DXUT.
The real problem with RW-MP was removing the copyrights etc. The SAMP Android uses leaked SA-MP source (probably where the ImGui mods came from) and I haven't done anything because they don't misrepresent the source of the files.

In summertime, our love is sweet, like daisies floating in the breeze.
In wintertime, our love is warm — it tingles from fingers to toes.

If skies are blue, our love is joy — two people laughing in the sun.
If thunder rolls our love is calm, a refuge from the whirling rain.

When spring flowers bloom, our love is bold, like red petals on the rose.
When autumn leaves fall, our love is gold, shining bright like a harvest moon.

From Valentine's Day till Christmas our love will continue to grow.
From season to season I love you always! My one, my only, my Kalcor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcor
View Post
The real problem with RW-MP was removing the copyrights etc. The SAMP Android uses leaked SA-MP source (probably where the ImGui mods came from) and I haven't done anything because they don't misrepresent the source of the files.
Hello Kalcor, I am developer of ReSA:MP project: https://github.com/NarutoUA/resamp-client

I've been involved in sa-mp modding for ~5 years and fixed a huge amount of bugs and provided a lot of client improvements. So I got bored of using patches and hooks (even more, there are a lot of issues that cant be fixed by patching memory). At some moment I realised that it would be easier to rewrite (update leaked [sad, but true] sources to current version) the whole SA:MP client/server and started this (ReSA:MP) project.

At the moment I have working and compatible with original SA:MP 0.3.7 client + server. I also achieved a huge perfomance improvement by replacing some code with optimized one (mainly text rendering). I don't have a purpose to monetize this project and compete with SA:MP, just want to provide to the community better experience.

I would like to know your opinion on that since I have doubts on releasing source codes (I'll definitely leave original copyrights then).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarutoUA
View Post
Hello Kalcor, I am developer of ReSA:MP project: https://github.com/NarutoUA/resamp-client

I've been involved in sa-mp modding for ~5 years and fixed a huge amount of bugs and provided a lot of client improvements. So I got bored of using patches and hooks (even more, there are a lot of issues that cant be fixed by patching memory). At some moment I realised that it would be easier to rewrite (update leaked [sad, but true] sources to current version) the whole SA:MP client/server and started this (ReSA:MP) project.

At the moment I have working and compatible with original SA:MP 0.3.7 client + server. I also achieved a huge perfomance improvement by replacing some code with optimized one (mainly text rendering). I don't have a purpose to monetize this project and compete with SA:MP, just want to provide to the community better experience.

I would like to know your opinion on that since I have doubts on releasing source codes (I'll definitely leave original copyrights then).
I bet you'd have a lot of support from the community ( but not all of them as usual ), hopefully Kalcor takes your reply seriously rather than making another 30 pages of drama about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforcez
View Post
Same opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouHack
View Post
I bet you'd have a lot of support from the community ( but not all of them as usual ), hopefully Kalcor takes your reply seriously rather than making another 30 pages of drama about it.
You are desperately looking for attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k1nG
View Post
You are desperately looking for attention
thanks, but that's not the issue here.

Just a viewpoint from another similar project developer.

I'm a lead dev of a project aimed to revive certain game since it was shut down back in 2013. Open sourcing a project was never considered the option (unless we get shutdown, DMCAd, C&Dd), just because the downsides in my opinion are bigger than upsides (splitting into multiple communities, each running their own version, not crediting work, people not knowing what they're doing but acting all smart, etc.). However, we did "invest" time and effort into hiring skilled developers, which obviously pushed as a lot more.

The main problem here I see is lack of commitment and working hands. Don't get me wrong, kudos to Kalcor and all involved developers that worked/work/will work on this. I know that sometimes it is hard to be motivated, especially when the community is as diverse as this one. However, I can not understand why there is absolutely no space to apply as a developer. The approach I took for my project is: person applies -> meeting arranged -> talk about and with the applicant -> give him an entry test (in form of reversing a small part of the game and creating a simple specific client-server implementation). This worked so well so far, that most of the developers I recruited are present and working on the project even today and turned out to be exactly as good as they described when applying (which was only confirmed by an entry test). It's easy to filter out people who are in just to snatch your code, and the ones that truly are skilled.

Conclusion: do not open source the project, however create a space for other interested developers to help you out meet deadlines and consequently speed up the development and release cycles.

--

Back to the topic, if my code for the project I'm part of were to be stolen, I'd be devastated because I spent over 3 years on working on it and perfecting it just for someone to steal and leak it. Can't imagine how I would've felt if the 3 years were 13, and not 3.

Best of luck in future development!

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouHack
View Post
thanks, but that's not the issue here.
Lol you didn't write "rather than" in your last post

thank you rw-rp for waking up sleeping bear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarutoUA
View Post

I don't think you'll be able to accomplish what you think you can simply by reverse engineering SA-MP's code. If it's so easy to improve upon what I've done, why bother reverse engineering it? Just rewrite it from scratch.

It sounds similar to what RW-MP were trying to do, and they had 0 players after 3 releases. The whole endeavour could be a complete waste of time.

But who knows? Maybe you're someone who is super talented and knows everything SA-MP needs to make it better. I have been working on GTA MP mods from the beginning. I've seen things nobody else will ever see.

A lot of the complaints on this forum about bugs and lack of updates are overblown. Some people are OCD and want every tiny little bug fixed, but then 99% of players don't even notice. If SA-MP was a buggy mess, the real result would be that nobody would play it.

I will say that if such a project didn't mispresent the source of the original files, I'm very unlikely to try and shut it down. As long as everyone plays fair there are always ways of working things out. A line has to be drawn at credits being removed, code being obfuscated etc.

Why didn't .DL get obfuscated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [HLF]Southclaw
View Post
Was there any reason why obfuscation wasn't used in earlier releases?
It always is. But they can update in about 3-6 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0sh...
View Post
Why didn't .DL get obfuscated?
It's basically just a beta release. It's the same files as 0.3.8 RC4 or something.