What is the point?

So. One or two weeks ago, one player tried to advertise on my server his, or someone else's server by typing the IP address, but he failed due to the server anti-ad. system and his message did not appear in the public chatbox, but I banned him anyway for an attempt. Today he was back (probably changed his IP, in order to be able to join the game) and used a different tactic to advertise. This time he advertised like that:

1**.
2**.
3**.
4**:
7777, "join this awesome server with nice features and bla-bla-bla.

And I was like, meh.. Alright, let's go check his ''cool'' server with ''nice features". When I saw the server, I didn't even bother to join it once I saw in it's tittle "ultra-h.." with 20 player slots. The server also used a very well known gamemode, but I couldn't care less about that.

Next thing what I was going to check, is their website. My god.. I was a bit confused, because they used the very similiar template like sa-mp.com is currently using. Well, atcually it was looking exactly the same like sa-mp.com and in the beginning I thought, maybe they just provide a quick access to a website, from where you can download sa-mp app, but no..

Also the website's domain was awful, because it was one of those free domains, like 000webhost and it was obvious, that webhosting was also a free service from the same host company.

In the end of this story I wan to ask a question. What is the point in running a server/community, if you have financial problems? That you cannot afford a server, webhost and domain. Don't they really understand, that it will not attract interested people? Well, kids maybe, because they would stay only for a staff position and VIP.

They keep getting their admin applications rejected on serious projects so they decide to make their own, One out of a hundred learns from that small experience and turns the trash community he founded into a better one, The rest remains the same they keep using released scripts with free hosts until they realize they're just wasting their time and give up.

Thousands of players, and hundreds of servers are there. Are they enough for all of the players? Yes.

But do all these players fit there? No.

Why? Because they aren't "fit" to the environment of the community, because to them, what a community is all about is just getting administrators and "getting famous." After they have failed to fit there, they do anything to achieve their goal - Whether it's running free server(s) or doing copy-pasta scripting.

Or, sometimes its to just have that experience of running a community where you're called an Executive Administrator in a community which closes after 2 days because your Lead Administrator has opened another Roleplay community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******
Посмотреть сообщение
Big servers have to start somewhere.
Can't agree more, every server always starts with 1 person

About 3 years ago, i ran a completely free server with my own gamemode and a free host, free website (domain, forums etc...) and all.
I was surprised, i got a playerbase of 6-7 in 2 weeks. (literally there used to be atleast 7 players peak everyday.

Unfortunately the host shutdown and i lost my progress.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
I agree as well, but I'm not gonna go morally bankrupt just to be in charge of a community.
Most of these people don't understand what it takes to build up a community. It's just as Logic_ said.
They assume it's all about getting the power, influence and respect. They don't understand the work you have to put in.
If they would understand it, most of them wouldn't disrespect someone else's work.

Everyone of us wanted to own a successful community.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
Am I really the only one noticing the sarcasm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GangstaSunny.
Посмотреть сообщение
Am I really the only one noticing the sarcasm?
It's your lsd

I guess nobody would quit a nice server to join a random one that some random dude shared.
Forbidding it would just make it another headache to treat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaryM4Life
Посмотреть сообщение
They keep getting their admin applications rejected on serious projects so they decide to make their own, One out of a hundred learns from that small experience and turns the trash community he founded into a better one, The rest remains the same they keep using released scripts with free hosts until they realize they're just wasting their time and give up.
Am i wasting time if im gonna use free host for the script im making from scratch?

Quote:

What is the point in running a server/community, if you have financial problems?

He just wants to play sa-mp with some people online, there's no one rule that says you have to have money to able to run a sa-mp server and play sa-mp. Try to think outside of your shell sometimes and you will answer your question yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark™
Посмотреть сообщение
He just wants to play sa-mp with some people online, there's no one rule that says you have to have money to able to run a sa-mp server and play sa-mp. Try to think outside of your shell sometimes and you will answer your question yourself.
Of course that person can play sa-mp with some people online and I'm not like forcing him to quit playing sa-mp or anything, only because he doesn't have money to be able to run a sa-mp server professionally. Because you see, there are two reasons for what purpose someone would run a sa-mp server. First one is to run a sa-mp server just for fun, where you could invite your friends etc. Doesn't matter what gamemode, downloaded or scripted from scratch. Second, is to run a sa-mp server with a goal to gain a huge player-base. Using the gamemode scripted from scratch and building up a serious community.

Why would first option come to my server and advertise someone else's server? When they don't want to try to gain popularity with huge player-base and community. If that person really "wants to play sa-mp with some people online", then I would highly recommend him to use a different method to find these people.

Quote:

run a sa-mp server professionally

Running sa-mp server is not a profession, better yet running a game-server is not a profession. So he doesn't have to be a professional.

Quote:

First one is to run a sa-mp server just for fun, where you could invite your friends etc. Doesn't matter what gamemode, downloaded or scripted from scratch.

Yes, that's it. That's what he wants.

Quote:

Why would first option come to my server and advertise someone else's server? When they don't want to try to gain popularity with huge player-base and community. If that person really "wants to play sa-mp with some people online", then I would highly recommend him to use a different method to find these people.

because he's a kid and he was lonely since no one was playing on his server, so he found a super duper server with players of yours and thought, "hey lemme spam some and get some players quick"..Dude just ban him and let it go, don't overthink it.

Most of these ultra-h and .tk " communities" arise with the sheer ambition of becoming successful like the big servers which have over 100 players most of the times. Kids who play at these major gaming communities dream of opening a community for themselves....without the hard work or necessary skills required to do so. Hence a gaming "community" which is nothing but a failed attempt is born. Now the question, are they really to be blamed? to some extent, yes, but they're nothing more 14 y/os with an ambition. When the hard reality hits them that they actually need to put in a lot of time, effort and money to run a community and that too without a guarantee of success, they eventually give up.

reading these replies makes me facepalm so hard, and cringe so badly.

how does one community gain visitors without any kind of advertisement? how did foco gaming become popular? you tell me.

Are you braindead or autistic or both? Advertising is not spamming server ip in other communities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuddlee
Посмотреть сообщение
Are you braindead or autistic or both? Advertising is not spamming server ip in other communities.
I think both.

In all seriousness, you just described the manner of "advertising".

Player x goes to server y, meets player z and decides 'this guy is quite chill, i bet if i advertise my server here, i can get some players'. Player x advertises server i. Server i gets players. Player x successfully advertised his server on server y.

This is absolutely not what the thread is about, we're talking about kids spamming invites in the global chat and that too of a server which is hosted on free host and is a script from the gamemode section of samp forums. To add to it, the owners don't even know how to code and quite frankly that's not an ideal example of a server trying to "advertise" the right way

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSharp
Посмотреть сообщение
reading these replies makes me facepalm so hard, and cringe so badly.

how does one community gain visitors without any kind of advertisement? how did foco gaming become popular? you tell me.
are you an lsrp player? because you keep mentioning foco. foco isnt shit and has never been shit

lsrp hosted most of the godfather pb when it was going downhill which caused some popularity. years after, foco was made, mostly with the intent of farming money. thats also why it died last year