Screenshots & Videos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcor
Посмотреть сообщение
I've been on the internet since mid-90's. I came out of the UFO/conspiracy crowd. Sites like abovetopsecret are older than Goggle. We're not big fans of internet censorship.

SA-MP was started in 2005. I'm too old to play SA-MP now. I don't want to be playing games on servers where everyone is younger than me. I keep this site online since people still want to play. The mod could be developed further but I have to rely on feedback from English server owners, and those servers aren't being developed as much anymore. GTA:SA is getting old.

People tried to say I'm censoring like utube/goggle. The difference is that utube is hosting platform, and this is a private forum. The SA-MP forum is more like a utube channel. I support channel owners right to block any commenter or links they want. If you censor from the host level, it has a chilling effect on the entire internet.

We were given permission by R* North to create MP mods for the GTA3 series. But I don't think anyone, including them, thought these mods could go on for so long. I think they'd prefer MP mods die off and players move over to GTA:O. That's why I'm not handing this mod over to someone else.

SA-MP is on the home stretch. Everyone knows it.
Everyone hates censorship, this is only a multiplayer community and is not related to politics or SJWs at all, so that's not an excuse.

Like you said, no one can stop servers from running, not even you. So R* is not an issue.

If you really care about this, you could have posted a discussion first before doing whatever you want, and explain why do you really want to block it or remove the Screenshots / Videos board. Because after all, this community is ran by its members. You'll have to respect their opinions before yours. And I believe, someone would have provided a way much better solution than censorship.

The community aside, everyone knows SAMP is dying, but that doesn't mean you should abandon it, if you don't trust anyone else enough to let him maintain it, then you do it - at least before its completely dead like other GTA mp mods.

Mhhh

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
I've been on the internet since mid-90's. I came out of the UFO/conspiracy crowd. Sites like abovetopsecret are older than Goggle. We're not big fans of internet censorship.

SA-MP was started in 2005. I'm too old to play SA-MP now. I don't want to be playing games on servers where everyone is younger than me. I keep this site online since people still want to play. The mod could be developed further but I have to rely on feedback from English server owners, and those servers aren't being developed as much anymore. GTA:SA is getting old.

People tried to say I'm censoring like utube/goggle. The difference is that utube is hosting platform, and this is a private forum. The SA-MP forum is more like a utube channel. I support channel owners right to block any commenter or links they want. If you censor from the host level, it has a chilling effect on the entire internet.

We were given permission by R* North to create MP mods for the GTA3 series. But I don't think anyone, including them, thought these mods could go on for so long. I think they'd prefer MP mods die off and players move over to GTA:O. That's why I'm not handing this mod over to someone else.

SA-MP is on the home stretch. Everyone knows it.
You're not the only person in the world who's been on the internet since the mid-90's, but you are in actual fact the only person currently on this topic that's acting like a fucking four year old and throwing their dummy out of the pram.

You're doing exactly what utube is doing.

I'd block utube/goggle on any site I run. I think that answers the question.

In order to post comments on utube, you need an account, and in order to get an account you need to give them your phone number.

How would you guys feel if I started asking for your phone number to post on SA-MP forum?

What about requiring phone number to play SA-MP? lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by [HLF]Southclaw
Посмотреть сообщение
How about re-opening a "Screenshots" only section?
I'd second that.

Edit: I removed my rant.

I'm just going to accept the fact that the services are censored here, but it doesn't mean I like it.
And I still question whether it was necessary to remove the media section like you did.

Get your intentions straight and let someone take care of the community

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение

In order to post comments on utube, you need an account, and in order to get an account you need to give them your phone number.

How would you guys feel if I started asking for your phone number to post on SA-MP forum?

Sorry, you are wrong here. You can create an account on utube without entering the phone number, its optional. I just tested it.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение

Wow, congratulations

You know SAMP is just a mod right? not a big deal. 1e100's policy of requiring a phone number is great ( for me ) because there will be less ( not 100% but the most ) bot accounts in their platform

It's their product and I bet themselves are nothing without their customers, and same applies here

Oh and don't forget to block g-drive links too.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение

This is a very good idea. I think that with this approach people will stop creating fake accounts, and there will be fewer cheaters in the game.

CRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZY

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение

I think phone number is optional, I have ****** accounts without phone number asociated
Anyway is like an email, its very easy create a fake phonenumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ******
Посмотреть сообщение
There are still many people who want to play, and many people who believe there is still life in the mod. There are other people qualified to take over and run things, even within the original vision and limitations of the mod. The two of us discussed this years ago and I wasn’t willing/able to at the time - but things change and I regret that decision.

Plus there is all the Russian community that is still going strong. I know you don’t have much interaction with that side, but again other people do - they are there and crying out for updates.

I know we’ve never been close, but I think I’ve proven myself more than capable and dedicated (minor hiccups excluded). On the other hand, if you want “anyone but me”, at least make it someone - I can think of a list of capable people off the top of my head to run things. If you don’t want to continue, that’s fine. No-one expects anyone to keep doing the same thing forever, but please don’t pull everything else down with you (like I did, it was a mistake).
This.

I've always been very passionate about your mod and a lot of other people as well. If Rockstar North really had any concerns against this mod, they would already have been voiced.

It's no surprise that you want to throw in the towel, Kalcor, after all you've been investing your time for years on the end. Nobody blames you for being bored of it but at least give someone else the chance to continue it.

Ok it's settled then, Y_Less will run SA-MP?

Y_Less for President.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
There are still many people who want to play, and many people who believe there is still life in the mod. There are other people qualified to take over and run things, even within the original vision and limitations of the mod. The two of us discussed this years ago and I wasn’t willing/able to at the time - but things change and I regret that decision.

Plus there is all the Russian community that is still going strong. I know you don’t have much interaction with that side, but again other people do - they are there and crying out for updates.

I know we’ve never been close, but I think I’ve proven myself more than capable and dedicated (minor hiccups excluded). On the other hand, if you want “anyone but me”, at least make it someone - I can think of a list of capable people off the top of my head to run things. If you don’t want to continue, that’s fine. No-one expects anyone to keep doing the same thing forever, but please don’t pull everything else down with you (like I did, it was a mistake).
Exactly, but think of the projects that are "Open Source" how much that's actually been done because of it; I mean Unreal Engine 4, there's a lot of features that have been included, improved and optimised because of the community a community that know's what it wants...

Now I'm not saying that SA-MP is UE4, but it sure as hell would benefit in the long term if people who knew what they were doing could contribute directly... Even if said source was locked out for a period of time to a set of people like yourself who've proved they've been able to build upon what's already there; Then in the future opened up for those who wish to contribute directly..

But that's purely my two-cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [HLF]Southclaw
Посмотреть сообщение
I wholeheartedly agree. I've said for years that SA:MP is a fantastic platform for introducing people to the basics of programming, and I've seen many younger people start, learn and progress in software development just because of SA:MP.

People here still care enough to carry on what you started. I personally don't care how you run your forum and websites, none of that bothers me in the slightest because you're well within your right to do so. What does bother me is the sentiment that "SA:MP is dying" which has been echoed for years and never really been realised.
Its not dying, but its fading; No-where near as much as people think... English communities (at-least those starting) aren't as prevalent as they used to be; but that's expected at-least with mods like GTA:MP/Five:MP etc coming into the spot light... But its not like people who've been around for years are just going to up and leave for those mods (Especially when the framework for common stuff isn't around or built upon yet).

Hell I'm still working on stuff because I feel like it; Its a break from work and a break from my day to day stuff... Regardless of how many people are playing we need updates and we need reasons for people to continue doing what they love; Or at-least provide a way to grow a community from the ground up.. Hell its something that should've been thought about years back.

Its not about open sourcing but let some trusted people like Y_Less be in the team to improve it.

To be completely honest, I just think it's selfish to block popular media sharing websites or refuse to open-source or hand the project over to someone else after yourself admitting it's dying. Anyone here could count thousands of players who still have a passion for samp and it's just ignorant to say we're not worth developing a script.

Why not just hand it over? You've admitted you're not interested anymore, everyone wants updates but we haven't had one in ages. I'm pretty sure we were still on 0.3 all the way back in 2010, and even then all we got was a,b,c,d,e then x and z.

On-topic:
What most people don't get is SA:MP (the mod, the website & everything) is solely owned by Kalcor, he wrote it himself and updated it year after year, he owns the code and it must feel special for him to own it. You should imagine the scenario where you are working on the same project for over 10 years, no wonder for such an old game, you might get bored & sick of all the problems you face within the years, yeah sure, Kalcor got some people to own great servers and have hundreds of thousands playing, but at the end of the day it is his forum, it is his mod, it is his code. You can't force someone who solely owns something to do something you want. If he wants to let it die without releasing or giving the code to someone it's his choice, when a great platform anywhere shuts down they don't usually give away the source code. You are free to run servers or use the current versions, you'll always have that choice, but you can't force someone to work on updates for his own made mod just because you want that.

NB.: Yeah we know Kalcor makes money out of SA:MP and he always did, but you are playing it for years right? You get to own a server with the mod, right? He deserves it as someone who has maintained this community for quite so long. (Yet, you are not forced to pay for anything.)

NB.: He is also free to censor some websites because he disagrees with their agenda, this doesn't affect the gameplay you were provided, it's a forum that he owns. He might be correct about some points made about various websites, he is free to express his denial for their actions on his own website. I just see it as a way of expressing your free of speech right, just as (them)tube might treat you like a piece of garbage and just a source of information you are free to do the same with your own community by just stopping them.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение

Why don't you BOTH develop this mod together? The community is still standing strong - the only reason why it has fell weak in the recent 1-2 years is the communication gap with Kalcor and the team.

And yes, we beg you, Kalcor. Please don't close this mod. We still play it because we love it - After all, it gave us great experiences and memories.

Regards.

Yes!

cg Y'Less, welcome back