Ads: An Interesting Idea

Hey there.

So obviously, no server is running for free: even on your own computer (lol), you are paying for electricity.

Donator packages are nice and all, but not every player can afford such packages.

I'm not sure if anyone would want to develop something like this, but on Minecraft (another lol) there's a plugin called Adventurize, which displays text advertisements and pays you for each player online that the as is displayed to. It's non-instrusive.

If you want to take this idea, feel free and make money from it! I'm sure you can find advertisers by giving them free credit vouchers or something. Getting the server owners should be pretty easy from SAMP forums.

The only issue would be validation. The Russian servers have 600 bots each, though I'm not sure if they're coming from the same IP or how they even do it.

What are your thoughts on something like this? In my opinion, it's incentives SAMP servers to focus on the players and have them be active, not only through improving the current standards, but be innovative and create new gamemodes without the need to consider donations or pay to win.

Pretty sure that it only pays you for clicks not players online. Thing about minecraft is you can click links in game and it opens your browser. Not sure if that works in samp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozm8ey
Посмотреть сообщение
Pretty sure that it only pays you for clicks not players online. Thing about minecraft is you can click links in game and it opens your browser. Not sure if that works in samp
That would be dependent on the service, but it could go both ways. For example, on TV, they are paid just to display the advertisement. You could send each player their own shortened unique URL to enter in their browser, or pay a lower amount, based on the ad served per X users who all have different IP addresses. The link idea would obviously be a short link because it's not going to have millions of pre-shortened links (they'd expire after 24 hours or so, SAMP playerbase isn't massive either) and also, if the link comes with a 10% discount they are likely going to click it.

It depends on the service more than anything.

There are also alternatives for donation packages, survey walls such as Adgate which is commonly used in mobile aps (which are more complicated to set up) and crypto mining (not involuntarily, the user joins the pool through their browser for each $ a $ towards a donation package). I don't think mining is a good idea because even with average hardware you need to put a lot of hours in due to how competitive it is, which could have an impact on the user's hardware, as it encourages them to mine and they could end up frying their own GPU.

So it's not enough to be annoyed by them when browsing.
Mobile games are flooded with them as well, you wanna put them in PC games as well?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeLiOn_PrImE
Посмотреть сообщение
So it's not enough to be annoyed by them when browsing.
Mobile games are flooded with them as well, you wanna put them in PC games as well?
Not sure what you're on about, you can't really disrupt the player experience through SAMP because you can't display anything other than text and a message box would disrupt gameplay so that would never be included.

If you're annoyed by text adverts, then I don't know what to say to you.

Then I hope someone will make a SAMP_AdBlocker.asi...

As HeLiOn_PrImE said, we are already annoyed by ads almost everywhere: sites (and some sites contain malwared ads), mobile games (some are trying to get rid of them by using an app, and if they don't download it from the right place, they can get their phone infected), installers (uTorrent and Adobe Flash Player are just some examples), and the classic TV (that's why I don't watch tv anymore like I did few years ago, too many ads).
By the way, how much profit do you think you will get from ads? I mean, how many do you think will click a link just to give you 0.09$? (this is just an estimation) Most will just ignore it.

When you do this, can someone else please also make an adblocker for SA:MP? Thanks

All jokes aside, I hate this idea. I don't want more ads especially not in games. If your donation packages aren't 'selling', you might need to make them interesting for the players to buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforcez1337
Посмотреть сообщение
When you do this, can someone else please also make an adblocker for SA:MP? Thanks

All jokes aside, I hate this idea. I don't want more ads especially not in games. If your donation packages aren't 'selling', you might need to make them interesting for the players to buy.
Something like the following picture would not be annoying at all;

(image taken randomly from the web and edited with the URL that you see)

i also thought of this cause not everyone would waste money on games, but you'd need a company who'd believe in you lol.

Btw, u can show ads in dialogs when a player dies/when he enters a peacezone or anything like such

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasino97
Посмотреть сообщение
Something like the following picture would not be annoying at all;

(image taken randomly from the web and edited with the URL that you see)
I can live with that, as long as the banner isn't a cheap piece of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y_Less
Посмотреть сообщение
Given two servers, one with ads and one without, where do you think people will play? This seems like the perfect way to ensure you never have any players, which is good considering that it was a way to reduce your hosting costs.
Given two servers, one with one text ad per hour and the other with donation features thst give gamemode advantages even at the top servers, these are benefits/perks that should be available to everyone. Granted, some servers are worse than others, they all do it though, and in certain cases it can become pay-to-win.

You're all jumping on this "we hate ads" bandwagon when it's one text ad per hour, in comparison to micro-transcations plagued servers. The approach should be adopted where anything sold is purely cosmetic, though obviously, people are donating for the gamemode perks and not cosmetics. That's probably not viable unless you are a big server to have people on 0.3DL as most people are still on 0.3.7 as Kalcor didn't make it an official release as he intended to, it's a separate download on a forum page now.

There's countless MMOs that have been the victim of their own micro-transcations. And micro-transcations are far worse than ads unless the ads are obstructive and frequent.

I currently have adblocker on my browser and if someone would made this, there would eventually be a adblocker for it and as everyone said, we already are surrounded by ads everywhere and this would eventually disturb our gameplay experience.
Imagine if Rockstar would have done something like this in any of the GTA series, it would surely get trolled and eventually lose its fans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y_Less
Посмотреть сообщение
I’ve used adblock on my PC for more years than I can remember, and installed in on many other people’s PCs. I’ve developed other anti-ad tech (that I don’t want to announce here for reasons). I follow augmented-reality ad-blocking. I’m hardly just now “jumping on a bandwagon”.
Not talking about you but the.people in this thread. The reason is these people are generalising ads when you can only really display text ads on SAMP.

On the web, I use uBlock unless the site has non disruptive ads. For example on Goo(_)gle (stupid filter) search the ads are all text sponsored results that provide you coupons for what you're searching for that you don't find otherwise just by searching for a competitor. If there's forced videos as ads or popups or large annoying banners then I leave uBlock on. The media used to lock their online content behind paywalls or not put it online, then they made it free with ads, now it's getting to a point with more adblock users the paywalls will have to come back. It's why ******* has launched two premium services in the recent years.

What I'm saying is advertisements in general are not the same as one text advertisements per hour, even if it's not relevant for you, you've enjoyed playing on that server for an hour (as a free player) so who are you to complain over a non-disruptive text ad? If people are annoyed there could be a payment to not show ads for them.

Ultimately it's about moving away from the micro-transcations ecosystem, you can argue there's a balance and there is (cosmetics and light perks) but there's nothing wrong with adding something like this and allowing innovative servers to not worry about what micro-transcations to add but make a good player experience.

I must admit, I took it too far with my 1st comment. When I read about the minecart plugin, my mind immediately went to the ads I see on mobile games.
Systems that display tones of banners and prompts that only manage to piss people off. Systems that I work on every day as a game tester.
So yes, I was very much against it and I even stopped reading the entire thing. If we're talking about a non-disruptive system, then I'm all for it.

Text or Banners on buildings or on billboards would be very nice, and would give owners an income possibility.
However, this entire monetized ad system we see on the internet needs to be completely reinvented.
The whole point of advertising is to get customers, but the majority of ads these days only manage to piss people off.
I get annoyed when I see the names of overly advertised games. They're not making me play them, they're doing the exact opposite.

Advertisements are truly annoying in my opinion. I try to watch videos from free sites, and well they are filled with ads. God damn, too many ads. Anyway, I suppose that's how they make their income. Your idea, might not overall be a bad one, but just don't overdo it. Practically everyone is against ads these days. They pop up, everywhere and just disturb the heck out of ya. So, if you could utilize it to a good benefit, then go ahead my friend.

If it is implemented correctly, it could be OK, only problem is having advertisers willing to use the platform.

I also have AdBlock on my browser and if I'm looking for information about something and I get to a website which wants me to disable my adblock, I'll happily push the backspace button and find another site who has the same information without requests to disable my adblock.

Ads are everywhere nowadays and you want to increase the amount of ads even more by adding it in a samp server?
Tell us which server it is, then I know which one NOT to visit or play on.

No offense, but I already feel I'm getting flooded by ads about everything I don't need, I'm definately not waiting for pc games to have them too.
Even if they offer me $1 for every click, I won't click on it.

When I need something, I'll search for it and go buy it myself.
I don't need ads to do that for me.

sa-mp staff won't allow it.
Edit: sa-mp can't do anything as the bot servers are also running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coool
Посмотреть сообщение
sa-mp staff won't allow it.
Why said they have to allow it? Servers do need to maintain themselves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeLiOn_PrImE
Посмотреть сообщение
Why said they have to allow it? Servers do need to maintain themselves.
Just saying, SA-MP is not a non-profit either. Game-MP is not some third-party company, it's owned by the SA-MP team.