What does a modern day roleplay server need to keep players engaged?

With the recent downfall of many "newer" roleplaying servers (including my own last year) I was wondering what you guys think keeps players engaged to a modern day roleplaying server.

Here's my take on it:
  • Most importantly, a mostly bug free experience. If bugs arise, a patch within 3 days depending on severity of the bug.
  • Wide plethora of available and bug free jobs - multiple ways to gain money and progression to make the grind feel less grindy.
  • Account progression (houses, businesses, vehicles) and the ability to "alter" your belongings (furniture systems, attachments, ...)
  • Accessibility towards vehicles. Vehicles shouldn't cost too much. It should generally be easy to get around on your server.
  • Having your staff team be active and actually listen to player feedback; including criticism.
  • Faction specific jobs or actions (an in depth system for weapons, drugs, ...)
Of course this is a thread that sparks a lot of controversy but let's keep it civil and try to make this a "go to" source of information for players interested in starting new servers.

What do you guys think keeps players engaged and less likely to leave?

I never liked rp but I was a staff member at a server a long time ago.
An unique features that is different with other servers,non-toxic players,decent playerbase and keeping the server updated with new features atleast every two or three months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dignity
Посмотреть сообщение
With the recent downfall of many "newer" roleplaying servers (including my own last year) I was wondering what you guys think keeps players engaged to a modern day roleplaying server.

Here's my take on it:
  • Most importantly, a mostly bug free experience. If bugs arise, a patch within 3 days depending on severity of the bug.
  • Wide plethora of available and bug free jobs - multiple ways to gain money and progression to make the grind feel less grindy.
  • Account progression (houses, businesses, vehicles) and the ability to "alter" your belongings (furniture systems, attachments, ...)
  • Accessibility towards vehicles. Vehicles shouldn't cost too much. It should generally be easy to get around on your server.
  • Having your staff team be active and actually listen to player feedback; including criticism.
  • Faction specific jobs or actions (an in depth system for weapons, drugs, ...)
Of course this is a thread that sparks a lot of controversy but let's keep it civil and try to make this a "go to" source of information for players interested in starting new servers.

What do you guys think keeps players engaged and less likely to leave?
The only thing I'd add to your list is not starting a server for a monetary gain. Too many role play communities out here offering $5.00 for a specific car, $10.00 for a house, then spending the money on lovely cruises around the World. Invest in your server both financially and with your time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy
Посмотреть сообщение
The only thing I'd add to your list is not starting a server for a monetary gain. Too many role play communities out here offering $5.00 for a specific car, $10.00 for a house, then spending the money on lovely cruises around the World. Invest in your server both financially and with your time.
Very true.

Good roleplay and responsible staff members. A responsive user experience with no lag is also imperative.

Clear communication between the staff and members in regards to plans, changes, etc. Basically the point you mentioned:

Keeping existing players engaged can be easy.. The hard thing is how to get players in the first place.

since your server is medieval themed, having a weekly event of some roleplay sort and giving out rewards as an end result would be a good idea. now what kind of event is for you to decide, maybe rounding up players and staging a war between two kingdoms?

you need to keep players interested and to do so you need to set goals for them to reach that give them a handy reward in return, whether it'd be to climb ranks, having their own land and/or property, or maybe given goods then by all means.

you want to let them know that the possibilities of gaining and achieving IS accessible to EVERYONE.

edit; you should also take into account that loss is an important part of gain, while one gains, the other party loses and so their goods are lost too, which will bring hope in being control of territorial grounds. 1v1 duels, wars and politics are a good example.

good luck dignity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WashingTonsG
Посмотреть сообщение
since your server is medieval themed, having a weekly event of some roleplay sort and giving out rewards as an end result would be a good idea. now what kind of event is for you to decide, maybe rounding up players and staging a war between two kingdoms?

you need to keep players interested and to do so you need to set goals for them to reach that give them a handy reward in return, whether it'd be to climb ranks, having their own land and/or property, or maybe given goods then by all means.

you want to let them know that the possibilities of gaining and achieving IS accessible to EVERYONE.

edit; you should also take into account that loss is an important part of gain, while one gains, the other party loses and so their goods are lost too, which will bring hope in being control of territorial grounds. 1v1 duels, wars and politics are a good example.

good luck dignity.
Thanks man.

This thread was more themed towards a general server though, not my personal one. All of the things you’ve mentioned are already a thing there.