Should admins be able to see /PM's between players?

This is currently possible on a server I play in, it's shady as fuck imo, what are your thoughts on this?

What's the point of the reading a private messages of others ? It's just nonsense, why either call it PM ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_message

Because of those who advertise their shits, They should keep an eye on pms

They shouldn't unless there's a report on a private conversation.
The access should be there (conversations should be logged), but admins should not act on private conversations, even if these conversations are about them.
It's one of those things you should keep only for trusted people.

No. There are other ways to block spam or players advertising.
There is no good reason for admins to see other player's PMs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onfroi
Посмотреть сообщение
No. There are other ways to block spam or players advertising.
There is no good reason for admins to see other player's PMs.
It wouldn't be just meant for preventing spam or advertising.
You think the staff on these forums doesn't have access to your PMs? News flash, they do, and it's for a good reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeLiOn_PrImE
Посмотреть сообщение
It wouldn't be just meant for preventing spam or advertising.
You think the staff on these forums doesn't have access to your PMs? News flash, they do, and it's for a good reason.
And where do you get that from? I doubt that.

I don't see it as too much of a big thing. Our little chitchats aren't so much interesting anyways if you ask me.

Let em be private. Why harm someone's privacy smh
They should be stored in server logs and can be checked when needed in reports and shit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onfroi
Посмотреть сообщение
And where do you get that from? I doubt that.
Do you see this little yellow thing? It's a button used to report private messages.
How do you think they punish the user if they don't have access to that specific message?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uproar
Посмотреть сообщение
Let em be private. Why harm someone's privacy smh
They should be stored in server logs and can be checked when needed in reports and shit
Exactly what I was saying.

If we're talking about a roleplay server then I'd say yes. Private messages could be a medium for players to metagame and if they're suspected or if it's required to watch a certain players messages, so be it.

Best option: remove /pm. xD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debjit
Посмотреть сообщение
Best option: remove /pm. xD
Yea, people really need to do that and people will start crying why this server has no pm command 'fuck this server' etc lol.

I support the idea of a screening system in PMs and ofcource, the logs. Screening works like you can not send IP addresses in PM to prevent server AD and logs help maintain proper standards. It also make sure that MG isnt going on for RP servers.

The answer is very simple, log everything! and fall back to the logs whenever u need them, it is a MUST for you to have a plan B to fall back to whenever in doubt, i've had many times 2 players being kids to each other and when one ends it the other goes /pm fuck you

So when someone reports an actual deal you would know what the fuck happened or else it would be his word against the other.

And not just that, i can see it helping in many situations, the deal is, there would be tons and tons of PMS between players and no one has the time to view all of that, so you log it for later use.

What if somebody advertises in PM's?

Administrators shouldn't be viewing private messages for entertainment, but if there is a legit reason for it i.e. someone is breaking the rules then it's obviously justified.

If someone is paying the bills for that server or they've been given the responsibility by the bill payer then it's up to their discretion. If how they go about it isn't for you, play on another server.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeLiOn_PrImE
Посмотреть сообщение
Do you see this little yellow thing? It's a button used to report private messages.
How do you think they punish the user if they don't have access to that specific message?

If you report a message yes, that specific message would be visible to admins, but that doesn't mean all messages are.
vBulletin by default doesn't allow admins to see private messages, unless Kalcor added a mod. Which is kind of plausible, considering we're talking about Kalcor here, but I don't see the point of doing that.

Private messages should be private. As others said, if you want to check them, make them leave logs. If you want extra security without breaking the privacy, make a system that checks for advertisers and warn you about them, before the message gets sent. The player should also have the option to report the message, and it would be nice if when they report a PM, you can actually get to see what was in that PM, so that you won't get fake reports.

And i think that if you have a unique server, you shouldn't worry so much about advertisers, because the players won't leave unless your server is the same as other 1000.

Honestly, I wouldn't be worried about admins reading my PM.

Storing unencrypted passwords is a thing.

That is shady as fuck.