Why is the sa-mp rp community reluctant to change

No, a roleplay server's administration and management are accountable for the identity of a server, besides the location, they're based in. This means writing lore, rules, etc. There isn't much variance in sa-mp and some of these replies confirm my personal belief that sa-mp is honestly not the place to roleplay.

I have to disagree with the mentality, "This is what we were given." Even the series 'House of Cards' could inspire or motivate someone to base their server on the theme and spark something centered around politics. People rather, from what I've gathered, establish a medium where people can roleplay everything and anything.

Not going to lie, the original poster makes a valid point to a certain extent.

The (English) SA-MP community is dominated by roleplay communities. This is proven by the number of roleplay servers that pop up on the Server Advertisements board, as well as how roleplay servers always, if not often, appear on the server browser. Another main issue is that, whenever someone creates a roleplay community, they build a concept that is extremely clichй.

The development team is not at fault, it is the community founders who still choose to create a server when it is already known and proven that it is a waste of time. The effort to build their respective foundations just because "they want to have their own community". Like, what is the point when it is only leading to the outcome of having clichй concepts? Such concept is what bores players who would prefer to join established servers that have more players.

However, there was a rare phenomenon of newly-established roleplay servers actually being successful for a while, particularly Bay Area Roleplay and New Generation Gaming. The fact that both communities consist of known personalities that came from their previous server contributed to its eventual trend.

There has to be a reason why roleplay communities still prefer SA-MP versus MTA:SA, wherein, despite an innovative client that offers almost unlimited possibilities specifically wanted in a roleplay server, there is currently only one roleplay server that continues to thrive for the last five years. The domination of the roleplay community here has become uncontrollable to the point where those with a unique setting are stuck to the ground. The only server that seems to be thriving with such concept is "Vampires, Werewolves And Humans Roleplay". If not the clichй concept, there are brand new servers with unique assets that deserved to have a stable playerbase, particularly Project Roleplay. Underground Roleplay, a game-changing roleplay server that brings Liberty City and Vice City to multiplayer, is also being established, though it is exclusive to a separate SA-MP-based multiplayer client that uses a different set of core files.

Don't get me wrong. I get bored of SA-MP and roleplay, too. But this is how I have seen the SA-MP roleplay community since I got here. The drama, memes, snaking out, toxicity, and almost everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reemyrobby
View Post
Not going to lie, the original poster makes a valid point to a certain extent.

The (English) SA-MP community is dominated by roleplay communities. This is proven by the number of roleplay servers that pop up on the Server Advertisements board, as well as how roleplay servers always, if not often, appear on the server browser. Another main issue is that, whenever someone creates a roleplay community, they build a concept that is extremely clichй.

The development team is not at fault, it is the community founders who still choose to create a server when it is already known and proven that it is a waste of time. The effort to build their respective foundations just because "they want to have their own community". Like, what is the point when it is only leading to the outcome of having clichй concepts? Such concept is what bores players who would prefer to join established servers that have more players.

However, there was a rare phenomenon of newly-established roleplay servers actually being successful for a while, particularly Bay Area Roleplay and New Generation Gaming. The fact that both communities consist of known personalities that came from their previous server contributed to its eventual trend.

There has to be a reason why roleplay communities still prefer SA-MP versus MTA:SA, wherein, despite an innovative client that offers almost unlimited possibilities specifically wanted in a roleplay server, there is currently only one roleplay server that continues to thrive for the last five years. The domination of the roleplay community here has become uncontrollable to the point where those with a unique setting are stuck to the ground. The only server that seems to be thriving with such concept is "Vampires, Werewolves And Humans Roleplay". If not the clichй concept, there are brand new servers with unique assets that deserved to have a stable playerbase, particularly Project Roleplay. Underground Roleplay, a game-changing roleplay server that brings Liberty City and Vice City to multiplayer, is also being established, though it is exclusive to a separate SA-MP-based multiplayer client that uses a different set of core files.

Don't get me wrong. I get bored of SA-MP and roleplay, too. But this is how I have seen the SA-MP roleplay community since I got here. The drama, memes, snaking out, toxicity, and almost everything.
Everything you said is actually valid. There's no such thing as a perfect community. Even if you manage to create one, it'll turn out to be boring and bland.

Be creative and don't blindly rip of every other server ever. Do something unique with the posibilities that SA:MP gives you. Isn't a server (especially a RP styled server) just a toolbox for players to have fun and play the game they want to play? If they want to hardcore roleplay and can see through the limits that San Andreas offers, let them.. And if other players want a more structured server with set objectives or goals to achieve, there are plenty of those.. As a developer you can't 'force' people to play (or RP) a certain way, you just supply them the toolbox of features that they want to have fun with.

One of the reasons that people don't want to try new things is that when things change, I would argue a lot of people actually hate the change. That's why a lot of these servers recently boasting "custom scripts" don't do well. People are much more comfortable sticking to what they know.

Major example I have is a server called Wild West Roleplay. The server was based in the 1860s and was a VERY unique server. It had custom mapping and even custom objects/textures before DL came out. They had a horse system with actual horses. The server shut down in one month.

There are the few people who say "oh custom script pls" but for those who want a successful server, a custom script is rarely viable.

2 post, I don't think he has any deserving right to say such things although if his post is thoroughly understood. Yes it is boring because you have not joined better RP servers yet and yes it is stagnant because change would challenge what is normal already and new things are aliens that has no merit yet in which most servers would surely wallow down their imagination just to keep their server there. If I'm speaking only to the general server owners, "General" in the term of running a server from base scripts and fixing it and updating it(with nothing really matters)

There are so many RP servers out there that are just the same because they just used released scripts. For me released scripts are basis of learning not basis of using as your own. Creating your own server and adding up your own spices is not present in the current SA-MP community now a days.

Although Imaginative minds are still alive such as the creators of the original County Roleplay, the new TDM bed wars was it? etc etc.

But basically RP would, should and utterly boring really. Why? Because RP is just playing a Role, and the Role being Played in SA-MP is mostly real life. People doesn't understand what RP really is in its own. RP can be deathmatch you are A soldier and the Other Role is a terrorist. RP just Deathmatch. Some is a Robber and the other is Cop. RP but Cops and Robbers, see my point. RP is not just really Real Life, its everything that has a role in it.

Get the point? It's not people are not imaginative enough, people are just scared to invent something new which might not work in the first place. Server Owners in the past, the pioneers of each servers invented new things to make people have fun in SA-MP they don't have fear because they started it, they pioneered and it was the beginning but nowadays people are afraid to challenge big names because they know they'll get trampled, well with that mindset they would be.

Now the developers are also making things easier for us. Models are now downloadable, SA-MP creators are stabilizing everything from fixes, to patches to more. It's already really a matter of imagination but people fear to lose, losing is a painful thing in which why people avoiding it does not grow. That's why SA-MP is not growing because its Community has remained stagnant not the servers, but its people itself, not including those people who does their best to keep the Community fresh everyday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shplinx
View Post
One of the reasons that people don't want to try new things is that when things change, I would argue a lot of people actually hate the change. That's why a lot of these servers recently boasting "custom scripts" don't do well. People are much more comfortable sticking to what they know.

Major example I have is a server called Wild West Roleplay. The server was based in the 1860s and was a VERY unique server. It had custom mapping and even custom objects/textures before DL came out. They had a horse system with actual horses. The server shut down in one month.

There are the few people who say "oh custom script pls" but for those who want a successful server, a custom script is rarely viable.
Wild West didn’t lose the chance of success due to the script being unique. It was mainly because of the decisions that were made that caused the playerbase to drop dramatically. A custom script is always viable in creating a successful server, makes the server stand out from others that have been launched. It’s usually the community that causes a servers chance of success to be lost.

If you want things to change, then push for change in those communities. People always go on and on about how bored they are of the same old but they never do anything to try change it. 90% of the time a developer of a server tries to experiment nobody pays any attention to it, even if they're doing everything right in terms of promotion etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by std
View Post
oh sorry.
I agree with Arthur, but you're pretty naive if you think being a developer of a community which has not even opened properly makes you any more qualified to speak about roleplay than others.

I'll admit that the post could've been worded/articulated better so the points of this discussion could've been misunderstood. I'm not blaming developers or anyone really, it's not my intention so apologies if it comes across that way.

It's not as simple as "pushing for change" when a very small minority seek these changes. Add the fact most roleplay communities are self-administrated, it is incredibly easy for players to come off as "elitist" "troll" or simply ignored and belittled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus666
View Post
I just give 2 more years to sa-mp.

Sa-mp will be gone soon, because everyone will grow up, will stop playing (or will go to another games)

And new kids will not choose sa-mp because it has low graphics,

that's my ideea.

I know many people which used to play sa-mp, had a GREAT name in sa-mp, but they left it because of school, university, life.

And some 12 y/o kid will not start samp because of his graphics
I've been playing sa-mp since 2016 from the age of 13 and I loved it in my first Freeroam play, not only me! Too much teenagers players. When u search gta v online Vs gta Sa-Mp then I bet most of the videos will say Sa-Mp and obviously it's best. Those who thinks Sa-Mp's player is decreasing then they should join a popular servers like UIF then you will get the real fun. Sorry for my English and if I said anything wrong..and I don't play UIF BTW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeus666
View Post
I just give 2 more years to sa-mp.

Sa-mp will be gone soon, because everyone will grow up, will stop playing (or will go to another games)

And new kids will not choose sa-mp because it has low graphics,

that's my ideea.

I know many people which used to play sa-mp, had a GREAT name in sa-mp, but they left it because of school, university, life.

And some 12 y/o kid will not start samp because of his graphics
I can list a lot of kids still playing SA-MP until this day that is even below 12 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konverse
View Post
I can list a lot of kids still playing SA-MP until this day that is even below 12 years old.
Are you among them ?

The thing I'm going to say in response OP's post,
going against what he said...
Is...

Well, if you want change I would suggest either making your own change, or look for a group that's providing the change you're looking for. If you're looking for a Vampires and Werewolves RP look for a group doing that (or do it yourself). If you're looking for an apocalypse type of RP look for it and if it isn't there do it yourself. I'd say that's the best way to bring that change.

I've been looking for a server that was going to do what I had in my mind for months, I gave up the search, and I'm working on the project myself now. And through this I've found some likeminded people, who've been looking for the same thing (or something of a close resemblance).

I know that that's not what you're looking for, but that's the real deal; I mean for servers like RCRP, LSRP, and any other RP communities around, what's working for them is clearly working... so... as Lorenc_ said
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenc_
View Post
if it aint broke dont fix it

Quote:
Originally Posted by quellcrist
View Post
There's been a few people who weren't afraid to change, which begs the question why... is everyone else roleplaying the SAME thing on a more than decade old platform?
How do you mean, roleplaying the same thing?

There's 2 questions in this...

I role-played a medic when I did, as that was what my character became through the progressive story that came about my playing on SAMP in total.

When I was a noob, I was the worst in a sense and got given a family slot by someone who was leaving the server. I ended up running a group of 6-8 players where we'd be drug running/material running and loading up the family safe. We'd gone around DMing, RKing, and metagaming the literal crap out of everybody without actually being told, or explained as to what we were doing.

The cops would simply offload a clip, and you'd be dealt with by the respawn-wanted-pickup, or they'd throw you into jail simply for the heck of it if they could taze and cuff you.

The gangs started to simply camp our HQ, and in the end because I wouldn't give up, the first ever bit of admin abuse I encountered occurred...

One of the gang members, using admin priviledge, logged in on my character, and put a hit of all my money, on myself, and then had his hitman mate execute the hit, leaving me to log into a negative balance, and the gang safe not having anywhere near enough money to recover it.

For the second question, which is why the outdated platform, and why the reluctance to change? Because it fucking works, and it can be fixed easily when it does fail if you have skill...

If you don't know how to fix this sort of thing, this is where you end up with a server owner who can't maintain shit, and you end up with an empty server because nothing is being added or fixed, it's all just 'as it is'.

Now, additions... Many, and I mean a vast amount of people think something needs to be 'added' to make it 'cool' to play on a server, where often that isn't the case... Basic, simple improvements, make the users feel like things are actually being enhanced, as long as you make sure you cater to those who want it, and those who don't.

Case in point, NGRP scripts 'vehicle menu'... That piece of shit, is fucking so bad... And here is the main reason on why...

Sure, it works by pressing 'submission', yet what else is hooked onto that? Hydraulics bunny hop...

So I report this 'conflict' because it's a bad thing to have happen, and not be able to turn it off (A simple Y or N key usage in the car should be able to toggle it, and I mentioned this, but alas, nope...), as every 'hop' makes a vehicle dialog come up rendering the hydraulics wasted as you can't turn the menu off or change the key.

Told dev team about this, and they told me, that because I had hydraulics in my PRIVATELY OWNED ambulance that I was showing it in, that it was Non-RP and closed the ticket...

Each time reopening the ticket and telling anyone about it, it was simply 'Non-RP'...

Now given that within 6 months the NGRP sa-mp team all bailed and fucked off to GTA V, of which they still haven't got shit, and then closed the SAMP server down, it's pretty safe to say that the inexperience and the non-want to be on the 'outdated' platform surely led NGRP to demise, as really, if the few that knew what was up with that script, had the urge and 'support' by the management to pay, or hire appropriately, it could have kept going.

In short, I use SA-MP because it works, it doesn't need a high end machine to run, and is simple.

You also have to wonder, you're on the sa-mp forums, asking why we have a reluctance to change from sa-mp... Like, that's like going to a linux desktop user group and asking them why they don't change from Linux, or going to windows user group and asking why not linux...

-Edit-

I may have missed the point with the platform, but this would also apply to script choice as well... Everyone has the godfather feel, 'upgraded' but yet retaining the same base idea because nothing got touched anything more than 3 steps deep into a callback, or a function. (Also because players like the feel of it aesthetically, refer to Clagons VXRP script... It was awesome, yet not many jumped on board with it, but it doesn't mean to say it wasn't good)

With the old ProxDetect being hacked to fuckery simply to get it 'working' because someone couldn't fix it, didn't have time, but made something that 'worked'.

This editing in a sense, breaks the script and makes it less featured simply because someone didn't have skill, which is something which I've seen a lot of when checking diff on various portions.

When you're breaking the code by trying to fix it, and yet still can't fix it, until someone throws you a copy-paste to get you going again, the original script may 'run', but it's highly likely that even though the errors don't show, that it's just terrible code, and it's going to get worse eventually as shit, built on shit, will continue to be shit, and probably get worse.

People grow up yes but doesn't mean they stop. If things are enjoyable everyone would want a piece of it. I for one is already 22 old enough to stop the diddle daddle on SA-MP but still I'm here. I am not leaving this place until everyone dies out. I still see developers doing their best to make SA-MP a better place that's why I'm not leaving, nobody has given up. It's just the server owners are afraid and are dying. If people are just more appreciative to change rather than just wanting something that the server owner cannot or would not add because of his own reasons.

Now a days RP people would want the bag system, the dynamic house system, etc etc... If they see new things they ignore it and ask the server owner to add this and that and other things that the server doesn't necessarily need since not every server caters the same idea.

In my experience, people only wish to RP something that they can't or won't in real life. It's really a psychology thing, and honestly, it's hard to deviate from your normal things like cop, criminal, etc as nobody really wants to RP like your average joe as that's super close to what everyone here is (With very few exceptions). My two cents anyway.

Well,
You guys think you played all the servers that exist.
Lots of you seem to talk like you played all servers.
The problem is that people don't want to invest in a new RP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt-2
View Post
Well,
You guys think you played all the servers that exist.
Lots of you seem to talk like you played all servers.
The problem is that people don't want to invest in a new RP.
The reason is pretty obvious, there are good RP servers that deserve a decent player base, but a player says I have 1000 hours on LSRP, a car, houses, blah blah blah and I don't wanna waste my time to get them on another server so the new RP server goes with a refunding method which will lose a player's interest after a while because they got something which they haven't earned, and so on, the new RP server dies.

Well, twice Ive tried to do something new (mainly GTA United:RP (2013-2014 with Audiophr3ak & 2015-2016 with Soupiest) yet due to how they required the united TC itself, hardly anyone played.

with 0.3.DL having something like LC and VC in SAMP (Among many other maps) would be a lot easier to do, sadly I don't have the money or skills necessary to do so anymore. But that hasn't stopped me from messaging server owners and suggesting the idea!

I would love to see those Driver 2 maps turned into their own SAMP servers though

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesterlJoker
View Post
People grow up yes but doesn't mean they stop. If things are enjoyable everyone would want a piece of it. I for one is already 22 old enough to stop the diddle daddle on SA-MP but still I'm here. I am not leaving this place until everyone dies out. I still see developers doing their best to make SA-MP a better place that's why I'm not leaving, nobody has given up. It's just the server owners are afraid and are dying. If people are just more appreciative to change rather than just wanting something that the server owner cannot or would not add because of his own reasons.

Now a days RP people would want the bag system, the dynamic house system, etc etc... If they see new things they ignore it and ask the server owner to add this and that and other things that the server doesn't necessarily need since not every server caters the same idea.
im 25 and I still participate on forums and sometimes in the server, been playing SAMP since 2009ish

Most of the RP servers are the same, and I agree. They are all based on pre-existing successful models. They think that doing this all the time:
Quote:

/me puts his hand in his pocket, brings out a cigarette and lights it.

is actually playing. To me that is simply boring and a waste of time.

We play games to see new things, that is the best thing a game can have. When the player continuously discovers new things during his gameplay he is motivated to keep playing. Also the player should not be forced to memorize and type commands all the time, this is also a problem IMO.

I am recently writing in my spare time a new version of my unreleased, unpublished Sasinosoft Roleplay.
This gamemode is started from scratch, and it will mainly feature A.I. bots (using FCNPC), which will behave somewhat like the Sims. They will not be just pedestrian extras who walk around, instead the player will be able to have complete RP situations with them. Each one of them has its own stats which are saved in the database, like for regular players. They have their own inventories and they may sell or buy items from the players or from other bots. They can make ties with players and other bots, so that they become friends, fiances, or spouses of them. They will send you SMSs on your phone, go to places in autonomy, do the same jobs as the players, drive in street races...

Most of the interaction of the player with the world will be done through the hotkeys and the dialogs, although the commands for basic things will still be there for those who prefer them. Why create a /houseinventory command while you can place a safe in the house with a 3D text label saying "Press return to open the inventory"? Look at the console games, none of them uses text commands and yet you can play them anyway.

I think nice cutscenes and stories are also cool, and will attract players' interest, that is why I dedicate time on it. Also I have picked many beautiful maps from the members of this community, and I have extended LS Airport.