How do you handle ban appeals?

Let me know how do you handle ban appeals for undetectable hacks (i.e nametag hacks/aimbot)

since scripting is never accurate in those cases (Yes, some includes were made but I can't say I can trust them on large scale.

Steps I usually count on:
- Footage: Usually enough for any case. but some cases require further investigation, Not to mention. not all idiots hack continuously. Some of them toggle most of the time making it nearly impossible to rely only on the footage.

- Player's directory details: Taking a look at his GTA-SA folder and checking whether he has cheats or not. also his modification date. Usually not enough since some players either fake those or get screenshots directly from the web.

Occasionally, In normal cases such as Teleporting/Speed hacks/airbreak/etc. a simple video/screenshot could be enough yet in some sensitive cases, I find it unfair to ban someone when he can "justify" himself.

Whether he's actually not hacking or hacking and trying to fool us, I find it wrong to keep a player banned without accurate footage of him cheating.

Nametag hack: Get a player and place him near the hacker when no one is around.(not so close, enough that he can find the player hiding in a corner or behind the truck bla bla bla). If he get to him you'll know he have nametag hack.
Aimbot: You can find many anti-aimbot(anti-proaim) script on forums which can tell you how you detect aimbot(specially proaim).

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayJ
View Post
Nametag hack: Get a player and place him near the hacker when no one is around.(not so close, enough that he can find the player hiding in a corner or behind the truck bla bla bla). If he get to him you'll know he have nametag hack.
Aimbot: You can find many anti-aimbot(anti-proaim) script on forums which can tell you how you detect aimbot(specially proaim).
The point isn't how you bust them, but how you handle hacks which you can't be 100% certain about them.
The point is that some players can explain most of the footage you are going to accuse them with, Busting them is never a problem. You can know for sure someone is hacking but sometimes you won't be able to bust him for it.

As a server owner, your job is to ensure a proper gameplay experience for your users.
Whatever his problems are (if he is not hacking), he seems to be causing issues to other players.
You leave them with a warning, and if it happens again you will extend his ban period.

^^ Although I do have to say, some players can't handle being thrashed, and go crying calling hacks because they simply can't handle it.

Then because they have a problem with that person, they can't let it go or avoid them as they want them off the server, so they take offence at everything and report them even for the most minor shit.

In the end the admins get cranky because they are seeing them reported all the time, so then they end up removing them to sort the issue out...

But yet, they're fueling a sissy, and giving them power by taking their reports and acting on them simply for the idea that a person, has been rumoured to be causing trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sew_Sumi
View Post
^^ Although I do have to say, some players can't handle being thrashed, and go crying calling hacks because they simply can't handle it.

Then because they have a problem with that person, they can't let it go or avoid them as they want them off the server, so they take offence at everything and report them even for the most minor shit.

In the end the admins get cranky because they are seeing them reported all the time, so then they end up removing them to sort the issue out...

But yet, they're fueling a sissy, and giving them power by taking their reports and acting on them simply for the idea that a person, has been rumoured to be causing trouble.
Totally true. Its happened many times. They never seem to just let bygones be bygones.....

Quote:
View Post

If the player got banned, it should be because his activity was actually proven to be at least suspicious. Not because someone bitching.
You're suitable to be an admin if you "get cranky". I know everyone has his/her limits, but you're not supposed to be doing the job if you're not in the mood either.

If a player is suspicious and you're not sure on whether to ban him or not, you ask the help of fellow staff members. If no one can conclude anything, you issue a warning to that player to fix his issues if he has any.

Oh for sure, but a lot of things are left to perception, and that perception is often clouded by the inability to handle someone for who they are, not what they are.

It really is needing to be a warning system, and a gauge on other things rather than what's being passed to the admins from the players alone.

Even to the point that multiple admins should be looking at such a thing, hence what admin chat is supposed to be for, for discussing and verifying that there is indeed something wrong with the player, and not such things as their connection playing up, or that people just can't shoot them.

Like the old desync on point stuff, where people ran up, cap a point, and end up standing in the middle of the entire opposition, not taking damage as they are desynced and don't see those people. (In this situation, you'd make that person unable to cap if it happens too much, and then note that they have a problem in some form. If it starts turning up in other areas, you'd simply get them to not partake in such things, as their connection isn't good enough or something.

You'd see a problem if they 'know' where their guys are, and interact with them, yet don't 'see' the enemy. Then that should raise a flag from someone who is watching the event unfold.

I used to like just watching events... It was fun. People used to get all shitty over it, but damn, the more eyes on some fishy behaviour the better. Especially from people who really don't give a crap, and just want to watch people duke it out.

Quote:
View Post
Oh for sure, but a lot of things are left to perception, and that perception is often clouded by the inability to handle someone for who they are, not what they are.
Not sure I understand what you're trying to say in this sentence...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeLiOn_PrImE
View Post
Not sure I understand what you're trying to say in this sentence...
Because most admin decisions are made by a human, their perception of a player can be offset by their problems they have with them.

You will find someone who has issue with someone, is much faster to conclude than someone who hasn't got a problem with that same person.

And that also plays towards the people who are sheep and simply nod and agree with someone because they like them so much because they are a higher admin.