SA-MP 0.3.8's manifesto - triggers, consequences and survival methods

SA-MP 0.3.8's manifesto
Triggers, consequences and survival methods

[*] Introduction
Generally I don't like creating threads like this and don't get me wrong, but why is almost everyone blowing flames? Kalcor wrote clearly:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcor
View Post
[...] Eventually the downloading feature will be part of a main SA-MP release, but the 0.3.8 version will be skipped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcor
View Post
[...] Nothing has been taken away. The downloading feature will simply not make it to the main release at this time. If you want to continue using 0.3.8 RC, nobody will stop you.
There will be a main version which will handle custom models, meanwhile if we want to use downloadable content we should keep developing our gamemodes using the 0.3.8 RC / 0.3.7-DL. I'm not an expert programmer but the downloading feature requires a lot of work and testing, it doesn't make too much sense adding it to the 0.3 branch. I couldn't explain it better than IstuntmanI:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IstuntmanI
View Post
Great decision, to be honest ! I considered 0.3.8 to be pretty fail since the start. Such a huge new feature like model downloading would fit perfectly in a new version from a new branch, like 0.4a, not at the end of a branch ! Such a huge feature can create lots of bugs so you would have to release even further versions in the branch to fix them. Also, such a huge feature has to come with other things too: custom radar, custom sounds eventually, custom vehicles, custom weapons, custom map icons and so on. The latest 0.3 version was supposed to be 0.3x. Everything after it should have been mainly critical security patches. Another good idea would have been to make a RC5, but instead of 0.3.8 RC5 to call it 0.4a RC1 and take your time to release it.

Model downloading was pretty buggy and it created lots of edge cases: it wasn't working in request class (I know you said that it is legacy code, but that should be updated and make it to allow custom models), wasn't working as pickups and when you changed the world you couldn't put the player straight in a vehicle because the "artwork" being set to 1 made the sync of worlds a bit different. Hopefully 0.4a will have this feature a bit different. In the way you made it it would have created some problems when upgrading to the new SA-MP version. This upgrading problems and edge cases are what made me to not be interested TOO MUCH in the downloading feature. I was seriously considering to disable "artwork" on my server because of all these problems.

Hopefully it won't take another 2 years for a new version and hopefully you won't go further in the 0.3 branch. It's the time for a new branch. 0.3 is stable enough (but there are still few crashers/player buggers available that can't be fixed without plugins ! I reported them in a topic in this section, but weirdly it didn't attract your attention). Also, I think that it would be a nice idea to go with the 0.4.0 or 0.4.1 naming (can't remember exactly what the internal version was for 0.3a), not with 0.4a, as problems like in the 0.3 branch could appear in the future too and you will have to adopt again weird naming.
[*] The "useartwork" method
Yes, the development team could keep the 0.3.8 and just allow us to use the useartwork option in server.cfg, presumably the dev. team just didn't want to mix up things.

[*] Downloadable content and its future
We should move on and keep developing our gamemodes happily, even if they contain downloadable features. There is a 50% (50% taken by the surprise factor) chance of a new version coming out, a new main release which will support the downloadable content. Otherwise, we might insure the dev. team has been wasting time also.

[*] The "lack of interest" issue
Personally, I'd like to let the dev. team know that there is no "lack of interest" coming from us. Some big servers not interested in this feature do not represent "most of the existing SA-MP servers". The dev. team knows there are many underground servers out there doing nice things with custom models.

On the other hand, many people suggest things with enthusiasm when new release concurrents pop out, convince yourself checking the next threads:We have been reporting tons of small bugs also, only a few have been fixed natively. Here you have a small list, I understand some of them are easier to fix in PAWN.

[*] The surprise factor
This plays an important role, if we wake up some morning and we read something similar to the next post we shouldn't panic, it might be an attempt to hoodwink the public. But what if it's real? Maybe we were born under a bad sign, anyway, we better get ready for the surprise factor.

[*] Gratitude
Don't blame the dev. team, they've been handling this mod since the beginnings and it worked out, it has nice implementations and it's still fun to play. They don't owe us nothing after all, we can't be mad because a RC has been cancelled. Allow me to quote someone:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenc_
View Post
im just sad because people dont realise how much time kalcor put into it

it can really destroy a persons motivation to continue coding the mod
Now we can just expect the best, I'm sure the dev. team will push it to the limit, deep enough to satisfy us all.

Please, accept my deepest thanks.

thank you. there three 2's and two 4's.

The truth I accept the decision of Kalcor, and it is well, I only hope that with time I release an official version, and better, I have confidence in him, and I know that he will not let die the community that took a long time to create.

They must calm down and realize that SA-MP will be fine. They can use 0.3.8 RC if they want.

There have been many enthusiastic people during the course of the development of this canceled version.

The question is whether we can have the same downloadable features in version 0.3.7-DL to continue developing gamemodes under this concept, the information provided by Kalcor has been unforeseen and could have more explanation for people who do not understand anything.

Also worth mentioning is reassuring these people who are insulting or belittling the work of the SA-MP team.

What needs to be developed?
Personally, we spent a lot of time building a whole city....It is already ready for 70%
By the way, the whole city weighs only 5Mbyte, I do not think it would be a problem for players
Personally, I do not want to run it on 0.3.7-DL
I doubt that there will be many players
Many people say that objects are not needed, but they could not add them to themselves on 0.3.8
The update would be a very big leap in the samp
I think that waiting for delusion of 0.3.7 and 0.3.7-DL will take a long time
Personally, I'm sorry, I wanted to develop the project with new objects
I apologize for English
HTML Code:
[Image: F27F_4KFT4K5mx2iLqouKw.png]
[Image: Yqu6q7nSSZ6KcPhx97lBVA.png]
[Image: iRBAi_F8QdKHGqBHJgCDSg.png]
[Image: jpua0y2ZSECIoaoK7Tv-uw.png]
[Image: bW_zgvfERqOMgrScbrOBgg.png]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laoter
View Post
What needs to be developed?
Personally, we spent a lot of time building a whole city....It is already ready for 70%
By the way, the whole city weighs only 5Mbyte, I do not think it would be a problem for players
Personally, I do not want to run it on 0.3.7-DL
I doubt that there will be many players
Many people say that objects are not needed, but they could not add them to themselves on 0.3.8
The update would be a very big leap in the samp
I think that waiting for delusion of 0.3.7 and 0.3.7-DL will take a long time
Personally, I'm sorry, I wanted to develop the project with new objects
I apologize for English
Is it necessary that in all the Post you show your objects?
In all discussions of Kalcor I see your images, because it just does not leave the link better? It is very annoying to always see the wide images, show that in the "Screenshots and Videos" section.

I apologize, I commented on them just do not fully know this forum.

thx, UP

Its just that players will be split between 2 versions, nothing else.

Quote:

[...] Eventually the downloading feature will be part of a main SA-MP release, but the 0.3.8 version will be skipped.

The problem is we all know how long "eventually" is in SAMP years.

The sad fact that we need an entire thread to explain this.

Downloading files is not necessary for those who can not offer anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1n1vv
Посмотреть сообщение
Downloading files is not necessary for those who can not offer anything
What if I just don't want to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaperstone
Посмотреть сообщение
What if I just don't want to?
What if I want it?

You know the IQ around here is substantially low when we need threads like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1n1vv
Посмотреть сообщение
What if I want it?
Enjoy.

What do I have to do with your choices, just trying to point out that if a server doesn't offer mods it doesn't necessarily mean that it cannot.

I hope kalcor is right.

If you do not want that, you can not upload them to the server.
why now samp should not develop..
if the objects are created correctly, their weight will be very small
in the client it is possible to make function which will show whether there are objects on the server

Maybe Kalcor was not wrong as much as people think.