SA-MP 0.3.8 version cancelled

Unbelievable.

I'm lost for words.

If this thread gets out of hand, I'll lock it.

I have released every SA-MP version since 0.1 (2006), including versions with 1000's of models. You could go back even further to VC-MP in 2005 or even MTA:VC 0.2.2 in 2003. That's a lot of years of experience.

The fact is, I am right. And if you think I'm wrong, you are wrong.

The sad truth about the 0.3.8 version is that there would have been more models produced if it were just me and Matite working on models.

Nothing has been taken away. The downloading feature will simply not make it to the main release at this time. If you want to continue using 0.3.8 RC, nobody will stop you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalcor
Посмотреть сообщение

I have released every SA-MP version since 0.1 (2006), including versions with 1000's of models. You could go back even further to VC-MP in 2005 or even MTA:VC 0.2.2 in 2003. That's a lot of years of experience.

The sad truth about the 0.3.8 version is that there would have been more models produced if it were just me and Matite working on models.

Nothing has been taken away. The downloading feature will simply not make it to the main release at this time. If you want to continue using 0.3.8 RC, nobody will stop you.
I would be really happy if you put GTA:SA beta and cutscene skins in SA:MP and put that money pickup in object. It's not a big tragedy for me because many things you can do with textures. I am wondering why didn't you implement those skins before if they were in the game files?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpK
Посмотреть сообщение
looks like me right now

їKalcor, seriously?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0MVWnasqjs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV1D3ATD
Посмотреть сообщение
їKalcor, seriously?
Please read the thread before panicking and making out that you're losing out...

The features aren't simply being thrown away, they're being integrated in other upcoming versions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NV1D3ATD
Посмотреть сообщение
I sympathize with you.

@Kalcor, I still do not understand, because of what you decided not to release this version? I do not see any flaws.

people were just waiting for the official release to be there that's all and everyone would have downloaded it!
i thought of just a totally different level of SA-MP by that update ;( but .............

I have to admit that I'm not pleased with this move. I've spent over month working on some features based on custom models for my servers. We've opened a test server for SA-MP 0.3.8, where many players joined the testing and were simply amazed by custom models.

From what I can tell, players were extremelly looking forward to the new version. Making DL version optional will most likely bury custom models feature until it is added in default server/client release. And it might split the SA-MP community, which would have negative impact on SA-MP player base.

Servers that were not interested in custom models feature could have simply disabled the "useartwork" in server.cfg. That was decent compromise in my opinion.

that is not fair!!
Everyone was trying to prepare for that version

You don't appreciate stranger labour.

1920x1080
640x480:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IstuntmanI
Посмотреть сообщение
Great decision, to be honest ! I considered 0.3.8 to be pretty fail since the start. Such a huge new feature like model downloading would fit perfectly in a new version from a new branch, like 0.4a, not at the end of a branch ! Such a huge feature can create lots of bugs so you would have to release even further versions in the branch to fix them. Also, such a huge feature has to come with other things too: custom radar, custom sounds eventually, custom vehicles, custom weapons, custom map icons and so on. The latest 0.3 version was supposed to be 0.3x. Everything after it should have been mainly critical security patches. Another good idea would have been to make a RC5, but instead of 0.3.8 RC5 to call it 0.4a RC1 and take your time to release it.

Model downloading was pretty buggy and it created lots of edge cases: it wasn't working in request class (I know you said that it is legacy code, but that should be updated and make it to allow custom models), wasn't working as pickups and when you changed the world you couldn't put the player straight in a vehicle because the "artwork" being set to 1 made the sync of worlds a bit different. Hopefully 0.4a will have this feature a bit different. In the way you made it it would have created some problems when upgrading to the new SA-MP version. This upgrading problems and edge cases are what made me to not be interested TOO MUCH in the downloading feature. I was seriously considering to disable "artwork" on my server because of all these problems.

Hopefully it won't take another 2 years for a new version and hopefully you won't go further in the 0.3 branch. It's the time for a new branch. 0.3 is stable enough (but there are still few crashers/player buggers available that can't be fixed without plugins ! I reported them in a topic in this section, but weirdly it didn't attract your attention). Also, I think that it would be a nice idea to go with the 0.4.0 or 0.4.1 naming (can't remember exactly what the internal version was for 0.3a), not with 0.4a, as problems like in the 0.3 branch could appear in the future too and you will have to adopt again weird naming.
This !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottus
Посмотреть сообщение
Well it would seem to me that polishing off a feature like this for general use would be an extensive effort. To me it would seem this move expands the development time frame to actually make this feature acceptable for a main SAMP release.

It also makes sense that this move allows for all the other updates that can and need to be implemented are immediately indeed implemented within a reasonable timeframe.

I don't think a lot a lot of you guys appreciate the effort that it takes to actually have on going development. For the upset server owners think about the amount of work you put in yourselves sometimes there is critical choices that need to be made.

"Creativity is at it's greatest when the limitations of capabilities is at odds with overall achievement"
And this!!
and yea I read whole 17pages of thread , guys to be honest , I’m happy with this.
You do not understand when someone do a huge work and and suddenly it needs to be stopped , I’m a hundred percents sure Kalcor had to decide this as a great big deal and he already knew that this (mad people all around) would happen.

By the way it was fu_king boring for me to going to a server and wait like 10 to 15 minutes to download all files and then when i check the server it seems like a little kiddo was playing with his toys , people added some shit just because they could!

Terrible move.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
There is lack of interest in the downloading feature by most of the existing SA-MP servers.
Too hard to believe. You can tell us the real reason ,no one will bite you..

This is more of a case of the admins are too lazy to work on samp anymore

this was bad news ever ..

Sorry, but I'm glad. For the addition of their objects would kill the mapping

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение

What a bunch of fucking shit, the seperate version will help in no way and may aswell not be there. Nobody is gonna bother downloading a seperate version just to access a small branch of servers who are using the new download feature, as all the rest of the servers will remain on main branch cuz of this shit.

Been hauling my ass creating 3d models for our 2nd server project ever since the announcement of this, we were gonna heve 0 original models from SA, although still sticking to it's style/polycount. Now, even if I continued making the server, we would have no players because of this crap.

gg. killing the creativity of the community.