How Do You Feel About Server Applications?

There are several servers on San Andreas Multiplayer, mostly roleplay-based, that have applications that are required to join a server. This practice has continued in to GT:MP for Grand Theft Auto V.

This generally is accepted for larger servers like LS:RP, but some small servers also have adopted the practice. So I am curious: Would you join a low playerbase server that requires applications over a similar server that doesn't require applications? Also including a poll for this

I'm also interested to hear what people think about server applications.

Personally, I think they're okay sometimes but I feel like that if a server doesn't have the reputation or playerbase, it can hurt the server's ability to grow. The server would have to have some outstanding features to make it worth waiting to join.

I will quit, no matter the playerbase

I just wanna log in and play without bullshit

I didn't join RCRP for that reason. You want me to come in and see what your server is like, yet I need to apply to just login. I'm not wasting a half hour or more of my time to apply to your server (especially if y ou have an under 50 player base) to login and decide I don't like it. That's why I use a quiz on login to make sure people aren't total newbies, or at least smart enough to ****** the answer. I'd be more acceptable to it if for example you can login and whatnot but your features are limited until you apply. Maybe you can only play for 2 hours or something to get me hooked and want to take the effort to fill out an application.

Probably yes if I'll be looking for a serious server, because IMO that registration filter outs most of retarded and kids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iLearner
View Post
Probably yes if I'll be looking for a serious server, because IMO that registration filter outs most of retarded and kids.
Right, i'll probably do the same thing. Most of players just login/create account to hack or break rules.

It has its losses (players) and its gains (quality).
But still, if a server has a good and active staff, then players that wouldn’t have passed the application can be banned, and good players that wouldn’t have gone through the hassle of an application would stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexMSK
View Post
Right, i'll probably do the same thing. Most of players just login/create account to hack or break rules.
If it happens often and you have an amount of players, then you should already have active staff.
"Cheaters enter at midnight to bother players”
Then you should also put a midnight moderator. You will only lose players with applications.

An application to check if you have basic knowledge about Roleplay and if you can read the rules, that's fine. But not one that requires an administrator to check which takes ages before you get declined because your novel is not 'long and detailed' enough. I'm just not interested (and don't have the time anymore) to follow that whole process. And I think there are many like me that just want to play. Although for some (usually higher pop, with a good reputation) servers, I won't mind too much. If it doesn't take days before someone reviews your application that is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianGraber
View Post
It has its losses (players) and its gains (quality).
I'm not against your entire argument or whatever, if anything I likely agree, but I just have to say that this [part of the comment] is not entirely true. I for example am a pretty good RP'er (IK I'm saying it myself, but I have my reputation and people to prove it) yet I wouldn't join any server that has applications, simply because there's a risk they won't accept you even though you give a decent or great application. The last time I wrote a great app at a server I won't name I got denied for "Famous Name". Jason Wilson is a famous name? Really? Useless waste of my time. Not everyone who has a wikipedia or imdb page is in fact Famous. (End NAME rant.)

And besides that people who are GREAT at RP aren't always great at applications. And people who are great at applications aren't always great at RP. An application gives you minutes, maybe even hours (OR DAYS) to finalize while the logic of roleplay in a dynamic situation (as happens in game) is tested nowhere. Nor is the actual knowledge tested as people can just look up the answers online while taking an application, without actually being understanding of what the courtesies and "rules" of the RP are.

Edit: I'm trying to say with this that the fact that someone knows how to write a great Character Story/Application doesn't always prove they know how to RP it. While some who doesn't want to bother writing one (like me) can still RP great without having written a character story.

Some servers sorta implement a bit of the two ideas, where you register in game but also type in your answer which is then checked by humans (ie. admins or "registrators" as one server called them), you write in the answer and if the person checking them accepted the answer, you were accepted. This was all done in-game.

This requires people in game to monitor the registration though (not a problem on active servers), so I would usually opt for a predefined quiz instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanny
View Post
Some servers sorta implement a bit of the two ideas, where you register in game but also type in your answer which is then checked by humans (ie. admins or "registrators" as one server called them), you write in the answer and if the person checking them accepted the answer, you were accepted. This was all done in-game.

This requires people in game to monitor the registration though (not a problem on active servers), so I would usually opt for a predefined quiz instead.
I kind of agree with that, people should probably go for a small predefined quiz in the server, because it will give you the best out of both. While it isn't 100% efficient I guess it is the best weigh out of quality and quantity. Because those that require admins to approve might prove to take minutes or days for people to answer them. By that time someone is already bored and has chosen another server (if it doesn't have the PB to make it attractive).

While the predefined quiz at lets you join as you've proven that you know the rules of RP, how to RP, and have some common sense.

if the application is open-source you can check it does nothing bad then yes

In all honestly, tyhe application system for a server is a must, as it'll deter hackers/cheaters/trolls from being able to join, to those that are saying you didn't join a server like RCRP/LSRP cause it has an application, You obviously aren't there to roleplay, I'm sorry but it's true, anyway, the application system is an must need for an RP server as it'd stop the aforementioned from happening. so that's just my whole opinion on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwp1fwl
Посмотреть сообщение
In all honestly, tyhe application system for a server is a must, as it'll deter hackers/cheaters/trolls from being able to join, to those that are saying you didn't join a server like RCRP/LSRP cause it has an application, You obviously aren't there to roleplay, I'm sorry but it's true, anyway, the application system is an must need for an RP server as it'd stop the aforementioned from happening. so that's just my whole opinion on it.
Respectfully, I disagree. A person who intends to do that stuff can make it through applications. I've been on LSRP and RCRP, I've seen rulebreakers / cheaters / hackers. So applications don't stop it. They could deter it sure but some people don't want to write essays to play a game. I have filled out an application for LSRP and RCRP, and I have played on both.

A person's ability to fill out an application does not dictate their ability to roleplay. If this were applications to join a Police Department in a roleplay server, I could understand since the roleplay needs to be a certain level. But to enter a server, I don't see it.

I do see what you're trying to say though and for servers with a good reputation like LSRP or RCRP, I can see the reason. But for a server that is small and hardly can get ten players regularly, I don't see the purpose really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwp1fwl
Посмотреть сообщение
Wow kid, who are you to say "You obviously aren't there to roleplay, I'm sorry but it's true." When's the last time you roleplayed anything serious, roleplayed injuries, conversations, meetings? From what I hear often LSRP tends to be just a TDM in the streets anyways so it isn't like those char apps worked. Yet I don't have to look too far back to see the last time I've roleplayed an injury, I've roleplayed revalidation, wheeling around in a wheelchair. In General you don't have that many RP'ers who actually go to those extents, so don't even claim that kind of thing without looking at the players. I remain with my stance whilst being a proper roleplayer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDay
Посмотреть сообщение
if the application is open-source you can check it does nothing bad then yes
Let's say I'm looking at 5 servers. Now, to even see what it's about, the look and feel etc. I have to register and spend probably half an hour or more writing a stupid application just to get accepted in to go and log in and decide that server isn't for me. While I agree it filters out the noobs, there's nothing wrong with a couple in the server. The fact that every server is trying to get rid of it is what is killing the sa-mp scene. Think about it, if NO new players can join who don't know how to RP, who is going to replace the ones that leave? We were all that one idiot running the streets in RP servers at one time.

Like I said before, I do agree that there should be some sort of basic quiz, but you don't need 10 200 word answers. More importantly, you don't need strict admins. There could be multiple choice questions right in the server to make sure you understand basic RP things and basic english skills.

Well, this is very easy to answer. If I'm looking for a decent, professional and legit server to play on, I would prefer a nicely made registration system to check your roleplay level and capabilities, but in the other side if I'm looking for a server to play with my friends for a while you know have some fun roleplaying and joining factions easily, I would absolutely prefer servers with no application system.

There is nothing called what is better because writing down an application has its pros & cons, same goes for the simple IG quiz. People above mentioned that with no application system it will bring more "trollers and hackers" which is a terrible excuse obviously here comes the job of the administrators/moderators or even helpers on some servers, if you have an active staff team you can do whatever you want and not to care about trollers and/or hackers.

Personally I have played on many servers with no application system in the registration process and guess what? I have enjoyed my time there, I met great people with great ability to roleplay and I had a fun, interesting and amusing roleplay experience with other players on the server with barely any trollers or low roleplayers. Why? the answer is simple because they have an active staff team who can get rid of people who wants to ruin the roleplay atmosphere for other players.

Writing an application is not bad at all. It shows to the players that the Owner/developer of the server are interested to make a decent registration system for players to get attracted. Creating an application code or a ucp linked to your script is not a piece of cake, it takes time and not everyone are able to do it. Actually it provides more "attraction" to the players who wants a serious server to play on and stick to.

About what nl-videomaster said that he has rolepalyed on servers with application system and he found many trollers and hackers. I totally agree with you and indeed you will find many of them on all kind of servers whether with or without an applciation system, but if you notice they troll after they didn't get what they want for example after being scammed, ajailed or even arrested IC. They don't take responsibliy of their actions during their time spent on the servers.

Its like applying for whitelist on a minecraft server. It doesn't work well unless its a really good server and maybe with mods that makes it even better.

Nah, Do you know what? I didn't joined any Roleplay servers because when i joined my first Roleplay Server, its application made me mad and after it i left RP Servers and never played a RP Server After it and still I don't like to play any RP Servers, I really hate this system, If someone may give me to vote about this system then my vote would be -999. Any Low or No player-based server is better than a server who needs application to join the community. But there are still many players who play clean & legit server free from stupid hackers, Rule-breakers, etc. That's good to the legit players! I just told you what's my opinion about this system

It's good cause it filters out hackers and ban evaders, why would they spend time unless they're seriously determined, also once banned they can't keep logging in and hacking - making a good filter. Plus if you're not serious about roleplay and cant wait then you probably have no experience with heavy rp, either way it helps and builds hype, once accepted you feel special that you got accepted

Quote:
Originally Posted by izeatfishz
Посмотреть сообщение
It's good cause it filters out hackers and ban evaders, why would they spend time unless they're seriously determined, also once banned they can't keep logging in and hacking - making a good filter. Plus if you're not serious about roleplay and cant wait then you probably have no experience with heavy rp, either way it helps and builds hype, once accepted you feel special that you got accepted
Have to disagree. I know plenty of people who can roleplay in a heavy manner who simply do not enjoy applicatons

But I do see your other points. However, I can't really say I feel special getting accepted on anything like LSRP or RCRP after seeing the kind of people that are. I encountered several players who clearly did not possess a heavy roleplay ability. If someone is determined enough, it's really not hard to rewrite common rules or write a two paragraph backstory.

However, this makes me want to ask: Do people feel like there is no other option to filter hackers, trolls, ban evaders, etc than applications? And how do they feel about applications, again, for a low playerbase server. Someone used the example of <50 so if the playerbase is <50, would you still wait the time and put in the effort?