Q: Practices for the best server administration possible?

Hi,

I am looking forward to gain ideas/suggestions from players, server owners/admins for the best server administration possible.

What are the practices should I do to make sure administration in my server works good? Of course, a bad administration would ruin the reputation of the community.

As for yourself or your staff? if it's for yourself one thing i know for sure is to keep it all fair and square, if for the staff just moderate them through your account or another account, when i started hiring admins i made a log that documented every command available for them to know if they would abuse anything so basically formatted a string with what was exactly done for every command and documented it then i read the logs later, so yeah you can do that.

Interview possible admin candidates to make sure they're at least 18 years old. Do it over Discord / Teamspeak. There, you've weeded out three quarters of the bad ones.

Avoid befriending your moderators. Treat them with respect but refuse if they ask you to play games together or stuff like that. People will feel entitled to things if you let them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by admantis
Посмотреть сообщение
Interview possible admin candidates to make sure they're at least 18 years old. Do it over Discord / Teamspeak. There, you've weeded out three quarters of the bad ones.

Avoid befriending your moderators. Treat them with respect but refuse if they ask you to play games together or stuff like that. People will feel entitled to things if you let them.
now i wonder what's unfair here

What are the best practices to lead a successful company?
What are the best practices to paint a perfect painting?
What are the best practices to win on roulette table?

If there was a simple answer to questions like that I wonder why there still are so many people failing on it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr
Посмотреть сообщение
Hmm... He meant mature enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayJ
Посмотреть сообщение
Hmm... He meant mature enough.
no he meant people over 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr
Посмотреть сообщение
They're mature though :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr
Посмотреть сообщение
No, he meant people above the age of consent ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

If someone asks to be an admin, they’re not admin material. I only hire admins that are hand picked, and I pick them by their involvement in the server, whether it be contributions in other staff teams, led a strong faction for a long period of time or whatever else. Have a strict and clear set of procedures as well, take the guess work out of it. An admin’s job should be to help a player in need or resolve a conflict, not to just flat out ban people for everything, because really, what does that solve? If it was for something stupid chances are they and all their clan are just going to leave. Also have training sessions for all admins so they know exactly what they’re doing. The most important in my opinion is to make sure all staff is on the same level as a regular player. They should be rewarded for their contributions but not treated like they’re better than anyone else. Another thing is to assign roles to each admin, and let that admin handle that role. For example, while I own the server, there is another admin who is in charge of factions. Anyone coming to me with faction requests gets forwarded to him, even though I may have the power to do it.

Someone who knows what they're doing, mature, fluent enough in English, helpful, respectful, and responsible enough.

OPTIONAL: Someone who knows how to speak multiple language and knows how to deal with problems.

Servers with lot of admins is bullshit.
Less is more..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xhizors
View Post
Servers with lot of admins is bullshit.
Less is more..
Less Admins - > Their inactive - > Cheaters takes the part in the server - > Players crying 'admin pls ban' - > Total mess - > Boom!!!!!!!!

Be a boss on your admin, Not a "Bro", Friend, Bitch, Prostitute whatever. (But dont rape them tho)

Be strict, Don't give them the chance to think that you're going to forgive immature acts, abusing etc...

You should let them know that they're admins to work, not to have some cool ass tags\titles on forums and IG and have access to some kickass commands that they can use it whenever they are in the mood to.

Also, Be sure to use the divisions system, and punish anyone who interferes in another admin's division.
The only ones who are allowed to do it are the management team and the admin personnel director\manager.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfr
Посмотреть сообщение
I think it makes sense since idk, they're kids? Would you trust a kid to manage your coworkers at the office?

I do not recommend to log admin commands to check if your staff is abusing or not. As soon as they know that, there will no longer be the same loyality between you and them.

1) Experience
Be sure that your new staff member got enough experience. This not means that he need to know every godfather admin command. It simply means that he can answer simple questions about GTA SA and SA-MP. Server-side & client side. Your admins should have technical base knowledge and understand the difference between client and server mistakes.

2) Experience about your project
Knowing your community, knowing your gamemode, teamspeak and forums software. And also: knowing thier and your mistakes and how to fix them both! I would never create a server with random guys from the internet!

3) Think for your community
A pretty good friend was a supporter for more than 3 years (2013 - 2016). He never asked for a higher rank, he never made mistakes without saying sorry and fixing them. He wa pretty good, damn... pretty good! But, only as supporter. He didnt knew the database software we were working with, the panel we used to control user accounts, the entrys we made to know what's next and so on. He firstly started looking behind the scences at the beginning of 2016. He learned verry fast. In the middle of 2016 we had a problem with massive ddos attacks. He asked for the iptables. I never heard this word from him before. I told him to set it up and he did. Darling... welcome as an Administrator!

What i realy want to say is, do never take guys you dont trust and who do not know your community. Also only give ranks if they are experienced enough, even if they need to wait 1 billion years.

greetz

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTV
View Post
I think it makes sense since idk, they're kids? Would you trust a kid to manage your coworkers at the office?
Its unfair when the owner is a kid too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunud
View Post
Less Admins - > Their inactive - > Cheaters takes the part in the server - > Players crying 'admin pls ban' - > Total mess - > Boom!!!!!!!!
Then make a better anticheat.
Install a hack and build an anticheat that prevent all it offers.
I know these hacks can prevent serversided teleports and etc. Then make a anti cheat for this where it checks "is player really teleported?" Nope? You know what to do..

Depends how you want to play it.

Basically you have three options:
A) "To the point" - Professional, just get on with the tasks
B) "Fun" - Interact with the players, trigger activities, bit of banter
C) Combination of both

Any option you pick, provided the administration respect the players then you're golden.

It's always been my method while running a server to find a nice balance between laid back but also fair. I typically have been an admin at Roleplay Servers and owned a few myself.

First off, if I give a person the permission to direct a certain task (let's say Game Affairs), I typically have a hands-off approach unless something starts going wrong.
As far as lower admins, helpers, things like that, I want to make sure that they're the right fit. Generally, it's them who will be handling players the most. If the player receives poor help, they will be less inclined to come back because they will feel that your entire staff is just as useless or improfessional.

I never want to go with a hard-ass, strict style because at the end of the day, we're all playing a game. But, at the same time, I don't want to have admins that will jerk off all day and sit around with their thumbs up their asses. I want admins that will help me do what I need to do. I almost want to say that as the highest admin, I shouldn't have to tend to many issues except for ones that require my attention.

But that's just me, at the very basic level.