Teamspeak vs Discord

Which one would you guys prefer for your server's communication platform (for factions, etc)?

Everyone's using Discord nowadays and it's free to make a server but Discord is awful for voice. If you're generally at it for text, go with Discord but voice, Teamspeak.

Discord idk what the guy above is talking about but it actually makes my mic sound way better

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBrianX
View Post
Discord idk what the guy above is talking about but it actually makes my mic sound way better
Not talking about microphone quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Kane
View Post
Not talking about microphone quality.
This. The guy is asking which is better as a communication platform.

Both have pros and cons. Most of what's written below is taken from another forum. I was lazy to write everything, but I did add my own notes.

Discord advantages
1. Easy to manage.
2. Easy setup
3. Bot extension
4. Easy rank setup
5. Free of charge
6. APIs good for MC Servers rank syncing,
7. Nice Audio quality
8. Beautiful GUI

Discord disadvantages
1. No root access
2. Less extension
3. Audio quality.
4. Buggy/glitchy in-game overlay.
TS advantages
1. Easy to customize
2. Audio Quality
3. Almost no connection problems (If yes it is server misconfiguration)
4. Permission-managment is great
5. Good in-game overlay.

TS disadvantages
1. Ugly GUI
2. It is a pain in setting up
3. You have to own a dedicated server or a VPS or a TS Host for your TS server, it costs money.

I used both of them and so far, for new communities, I can say Discord is the better choice.
It's easy to set everything up, and it has social features that are useful.

However, if you want the pro way and you have the budget, I suggest Teamspeak.
It may be a bitch to set up, but it's more flexible than Discord, and it's made to get you the best voice chat experience.

Teamspeak is better for organization and voice quality imo, Discord is better for text communication and such. I've kind of replaced Skype with Discord; not Teamspeak 3.

Discord is better but the one problem is you don't really own the server. Basically if your account/server get highjacked there is nothing you can do to get it back, once it gone its gone. Ts on the other hand you own the server and have access to the files, console, etc and can make backups

Quality can be set per channel in Discord... Many aren't aware that it's configurable as much as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozm8ey
View Post
Discord is better but the one problem is you don't really own the server. Basically if your account/server get highjacked there is nothing you can do to get it back, once it gone its gone. Ts on the other hand you own the server and have access to the files, console, etc and can make backups
Discord has its own security measures. If you're holding a community on its feet, you should know how to avoid hijacking.
Seriously, in all my life I never had issues with account hijacking. And my personal e-mail address dates since I was 12 years old, when I didn't know shit about computers, yet alone security.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sew_Sumi
View Post
Quality can be set per channel in Discord... Many aren't aware that it's configurable as much as it is.
Can you elaborate? What exactly do you mean by "setting quality"?

Discord is way better. If you wanna talk from phone, discord is free and you can use it anytime whereas you need to pay for a TS app

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeLiOn_PrImE
View Post
Can you elaborate? What exactly do you mean by "setting quality"?
I can help you with this. Channel Settings > Voice Bitrate

Discord for sure

i use Teamspeak since 2013 is good better than discord

Let's take a close look at both:

Teamspeak:
Chatting: not so good.
Voice: really good.
Managing a server: not an easy task
Hassle to host one: also not very easy, you've to pay too

Discord:
Chatting: really awesome
Voice: really good
Managing the server: very easy
Hosting the server: child's play and also it is free.

Here we are with the results, Discord is the clear winner and majority seems to agree with that too

Both Discord and TeamSpeak have its own advantages and disadvantages, most of which were also mentioned in previous posts above. Discord is preferred for general chatting, while TeamSpeak is preferred for organized voice communications.

Roleplay servers, for example, tend to stick to TeamSpeak for its government factions, as it meets the level of organization required for such element. Discord lacks keybind support for voice channels, for one.

Discord, As everything is easy to manage and use in discord than teamspeak..

Quote:
Originally Posted by reemyrobby
View Post
Both Discord and TeamSpeak have its own advantages and disadvantages, most of which were also mentioned in previous posts above. Discord is preferred for general chatting, while TeamSpeak is preferred for organized voice communications.

Roleplay servers, for example, tend to stick to TeamSpeak for its government factions, as it meets the level of organization required for such element. Discord lacks keybind support for voice channels, for one.
Yeeep, Giga summed it up perfectly, Teamspeak is perfect for government factions and such, while Discord is more for text channels etc.

Discord is better right now.

Teamspeak has channel binding, which I don't think discord has. Which is nice, to be able to say talk in an admin chat, then press a button and relay the message to all staff.

I prefer Discord for it's chat options. In fact, it's killed off skype for me in that regards.

I still think that Teamspeak offers better voice capabilities and is something I still use regularly, I rarely use the voice chat features in Discord.

So.. both I guess!

Voice, TeamSpeak and only team speak.
Discord for everything else...