How likely are you to verify your email address

I'm currently working with a team developing a unique roleplay server, we've come up with an idea that I'd love your feedback on.

We don't want just anyone joining our server (hackers mainly) but we also want to ensure the integrity of our data for the web side of things (resetting passwords, account actions, etc..) so an idea we've thought of is when you register, either in game or via the UCP, you're sent across an email containing an activation link, without activating you can't log in and play.

So the question here is, how likely would you be to verify your email address in order to join a community with a strong script and hopefully reasonable player base? Baring in mind LS-RP require you to be whitelisted before you can play and require an extensive roleplay test.

Thanks again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isolated
Посмотреть сообщение
I'm currently working with a team developing a unique roleplay server, we've come up with an idea that I'd love your feedback on.

We don't want just anyone joining our server (hackers mainly) but we also want to ensure the integrity of our data for the web side of things (resetting passwords, account actions, etc..) so an idea we've thought of is when you register, either in game or via the UCP, you're sent across an email containing an activation link, without activating you can't log in and play.

So the question here is, how likely would you be to verify your email address in order to join a community with a strong script and hopefully reasonable player base? Baring in mind LS-RP require you to be whitelisted before you can play and require an extensive roleplay test.

Thanks again
Don't take this in the wrong way but not all samp players are going to even understand what you're trying to put them through (the activation) and hardly any will go through it if they do understand it, my server disallows car spawn and the amount of lazy players i get too lazy to get a car... Yeah you get the point, good luck tho.

Why totally lock unverifieds out? Sure it will annoy some if they join a server, register, and have to alt-tab for youre mails before starting to play. You could set a timeline, like you have to verify the mail within a few days or your account is locked until activation.
So you can join and play without any extra work.

^^ This... A grace period to allow them to see if they are actually into your server...

Highlighted to the playerbase, or just the admins that they are unverified accounts. (Better just for admins/moderator/helpers)

I was about to comment that we decided on a similar method, we thought of two options:

1) allow first time register, then require verification on a secondary login (if they decide they like it)
2) allow X hours/days before requiring it giving ample time to try the server, decide if it's something they wanna be a part of, and then come back to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isolated
Посмотреть сообщение
I was about to comment that we decided on a similar method, we thought of two options:

1) allow first time register, then require verification on a secondary login (if they decide they like it)
2) allow X hours/days before requiring it giving ample time to try the server, decide if it's something they wanna be a part of, and then come back to.
wouldn't that make the whole point of keeping cheaters out invalid? idk im just thinking out loud here

It would cause inconvenience if some bad coding causes frequent crashes. And it does make it harder to build a solid community.
I'd do it, if I like the server enough. You make sure players have a healthy gameplay experience, and that matters a lot.

I honestly don't understand why'd you think someone would not do it, I mean, nowadays frankly every forum/board/community or just a basic website that requires registration would ask you to verify email and most people would do it, as long as you make it easy to understand. Second concern tho', why do you think that verifying email would prevent hackers? I personally have 4 different emails and a vpn, if I want to cheat, you'd have almost no way of finding out who I really am?

My server had have to verify your phone number in order to play
It costs some money but it worked so players had to value their account when they have the bad ideas

unlikely to join a server that requires you to signup/verify in order to join. I would just find another server. I would however verify my account on like a website/forums in order to join the website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauzen
Посмотреть сообщение
Why totally lock unverifieds out? Sure it will annoy some if they join a server, register, and have to alt-tab for youre mails before starting to play. You could set a timeline, like you have to verify the mail within a few days or your account is locked until activation.
This takes away his main idea of filtering out hackers, since cheaters join once, start hacking and get banned. There's no benefit in your suggestion.

The semi-whitelisting had two benefits that we thought of, limiting hackers (admins would be active enough to rapidly ban players who are hacking) but also the people who would be willing to verify their account after spending a trial period on the server would become part of the community, those who aren't willing would find another server and no one loses out.

Although it doesn't stop hackers we feel by introducing a trial period, the hackers would only be on for X hours and would be banned in the first instance from the admin team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arithmetic
what the fuck are you talking about
It isn't rocket science.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jochemd
This takes away his main idea of filtering out hackers, since cheaters join once, start hacking and get banned. There's no benefit in your suggestion.
This ^ .

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozm8ey
Посмотреть сообщение
unlikely to join a server that requires you to signup/verify in order to join. I would just find another server. I would however verify my account on like a website/forums in order to join the website.
Yes because alt tabbing and clicking a link is way too hard nowadays. Or just opening your phone and clicking the link there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreiWow
Посмотреть сообщение
Yes because alt tabbing and clicking a link is way too hard nowadays. Or just opening your phone and clicking the link there.
Of course it is. Youre overestimating today's average samp player.

I would never go to the effort of verifying an email address for a gameserver, SA:MP or otherwise.

Quote:
Посмотреть сообщение
Of course it is. Youre overestimating today's average samp player.
Exactly, that kind of an idea wouldn't be very good for today's samp players, not that im bashing your idea or anything but im just giving out my opinion on this as it is a poll, if i were you i wouldn't do that force verify thing as if even you'll give them a chance to play first before having to go through the verify check it would just make the idea useless in stopping cheaters cuz they will be able to join then, so yeah and like i said sometimes the players are even too lazy to get a car and just keep trying /car /car /car its annoying as fuck but sadly true.

I'd do it if I get to know at least a bit of the server first. If I had to register for even "testing" the server I'd probably not do it, except I know the server from somewhere else.

To dodge hackers, you could limit them to a zone/world/the tutorial etc so even if you allow playing without activation, a hacker couldn't really do any "damage".

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaS
Посмотреть сообщение
I'd do it if I get to know at least a bit of the server first. If I had to register for even "testing" the server I'd probably not do it, except I know the server from somewhere else.

To dodge hackers, you could limit them to a zone/world/the tutorial etc so even if you allow playing without activation, a hacker couldn't really do any "damage".
The biggest issue is warp hackers right now, people who will enter cars and throw them across the server. I suppose you could prevent them from getting in cars during their trial period.